My Visiontek HD4850 w/ AC Accelero S1

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
Note to the mods: I thought this might fit better here in the Video Card section, since its in regards to a very popular card at the time of this posting, but if it belongs elsewhere I apologize in advance.

Some notes: (Updated @ 2:57AM central: Per CPUID Hardware Monitor, my temps are now between 37-40c at idle.) I do not have the equipment necessary to accurately measure temps at the chip. At the time of first modding this I did not have software to monitor my GPU temp. I just know the stock heatsink and fan even at idle was enough to burn my finger when touching the heatsink, or would have if I didn't recoil back instantly. As it is now, its approximately room temp at idle, if not slightly warmer. I know this mod has been posted before, but I RTFM'ed for my Accelero, and yes it does work in the same manner, clips and all. Others seemed to have just ghetto-modded theirs. Mine is a partial ghetto mod with zip-tying the fan to the Accelero S1.

This is a Visiontek HD4850, using the supplied ramsinks from the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 kit, as well as some blue Zalman ones for, I believe they are called the voltage regulators and pwms? Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive was used to hold the ramsinks down, but for the sake of time and frustration I went with the supplied adhesive padding on the Zalmans. This is my first time working with epoxy, and cooling a graphics card with a custom cooler so I am quite the noob to video card cooling. I have read a lot on the subject, and I more or less went into this with the utmost paranoia, and yet referring to what's already been done with the stock heatsink and just applying the same in heatsinking this unit.

The fan: Scythe "Slip Stream" 120mm fan. Per the box, 40.17CFMs @ 10.70dBA

My original setup for the ramsinks. I unfortunately found out that the heatpipes weren't clearing that bottom one...

So I just used one of the Zalman ones instead. the compound of choice for the GPU is Arctic Silver 5.

Closeup of the ramsink. This was more of me trying to do a proper closeup with my SD870 IS than anything. It's also taught me that even with image stabilization, I still shake too much when I hit the button. Did I also mention this is the first time I've used a digital camera in about 6 or 8 years? :D Feel free to critique my photography skills, or lack thereof. I seriously want to learn how to take better pictures.

Back of the card. I wasn't sure if there was anything on this side I should've applied a sink to, but seeing as nothing was on here to begin with, I assumed I didn't need anything.

Tried to get a better shot of the back, but the flash apparently works a little too well up close. I tried to show that the mounting holes do in fact line up with the mount. They go into the outer edge threads in each corner of the mount. Anyone who owns this will know of the inside set and the outer set. The outer set is what lined up for me, and yes you need to use the little black spacers on this as well.

I'm not sure what the hell this is, or if it even needs a heatsink, or if it might be a good idea to put one on. All I know is, in reference to the stock heatsink, there was nothing on this little thing.

A close up of the capacitors, and more stuff that wasn't heatsinked and not sure if I should anyway. People on the [H] seem to love identifying caps, so I decided to provide pics.

More capacitors, and a closeup of the Zalmans I put on. The two on the right side are covering four individual chips. It was the only configuration I could think of that would fit while providing coverage as well as clearance, while being the least restrictive of airflow.

Zalmans at a better angle.

The Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 with clips to hold the cooler to the card. There wasn't any real struggle in doing this, but as its been noted before, one clip does end up going over the crossfire bridge. I tried to find a way to squeeze it on without resorting to that, but to no avail without risk of breaking something on the card.

I unfortunately don't have a pic of the whole thing assembled. I will say this though: I have a CoolerMaster Stacker 830 case, and the width of the case itself provides clearance for the added height of the Accelero. However, doing so requires the removal of the fan-cage that sits on the inside. I attempted to fit it anyway, but doing so only makes the Accelero shift on top of the card. So those of you who actually make use of that fan-cage will be disappointed.

All in all, I'm happy with my setup. The stock Intel heatsink fan in my case is louder than the Scythe, even zip-tied. On the zip-tying note, be VERY careful not to tie it too tightly, as you may end up bending fins, or in my case, warping/bowing the plastic. I lined up the fan so it would spread the air out evenly over the whole card, since I was doing a single fan design and not a two/three fan setup. I was going for silence with efficiency, so, your setups may vary.

I posted this so that other HD4850 owners could see what needs to be done and how to fit this properly, when using the Accelero S1 Rev. 2 kit. When I have the time, I will take pictures of it in my case as well as with the whole assembly. I will update this thread accordingly.

This might be dumb, but don't you want the heatsink to be hot to the touch? Wouldn't that mean that it is properly dissipating the heat? If the heatsink was room temperature, that means that the heat wouldn't be leaving the GPU :confused:

looks very nice indeed. I want to fit a accelero s1 on the 4870...but i forgot ill need to cool all the capasitors.

This might be dumb, but don't you want the heatsink to be hot to the touch? Wouldn't that mean that it is properly dissipating the heat? If the heatsink was room temperature, that means that the heat wouldn't be leaving the GPU :confused:

I originally tested the Accelero S1 to make sure that it was collecting the heat properly, by going fanless. It was quite hot to the touch, just like the original stock heatsink. So I knew it was properly mated to the GPU and drawing the heat away.

My understanding is that you don't want the heatsink to be hot because it means it's collecting heat, but that heat isn't being dissipated anywhere once its been collected. Its just being drawn away from the source, which is only half the issue with cooling something that gets as hot as modern processors do. At least, that's how I came to understand it.

I used the same ramsinks on my pwms as well!

I used the tacky foam stuff that came on the stock cooler to get the ramsink that came with the Accelero affixed to the memory. I have heard complaints that they adheasive on the ramsinks doesnt hold very well. I am hoping the tacky will help it stick better. So far so good... Been gaming for the last 2 hours solid and they are still on there good. I still may get some thermal tape just to be safe down the road.

My ~ temps btw: 37-38c idle, 49c after playing AoC for 2 hours according to CPUID HWM

Great job! Congrats on the mod and enjoy you new extremely cool HD 4850!

Were you able to get a temp reading before you put the Accelero on there?

Nope. I have no means of taking temp readings. I can only go by touch at the moment.

Edit: Ok, now I do. :) But as far as temps on the stock heatsink goes, i've heard people getting temps between 75-81C on their stock ones, if that gives any idea.

I used the same ramsinks on my pwms as well!

I used the tacky foam stuff that came on the stock cooler to get the ramsink that came with the Accelero affixed to the memory. I have heard complaints that they adheasive on the ramsinks doesnt hold very well. I am hoping the tacky will help it stick better. So far so good... Been gaming for the last 2 hours solid and they are still on there good. I still may get some thermal tape just to be safe down the road.

My ~ temps btw: 37-38c idle, 49c after playing AoC for 2 hours according to CPUID HWM

Great job! Congrats on the mod and enjoy you new extremely cool HD 4850!

Just downloaded that app to see if this would finally take a temp reading. I'm at 39c idle at the moment. And thanks!

Do you think a modification to the cooler could be made in order to make sure the crossfire link can be connected?

AC sells a custom extended (and flexible IIRC) SLI cable for about $5. I'm not sure if they have such a thing for DAAMIT/CF, but I'd imagine that they do. Check their site, I think they sell the cables directly, via an eGay store. Otherwise, one of the usual AC retailers should have something.

Heat isn't the same thing as temperature.

Something can have a heat output of just 25W and be burning hot if the heat dissipation isn't high. For example, if you take the heatsink off a low-voltage CPU.

But if you have sufficient heat dissipation (read cooling) then something can have 100W heat output and still be only a little warm to touch. An example would be my Q6600 when overclocked to 3.6GHz cooled with my Scythe Ninja.

Put it this way, if it's hot to the touch, you need a bigger heat sink.

Back