4850 BIOS Flash Sets Idle Clock Right

ChronoReverse

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bit the bullet and tried the updated BIOS for my 4850. After setting my card back to defaults in the CCC, it started to idle properly.

470.png

Instead of idling at 500MHz Core and 750MHz Memory, it's now idling at 160MHz Core and 500MHz Memory.

I'm going to run some benchmarks to see if there's any performance loss from this BIOS.
Okay, I've ran a few benchmarks and it performs identically and feels identical in gameplay too.

My card is an HIS model but the BIOS I used is the MSI one.

I did a MD5sum on the original BIOS from HIS and MSI and they were absolutely identical (as are every single other 4850 except the Asus one). I reasoned that the BIOS should thus work without any issue and it did.

I think Asus's tool simply detects their own cards which means a tool that can control the fan for all models should be possible regardless of the BIOS.

My card is an HIS model but the BIOS I used is the MSI one.

I did a MD5sum on the original BIOS from HIS and MSI and they were absolutely identical (as are every single other 4850 except the Asus one). I reasoned that the BIOS should thus work without any issue and it did.
My Asus 4850 is on the way. Does the Asus card idle properly?

Any results yet on your benchmarks?

I've updated my original post and it performs identically.

The Asus cards are like all the other cards and idle at the incorrect clocks. This BIOS came from the newer MSI cards apparently.

So all the 4850 and 4870s in the wild will need a bios flash? Wonder how many will die in the process. RMAs galore. Lame.

I don't know about that. It's clear that the chips can survive at that temperature because load isn't much higher.

If the cards can't survive long periods of load on stock, then they'd be pretty useless.

The only real effect of this BIOS is cooler idle temperatures and lower overall power draw.

Incidentally, it'd be nice if someone with the stock cooler tried this. I have a 3rd-part cooler so the benefits of this BIOS is marginal at best. I wonder if the idle temperature would drop significantly.

I've updated my original post and it performs identically.

The Asus cards are like all the other cards and idle at the incorrect clocks. This BIOS came from the newer MSI cards apparently.
Do you know if MSI bios will work on Asus card?

Thanks!

I've also got an Asus 4850 on the way. Will it be possible or necessary to flash the BIOS to address the fan speed issue? I'd like this to work nice and cool, not like a space heater :p

I've corresponded with Forge a bit at the Techreport forums and he sees a drop from 80 Celsius idle to 65 Celsius.

Not a tremendous drop but still brings it down to a lot more comfortable levels. He set his clocks using a BIOS editor though so perhaps the MSI BIOS has even more tricks to bring the temperatures down. It would be great if someone tests this on a stock 4850

With BIOS edits you can also change the rates at which the auto-fan speeds are set but it doesn't appear to be necessary if you simply have this BIOS as the temperatures are already quite manageable.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...ufacturer=&model=HD+4850&interface=&memSize=0
Use the MSI June 5, 2008 BIOS

You can also use ATIWinflash.

With that said, just tried it on my VisionTek 4850 but it still idles at 500/750. Only saw it go to 160/500 once - for a fraction of a second. Back to the original BIOS for me, it seems.

Did you remember to hit "Defaults" in the CCC and then apply after hitting "Test Custom Clocks"?

Was idling at 80C, now at 60C. (Holding an 80mm fan close to it to get the idle temps down quicker.)

Nice! So we know this works.

Hopefully ATI can push something similar out with drivers so that PowerPlay is working for everyone.

*edit*
PG from Anandtech also confirms this works. It looks like it's a good workaround for now.

I didn't see much difference on my Visiontek 4850 but I'm not very patient either. I also got weird Aero corruption in Vista twice in a row after rebooting, so I flashed back to the stock BIOS. I was not OCed.

Also, I already get 65-70c idle on my card (if I let it sit long enough) with the stock cooler and 500/750 BIOS. The voltage mentioned in both BIOSes are the same, are you guys sure this isn't placebo?

I have done this with the Radeon Bios Editor 1.11, sweet idling at 160.
You can also overclock over the 700 boundary.
My 4850 is currently running at 750 at 1.24v, so the same as 4870.
:DDD

Very nice, good work. Out of town and separated from my 4850, will try it when I get home. Not that it ever idles since it's folding when not gaming, but it's the principle of the thing.

So basically flashing will lower the temps? I opened up my case last night and i couldn't believe how hot my 2 4850 visionteks in crossfire were running! :eek:

Could ChronoReverse or someone let me know if the MSI bios would work on an Asus card? In earlier post ChronoReverse said the MD5sum on the Asus card did not match the HIS or MSI cards.

Thanks!

I'd do this, but I've already voided the warranty on my Visiontek. :(

I totally lucked out putting that Accelero on it, being my first time doing that. I'm so not losing this card. LOL

Did you rip a warranty sticker or something?
If the card dies, can't you just put the stock cooler back on the card and RMA it? You think VisionTek will be able to tell?

Did you rip a warranty sticker or something?
If the card dies, can't you just put the stock cooler back on the card and RMA it? You think VisionTek will be able to tell?

If you do a better thermal paste job then they did then yes :p

Does flashing the bios void the warranty, if you have a problem later? Also, what's the best tool for flashing bios, Radeon Bios Editor, ATIFlash, or ATIWinflash?

Could ChronoReverse or someone let me know if the MSI bios would work on an Asus card? In earlier post ChronoReverse said the MD5sum on the Asus card did not match the HIS or MSI cards.

Thanks!

I cannot confirm since I don't have an Asus card. However, the Asus BIOS works on all the other cards and it's a reference design so a good guess is yes.

I have done this with the Radeon Bios Editor 1.11, sweet idling at 160.
You can also overclock over the 700 boundary.
My 4850 is currently running at 750 at 1.24v, so the same as 4870.
:DDD

are you saying your 4850 does 750 mhz with stock voltages with just a bio flash?
thats insane. what brand is your card?

Make sure you really test it hard though.

My 4850 looks fine at 700MHz. It'll run Artifact Finder for hours without issue. It'll even run through Crysis at Very High without any problems for at least an hour...

...but if I set the same settings as HardOCP recommends for gameplay, it'll crash the driver (and because Vista is awesome, NOT crash the computer) after about 10 minutes of gameplay at any frequency over 660MHz.

I suspect the voltage for the core is not sufficient because my third party cooler is keeping the temps down.

Can anyone confirm if this works with Sapphire 4850 cards? I'm about to install mine tonight, and I just want to know what all my options are :)

Where are you finding these BIOS files?

I have the Asus card and it idles at 500/993.

It did idle at 500/750 until I enabled a second monitor (both at 1080p).

Running Asus SmartDoctor with the stock cooler, it idles at 50 degrees C with the fan spinning at 40%. The fan starts getting pretty noisy at 60% and can get painful at 100%.

can some one help me edit the values?

i put 160/500 for all the non 3d slots and 650/1050 for the first cd slot , i flashed with win flash and now my default and 2d clocks are 500/993 what did i do wrong.

so 650/1050 in the first left box

160/500 in the next 2 boxes

and the bottom middle box is 500/993 im guessing i have to change that one?

untitled-3-1.jpg

EDIT ive flash many times with different settings even with the original bios.

it defaults at 500/993...........i have no idea wtf ive done lol . well at least the card didnt die.

Back