Gaming Comparison, 2gb vs 4gb. 4gb FTW!

Mike Clements

Gone but not Forgotten
One of our guys, Gareth Ogden, did some extensive testing and found some interesting results when gaming with 2gb vs 4gb. One thing a lot of people that read this tend to overlook is the minimum frame rate. If you have gamed on older gear or bought some new title that brings your system to its knees then you'll realize what he's talking about. Max frame rate is a pretty number but, playability is most affected by the minimum framerate and how long a system stays at that minimum frame rate. Who cares if your system can do 500 FPS on an intro screen. When you drop to 10 FPS during a heavy fight you get killed.

It's sorta long but a good read. http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf

good article, i can now prove to my friends that 4GB is useful, as they don't seem to realise it's potential. thanks for this.

also, while i was reading i thought i recognized the name Gareth Ogden, he's the guy that built the cover rig in this one issue of Custom pc back when the 8800GTX was just coming out (i forget which issue though). you can tell him that i got the mag here in Australia, and i was very impressed with his work.

i noticed my TF2 loading times greatly reduced when i installed my 4 gb. TF2 usus about 1.8-1.9GB when im playing

I read that article a few weeks back... while I might agree... I wouldn't trust anything a memory company is telling me about needing more RAM. lol

But from personal experience... I'd agree.

Looks good, I was trying to decide, with DDR2 being so cheap, if I wanted 4 or 8gigs of ram. Since this shows that it really does have an impact on the game area, I think I will bite the bullet and get the 8gigs.:)

I read that article a few weeks back... while I might agree... I wouldn't trust anything a memory company is telling me about needing more RAM. lol

But from personal experience... I'd agree.
LOL...obviously we do like for people to buy more memory. But, the cool thing here is that this is very useful info that can be easily duplicated by skeptics. This isn't some obscure marketing nugget.

I went ahead and maxed out my motherboard to 8 GB, i know probably over kill for the things I do. But eh

Back 5 years ago when 1 gig was becoming the standard I dropped 2 gigs in my machine and its been fine for the last 4 to 5ish years. I'm glad I had that forsight to see that trend so I didn't have to upgrade later down the road. Minus the 6600gt that wow killed (heat from to many raids :p) I've not touched my PC in 4 to 5 years and it runs awesome still. Once I build my next PC 8 gigs is going to be put in the badboy so another 4 to 5 years can be had :).

LOL...no such thing as overkill. You can never have too many bullets, too much horsepower, etc etc ;)

bah, I heard it as, "You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much memory or HD space. "

The other famous one is

"Never under estimate the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with backup tapes. "

Good read. Seems solid. Thanks.

I think I'll be sticking to Kingston HyperX. With Corsair and OCz, between my buddy and I have gone through a total of 6kits of RAM. That to me is not acceptable. I would get OCz, and a month later it would just die, same thing with Corsair, no OCing ether.

I think I'll be sticking to Kingston HyperX. With Corsair and OCz, between my buddy and I have gone through a total of 6kits of RAM. That to me is not acceptable. I would get OCz, and a month later it would just die, same thing with Corsair, no OCing ether.
Well, the point of the thread deals with memory amounts, not brand names.

Well, the point of the thread deals with memory amounts, not brand names.

I know, I was commenting on the post before mine. I still don't know if I will be getting Kingston, Corsair, or G.Skill until I am ready to place my order in about a week.

LOL...obviously we do like for people to buy more memory. But, the cool thing here is that this is very useful info that can be easily duplicated by skeptics. This isn't some obscure marketing nugget.

Can I get some free memory if I praise the virtues of extra memory? I need some DDR3. =)

Back