9800gx2's Quald SLI to 2x gtx 280 SLI @1680x1050

Thannatos

n00b
I've seen a whole lot of people spewing disappointment at these cards, so I'd like to throw in my $0.02 worth.

First, please don't comment on sli not being worth it for 1680x1050. That's a rediculous claim. That resolution looks pretty good to me, and the sheer number of pixels is pretty demanding, so if you don't like it, pfffff.

I have a 750i sli ftw from evga, a q9450 oc'd to 3.6ghz, 2x2gb corsair xms2 ddr2 @ 900mhz sitting in a coolermaster stacker with the 1000w psu, and yes, i run vista ultimate x64.

The quad sli 9800gx2's were quite a remarkable difference from my 7800gtx. The step i felt was pretty substantial. I overclocked the buggers to 700mhz core, linked shaders to whatever they went to, and 1100mhz for the memory.

With that setup i was able to get crysis running at all vhigh settings, but the average fps was around 25. Now, that's "playable," except the quad sli was stuttering and all around crapping itself most of the time. It wasn't exactly enjoyable, and forget AA in just about every game except anything released on the source engine (even oblivion liked to make the cards cry).

So when the gtx280's arrived i thought why not, step up for 100 more.

I installed the things last night, and, while they still maintain that brick-like look and feel, I suppose i'm getting my money's worth or mortar at the very least. So while i'm cramming this into my case, i feel i should get my monies worth, and oc the buggers a little over evga's wtf, i mean ftw, edition - 675 core, 1500 shader, 1225 memory, and dont' forget 100% fan (after the other crap blowing in my case, i can't even hear these at full load).

Just for shits and giggles, i load crysis and push everything to cap. Even 16xQAA. Why not right? It's been pretty much a slide show on 2 9800gx2's, how badly with this rape the new guys?

I'm afraid, that rather than being on the receiving end of yet another crysis raping, crysis was literally bent over. With vsync enabled, the game never dipped below 45fps. Never. Fraps never showed a slide below 45. All very high, maxed AA, maxed AF, rediculous.

I'd just like to say i've never seen anything more beautiful in my life. The game looked about as good as the palm trees right outside my window. I'm very impressed with this generation, and at this resolution, this is at minimum a 3 fold increase over the 9800gx2's.

So while benchmarks may show the 9800gx2 winning, or coming close, the game play is completely different. You are seriously getting your monies worth from these cards, atleast I am.

This is really what I've been hearing - the GTX280 may come off as being subpar, comparable to GX2 with all these graphs, but the experience is another thing in itself.

Thanks for sharing.

Couldn't agree more. Though one of my 280's needs to be RMA'ed. However for the first five minutes before I started getting stutters because of a bad card, Crysis ran great, averaging around 35 FPS in one of the jungle areas.

Back