DoubleSight DS-265W Official discussion!

lobski

Limp Gawd
275wmainban20080624.jpg

It's official... There's teaser/splash image of the DS-265W on the Doublesight website. I am getting excited! But it's too bad it's almost 2-3 months away!

So far we know:

Same panel
Better stand (Vertical movement)
???

I am gonna try and return my DS-263N. I'm hoping that this model ships with the polarizer with every unit. The new logo looks nice. :D

I am gonna try and return my DS-263N. I'm hoping that this model ships with the polarizer with every unit. The new logo looks nice. :D

The DS-263N being shorted was a blessing in disguise... I ordered from Provantage but they didn't even charge my credit card yet, since it was backorded for a few weeks. Then I canceled it after hearing about the new model. I *REALLY* hope they put out a lot of units. I might buy 10 just for fun.

Shiny bezel? Ugh.

I already have a Planar PX2611W which has been awesome so far, but I'm looking at getting another monitor. If the DS-265W has the polarizer, it would be the perfect monitor for me--IPS for accurate colors, 2 DVI inputs, good size, and incredible price if it stays at $700.

Look at me, talking about a polarizer even though I just learned about it today and don't really know what it's for :D What does it do anyway? Just eliminate white bloom when viewed from an angle, or does it also improve on-axis viewing?

The charcoal, grooved bezel with no rounded corners and a rectangular gold logo on the 263 is fugly. Hope they improve that. Look at LG or HP's stuff to see a nice design.

NO , ive been hearing sometime in July the new monitor will be released.

Another 2-3 month ? Not sure I can wait for that long. Perhaps I will just pay a bit more to get a Planar PX2611W. Wait, do we canadian even get to buy that model ?

Yes we are actually getting ready to release a new Product Family of LCD Monitors. The new model information will be available from our retailers in about a week. The actual products will ship late July. The models and their panels are as follows:

New 5 Series for July:
DS-245W - 24" S-PVA
DS-265W - 26" LG-IPS
DS-275W - 27" S-PVA
DS-305W - 30" LG-IPS

So if you can wait a few weeks, we would appreciate you giving ours a try.

Sincerely,
Dario

Dario DellaMaggiore
Director of Sales

From a post by mckrautski on anandtech - http://forums.anandtech.com/message...did=2049206&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=242

I bet the PVA panel models have really high input lag. I'm gonna go for the 26" IPS.

Considering the current 26" is ~700 US, what would you guys pay for the NEW model?

How about the 30"?

Considering the current 26" is ~700 US, what would you guys pay for the NEW model?

$700.

How about the 30"?

$700 :D j/k. Wow, a "cheap" 30" IPS. I wonder just how cheap it'll be. 30" really isn't a good size for me (a bit too big for the distance I'd need to sit to read text clearly), but I'd be extremely tempted if it somehow comes in at $1000 or less.

Not bad. A new product line without a single TN in sight. Here's hoping they sell out everywhere to give all the other monitor makers a clue.

Are all the new IPS models going to have the polarizer by default? Or will it be another lottery? Also, an H-IPS 30" with polarizer that comes in at under-$1,000 (and hopefully keeps the same low input lag as the 26")? That'd be something I could break my bank account for.

Not bad. A new product line without a single TN in sight. Here's hoping they sell out everywhere to give all the other monitor makers a clue.

Are all the new IPS models going to have the polarizer by default? Or will it be another lottery? Also, an H-IPS 30" with polarizer that comes in at under-$1,000 (and hopefully keeps the same low input lag as the 26")? That'd be something I could break my bank account for.

I thought the new W model will have 100% polarizers. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

I emailed Doublesight about the new DS-265W and asked if it would come with a polarizer. Here is the two emails I got from Doublesight..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS-265W will use the same IPS panel as the DS-263N. The changes are cosmetic to the housing and stand. ETA is August 1st.

Thanks,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes – the Polarizer is part of the standard build. It will have a HDMI connector, as well as, component inputs. Street Price will be within a few dollars of the DS-263N.

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales

:D

"Director of Sales"

sounds like someone we can trust ;)

I really hope that the new 30-inch will have the same polarizer

HDMI and component inputs? That's more than just cosmetic. It looks like this will be a totally different monitor. I hope that doesn't mean more lag.

I went through quite a bit of research (called Doublesight directly) to find out that the 263N has a polarizer but not the A-TW polarizer. I even asked the technician about the 265N, and the technician said that it will just be a standard panel with no A-TW polarizer.

Be careful when they say that it will have a polarizer. All panels of that type have a polarizer.

I also had DS email me directly so that I could have something in writing for newegg:

Hello Bryan,

As discussed, the DoubleSight DS-263N does not have an additional polarizer. The LG Panel (LM260WU1) comes with a standard panel but we have added nothing in addition.

Best regards,

Ronay McClay

I still think it's a great screen even without the A-TW polarizer. I don't think I am going to send this back to newegg even though they will pay for shipping and all that (I also am missing the box).

I'm looking forward to the release of this line as well. I'll be purchasing a 26" and a 30" for the boxes my wife and I are getting for Starcraft II and Fallout 3.

My concerns are similar to others...

1) Input lag increase?
2) Will either one have a scaler built in?
3) Finding a reseller who has a return policy so that I can get two monitors sans dead/stuck pixels

In regards to point 3, I called up Doublesight and asked about direct sales. They're going to fix up their online store, but they require 7 dead pixels for return... When are manufacturers going to start standing behind their products better? I realize Doublesight only repackages the panels they buy (from LG?) but I certainly wouldn't consider it acceptable to purchase a new car with a tiny hole in one of the engine's cylinders. In my opinion, if a problem impairs the normal use of the product, it is a defective product.

In my opinion, if a problem impairs the normal use of the product, it is a defective product.
Unfortunately, not enough people share that view so we are stuck with gambling on pixel perfect monitors. It's too late to fix this, because any manufacturer offering it would have to raise prices to compensate, making them non-competitive. I'd like to see them offer an optional premium, but then the main line would suffer and be tough to sell.

we multiple doublesight monitor setups here and all i gotta say is that their DS-1700s monitors suck donkey nutz

bad ground on VGA = noise rolling through picture and the DVI cuts in and out randomly on the right side.............it's the same on every single setup..............

It's great to hear that Doublesight has their new monitors are coming out, particularly the DS-265W (because I was originally gonna buy the 263N, but not anymore). Since this "Director Of Sales" said it's going to be virtually the same price as the 263N, same panel, better stand, HDMI inputs, I think this is awesome. The 30" version looks very interesting as well, but I'll have to see what what the price is to clarify my answer better.

I'm hoping that when this new line of monitors from DS is released (August 1st was it?), that there is actually ample supply for a change. Also, hoping for Canadian retailers as well!

Cyane

I emailed Doublesight about the new DS-265W and asked if it would come with a polarizer. Here is the two emails I got from Doublesight..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS-265W will use the same IPS panel as the DS-263N. The changes are cosmetic to the housing and stand. ETA is August 1st.

Thanks,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes – the Polarizer is part of the standard build. It will have a HDMI connector, as well as, component inputs. Street Price will be within a few dollars of the DS-263N.

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales

:D

If we assume this comes with DVI (and I see no reason it wouldn't), then this will have addressed all of my concerns. Well...maybe not the audio-out (when using HDMI), but that was my only complaint with the 263 - not enough inputs.

Poked around to customer service and got an interesting response today:

"Thank you for your interest in the DoubleSight Displays Monitors. The outgoing model is the DS-263N. The new Model is the DS-265W. We are building the DS-265W with the same IPS panel with an A-TW polarizer. We are adding new inputs and the model will have DVI, HDMI and Component. We are also updating the stand to include height and pivot functionality. There will be on board speakers.

DoubleSight Displays is releasing several new Wide Screen LCD Monitors in July in sizes ranging from 24” to 30”. Final specifications for each will be available from the DoubleSight web site very soon. Our resellers will begin posting the new models in the first part of July.

I am sorry but we do not have a 0 dead pixel policy."

I also called and was told the monitor wouldn't be available until August, so I don't know for sure. (I had specifically asked about July in the e-mail.)

Everything sounds good to me except the speakers...I really don't want speakers on my monitor.

I'm hoping NCIX will have it to get the extra insurance on it to avoid any pixel issues.

Alright. This is great, newegg sent my pre-paid shipping label out today to return my DS-263BN. I'm glad they are aware of the A-TW Polarizer, and that it will be included. :D

That's super interesting. I think I am going to try to send my current screen back even though I don't have the box for it anymore. :|

This looks to be good. The DS-263N was a good monitor but it was a "cheap' monitor. The stand was finicky, it was hard to plug in a DVI cable into the first DVI port, and I know my monitor as well as others here, had a problem were the monitor's casing wasn't flush in one corner. Double Sight really could become a GOOD panel manufacturer if they pump out an even higher quality product, with a good price and more inputs to boot. :D

what is "LG" IPS??

any idea if this is the same panel in the NEC LCD3090WUXi??

LG made IPS, which is probably LG's H-IPS panel. Not sure if it's the same one used in the NEC LCD3090 (which is also an LG H-IPS panel) as I haven't kept up with how many different 30 inch LCD panels there are.

Guess I'll hold off on my LCD decision for another month.

Back