HD 4870 Fan Speed Solution=lower temps & some benchmarks

NKD

[H]F Junkie
Edit: Hold on flashing for now, as there seems to some issues with it, however mine went fine, so I do not want anyone messing up their system. PLease do this at your own risk, it absolutly works but since this includes flashing the bios I can not take any responsiblity for any error on your part I do not recommend this for anything other than fan controll, as that is the only thing I changed in the bios, I have a powercolor HD 4870 if you follow the directions you will have a nice and cool running hd 4870.

OK here is how to lower your temps. I have done this with my Powercolor HD 4870 that I just got from mwave.com,

1. Download the latest version of Radeon Bios Editor(RBE), that supports hd 4000 series. New one was released just yesterday.
2. Download GpuZ.
3. Download Winflash Ati, all are from techpower up.

now, Moving on.

1. Run gpuz and click on the button right where it says bios version. and save the bios.
2. Run Radeon bios editor and go to file, open and open the bios that you just saved. Than go to fan control, and click on use look up table, and set up the fan speed and temps you want, I changed mine at to 31% starting and starting temp to 50c, and the fan stays at actually 31% all the time and the temp stays in the high 50's, it all might depend on your room temp though. so my fan speed stays at 31% because temp never goes beyond 50's, and it is pretty damn quite, and I don't know why ati didn't just leave the fan at that speed. Those fat heatpipes certainly hold their own if provided decent air flow.
4, now after you have edited your bios, save it.
5. open up winflash ati and load the bios you just saved, and program it. your screen will probably freeze for a miute and than you will get the message telling you to restart your comptuer, do so. and
now you have a card that runs nice and cool even while overclocked.

winflash ati seems to work fine, so don't panic, just exit control panel to be on the safe side.
but do it at your own risk, as it is up to you to do it, but I have done it three times now, the fan is not really noticeable over the rest of the system to 31% is a great balance.

It is better to do it this way, because you are actually using your original bios and the bios made by your card manufacturer, and not by some other card manufacturer, it will probably keep you on the safe side from voiding your warranty because your bios is still original bios but just edited for fan speed. Before the card was idling at 79c and load at 76c, now idle at 54-55c and load at 57c, those heatpipes really seem to work.

here is a screenshot.

biospn2.jpg

Lost Planet 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF, everything high, motion blur and HDR on medium, don't know why those review sites get 25 frames in lost planet is out of my league, but this card kicks ass in lost planet for me. and don't worry I get around the same performance under dx10 as well, but I don't feel like booting in to vista and taking a screenshot again.

lostplanetxh6.jpg

I assume you can fix 2D clock speed in RBE, yes?
If yes, can you try that and post back your idle temps then?

well 2d clocks I really didn't change I left them at 500, as it didn't really bother me. 53c idle was a big improvement over 79-89c idle.

I probably wouldn't try changing clocks yet. Wait for an official BIOS release (they have em for 4850s already) before flashing to a new one. There are supposedly issues with changing frqeuencies on the BIOS with 4870s right now (since the RBE only states support for 4850 right now)

yea the fan speed works, but I didn't wanna mess with the 2d clocks, and everything is stable in games, I really don't wanna mess with clocks for now, as the temps seem more than reasonable to me with above settings.

I probably wouldn't try changing clocks yet. Wait for an official BIOS release (they have em for 4850s already) before flashing to a new one. There are supposedly issues with changing frqeuencies on the BIOS with 4870s right now (since the RBE only states support for 4850 right now)

I agree, I will wait for the driver updates from ati, because I believe they can probably handle that with driver update, I might be wrong I believe it can be done for clocks.

Devil May Cry 4, 1920x1200, 4xAA, everything at very high. well this game seems to stress the card more, the temp was 63c after I exited the game, still about 25c lower than the stock settings.

devilmaycry4870ll6.jpg

Back