4 x 16GB Mtron MOBI RAID0 on HighPoint 3520

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Got a couple things to iron out:
1) Can't seem to update the firmware on the HighPoint 3520. The flash utility for Windows just won't run. Tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP like I had to do when I flashed my Highpoint 2320, but that didn't work.
2) I think port 1 is bad on the card. When I connect the SSDs to it, nothing shows up on port 1-6. Port 2 works fine. Guess I will have to RMA it.

I also have benchmarks from the Intel ICH9R and HighPoint 2320 controllers.
Information is in my thread at XS
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191446

hdtachhighpointdp9.png

highpointreadgd5.png

highpointwriteyx5.png

I have a five drive setup. 5x16GB Sata Mobi and here is what I get:

With ICH10R: 410 MB/Sec (chaching enabled through storage manager)
With Rocketraid 3520: 420MB/sec (with writeback or writethrough caching)

I also tried a 4 drive setup and I get about 350MB/sec when I shlould be getting more than 400MB/sec like you did.

Looks like my Mobis are limited to about 88Mb/sec per drive. I verified this by testing a single MTRON setup with: ICH10R,Rocketraid 3520,Nforce 430. All of them gave me about 88MB/sec!

Do you think this limitation might be related to the known problematic AHCI support of the Mobis ? Any ideas what is happening here? :confused:

I have a five drive setup. 5x16GB Sata Mobi and here is what I get:

With ICH10R: 410 MB/Sec (chaching enabled through storage manager)
With Rocketraid 3520: 420MB/sec (with writeback or writethrough caching)

I also tried a 4 drive setup and I get about 350MB/sec when I shlould be getting more than 400MB/sec like you did.

Looks like my Mobis are limited to about 88Mb/sec per drive. I verified this by testing a single MTRON setup with: ICH10R,Rocketraid 3520,Nforce 430. All of them gave me about 88MB/sec!

Do you think this limitation might be related to the known problematic AHCI support of the Mobis ? Any ideas what is happening here? :confused:
what known problematic AHCI support are you referring to?

I have tested the rocketraid 3520 on an ASUS A8N-VM/CSM (nforce) as well as on Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 (intel P45).

I tried pretty much all bios setting except AHCI which I couldnt get it working.

I see that you performed a write test with HD tune pro. This means that your 4x16GB array was not setup as a boot drive. (eitherwise the write test with hd tune pro would be impossible).

If this is the case, is your main boot drive working in AHCI mode?

I have tested the rocketraid 3520 on an ASUS A8N-VM/CSM (nforce) as well as on Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 (intel P45).

I tried pretty much all bios setting except AHCI which I couldnt get it working.

I see that you performed a write test with HD tune pro. This means that your 4x16GB array was not setup as a boot drive. (eitherwise the write test with hd tune pro would be impossible).

If this is the case, is your main boot drive working in AHCI mode?

it's kinda hard to remember, but I believe everything was in AHCI mode
of course you will have some trouble getting that to work if you installed Windows while in IDE mode because it only installs the drivers if you're already connected via AHCI
what I did was turn on AHCI, then did a clean install of Windows
it's gotta be a setting or something somewhere, I find it hard to believe you have 5 defective drives

if you're using Vista, there is a registry setting or something you can change that will enable AHCI support after installing, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
not sure if there is something like this for XP, but I don't think there is

I did a clean install of WinXP with AHCI enabled in bios.
During setup I pressed F6 and loaded the latest Intel AHCI driver.
In the device manager under IDE CONTROLLER the intel AHCI driver is shown loaded.
However the speed is I am still at 85Mb/sec...

EnderW can you please tell us what firmware version is your MTRON and what firmware version is your Highpoint 3520? Thanks

I did a clean install of WinXP with AHCI enabled in bios.
During setup I pressed F6 and loaded the latest Intel AHCI driver.
In the device manager under IDE CONTROLLER the intel AHCI driver is shown loaded.
However the speed is I am still at 85Mb/sec...

I contacted MTRON support and they said that there is a known issue with Highpoint 3520. EnderW can you please tell us what firmware version is your MTRON and what firmware version is your Highpoint 3520? Thanks

that's strange
did they give specifics on what the issue was?
there is another guy at OC Forums with the same setup, had same results as me
I can't remember what firmware the 3520 was, not the latest because I could never get it to update, but the Mtron disks were the latest, 1.07 or something I think

only thing I can think is try Vista

I ve tried Win 2008 server - same results.

Ok 0.17 is the Mtron firmware. I tried downgrading my MTRON from 0.18 to 0.17 but it is impossible to do it. - don't know why.

Do you think you can remember the firmware of the Rocketraid?

I found the post in OC forums. Lets see if SteveRo remembers the firmware ver.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=552010

Thanks

Back