Asus 4850 $150 after promo code and MIR

Use code "VGA62320" when you buy this at Newegg and get $20 off. Then mail in this and get another $30 back.
It will come out to be $165 for me since I had to pay state tax, but I still jumped all over it.

:eek:

Wow, man this is tempting, but I really need to hold out for a while.

Ordered. Now it's time to take back the HD3870 from BB. Only $25AR more for this Asus card is a steal.

Screw it, In For One!

Now how do I explain this to the wife that I have 2 perfectly good video cards and neither of which will work in her computer.. (agp)

Wow, that's a total of $165.00 for me for the Asus 4850. I think I got a better deal than the BB deal for $149.99 + tax for the Visiontek brand.

Which brand is better anyway, Asus or Visiontek?

Wow, that's a total of $165.00 for me for the Asus 4850. I think I got a better deal than the BB deal for $149.99 + tax for the Visiontek brand.

Which brand is better anyway, Asus or Visiontek?

For the warranty alone, Visiontek beats Asus.

Screw it, In For One!

Now how do I explain this to the wife that I have 2 perfectly good video cards and neither of which will work in her computer.. (agp)

I would go for sock puppets. :D If nothing else I am sure it will make her laugh.

I bit, I just can't help it! I dont even have any good games to play on it but I just plain wanted one... /shrug

Couldn't resist. Had been waiting for the 4870 reviews and just doesn't seem to be worth it for me to spend twice as much when I can get this for $150 or later on add a second card for nothing or very little more than one 4870.

Bye Bye 3870.

In for one. I was going to get a 4870, but I can get this, play what I want, and get another cheaper when the time comes for Crossfire.

I believe I read on Slickdeals the promo code is only valid today. I can't say for sure though.

these are good cards, i just don't like the heat they produce, supposedly the 2nd batch of 4850's are going to have much better cooling

Screw it, In For One!

you don't explain it, you just tell her you're getting her a faster computer - it's a win-win situation!

For the warranty alone, Visiontek beats Asus.

Yeah, that's what I'm waffling on. $300 for the ASUS, shorter warranty, fan speed control :) or $400 for the Visiontek with the better warranty and Mass Effect HSF. :) I have a feeling I'm going to go cheap, because I've never had to warranty any video card I've ever owned. Which of course means these will A SPLODE in 53 weeks.

Edit- ah, actually get $30 off the 2 cards. You only get the one $20 on both cards, not $40 total, but buying 2 or more saves you $5 on each card, so after rebate the price would be $336 with tax.

you don't explain it, you just tell her you're getting her a faster computer - it's a win-win situation!

Actually I called and told her I picked up a Vid Card. Then she asked if it was the 4850 on slick deal and when I said yes, it was ALL good. Gotta love a wife that understands jumping on good deals.

img5.jpg
Actually I called and told her I picked up a Vid Card. Then she asked if it was the 4850 on slick deal and when I said yes, it was ALL good. Gotta love a wife that understands jumping on good deals.

You're a lucky man lol. This deal is pretty hot! The 8800GT's were at this price at what, a month or two ago?

Use code "VGA62320" when you buy this at Newegg and get $20 off. Then mail in this and get another $30 back.
It will come out to be $165 for me since I had to pay state tax, but I still jumped all over it.

:eek:

I hate you :(

Actually, my debit card hates you now ... in for one.

these are good cards, i just don't like the heat they produce, supposedly the 2nd batch of 4850's are going to have much better cooling

the reason it runs so hot is it runs at 500mhz in 2d mode(this can be fixed by flashing the newest msi bios at techpowerup) and the fan doesn't run on until at least 80c(d/l gpu-z and look for yourself)
edit: here is a pic of my gpu-z

:D

As I asked a previous 4850 topic; could you not just use RivaTuner (or the bundled Asus software) to crank up the fan by hand?

I tried riva tuner and it doesn't support card or driver I guess, because there was no option for me to change the fan speed, also i flashed the msi bios and it took my idle temps from the low to mid 70's to the low 60's

the reason it runs so hot is it runs at 500mhz in 2d mode(this can be fixed by flashing the newest msi bios at techpowerup) and the fan doesn't run on until at least 80c(d/l gpu-z and look for yourself)
edit: here is a pic of my gpu-z

So what temps are you getting now?

Thank of it this way, the HD 4850 really is the new 8800GT, right down to the heat problems the first GTs had. :p

So you can lower the clock speed when in 2D mode to reduce idle temps?

Also ASUS has a 3 year warranty on video cards, as opposed to the VisionTek lifetime warranty.
But seriously, who on [H] will own this card in 3 years? I guess some people will, and if the warranty means that much to you then pay $199 for the lifetime.

But for most of us, 3 years is more than enough.

[edit]
Holy shit guy, your fan is completely off? 0%?
That doesn't seem right at all. Otherwise, 63C passive with such a small heatsink is damn amazing. I think your fan is off because you fixed the 2D clock speed. Otherwise it would be ~20%. Interesting results though. Combine that with the ASUS fan speed control and you could see some sweet temps (@ idle of course...).

Yeah it's a silly new law that people here are calling the "amazon tax" its because Newegg has an affiliate program, and because an affiliate lives in NY they are considered to "reside in the state" even though they don't have a shipping center here...

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/04/amazon-objects.html

// moving on saturday :-P
/// unrelated to the sales tax

In for one as well.

Does the fan spool up in Vista, with Aero running? 0% fan seems odd.

Back