Another user experience; 4850 xfire vs. GTX 280

wadec22

2[H]4U
Note: I haven't proof read this, cut me a little slack. :)

Alright guys, I saw another member did a really outstanding review for us, comparing his 4870xf vs GTX 280 experience. It was very insightful. I would like to share a similar experience, but please do not hold me to the standards of the other review. I have several points to make and I will probably jump around a bit, sorry, I just hope it may help some of you out there.

For starters the test system is in my signature. I am not a fanboy of either camp. I like a good gaming experience, period. I have owned many graphics cards. Recent cards include:8800gts 512mb, 3870x2, 9800gx2, 4850’s in xfire and a GTX 280.
A little over a week ago, I sent my BFG 9800gx2 in for trade up on a GTX 280. A couple days later, I had the opportunity to jump on the Best Buy Hot Deal to nab two 4850’s for about 320.00 with tax. I had no video card and I’m a hardware nut, so naturally I jumped all over it.

I played with them in crossfire for about a little over a week. Here are a list of NON-GAMING related positives on the cards:

-The ATI Vista drivers rock. With the recent cards I have owned all listed above, all the nVidia cards (excluding the GTX, I’ll get there) have caused some random lock ups (usually after waking the pc) or a rare BSOD. Not major issues, happening once every couple of days, but annoying to say the least. With the ATI cards, not one lock up or anything. What a relief. My girlfriend actually booed last night when I mentioned throwing in the GTX because she hated the nvidia lock ups.

- Keep in mind I’m talking about the 4850’s here, but they are small! I was so damn excited how short they are! Every other recent card I have owned has been so damn long I am occassionly forced to move a hard drive. They are also only single slot, sweet! You can run crossfire with these puppies without having to worry about killing air flow.

-Dual monitor support while in crossfire, nuff said!

-Low power requirements, one 6pin connector per card!

-Keep your sweet a$$ intel chipset that overclocks like a champ!!!

A few non-gaming negatives: HOT!!! Yes I know the new nvidia gpus are warm as well, but holy sh*t! The stock coolers on these guys just aren’t pushing enough heat out the back of the case right now. I’ve read here on the forums that this may be a driver issue, causing the fans to not run at high enough speeds. Anyway, I have a very well ventilated case. Outside of using software temp sensors, I also have one hardware temp sensor that reads out onto an lcd on the front of the case. I place that guy right in the center of things to read ambient air temps inside the case. When I went from the gx2 to these two 4850’s, ambient idle went from 77F to 83F, under full load it went from approx. 91F to 110F!!! You either need a driver update or new coolers. Good news is for the $ it costs to get them, you can afford a third party cooler.

Now onto the games…. I can already hear the uproar, but I only play a few games right now. The main game I test with right now is Crysis, it is demanding as hell, I’m looking forward to Crysis Warhead and Far Cry 2. Sorry, I’m a huge FPS fan. I’m also playing the Witcher and Quake Wars. Again guys, I’m just looking to maybe help a few people who may be playing these games. It looks like performance can vary widely depending on the game you are into right now, especially with the early drivers from both camps.

The 4850’s.

-Crysis: Oh Crysis. Whether it’s your coding or uber use of DX10, you punish hardware. For a solid benchmark comparison I always use a custom demo I created. 1920x1200, all settings high, very high shaders. I have Crysis patched to 1.21. No matter what I tried, I could not get Crysis to scale properly in this game. I tried posting on multiple forums, to no avail. My old gx2 ran the demo at 32fps, these guys did it at 21-24fps. That is whether crossfire was enabled or disabled. I tried everything guys. I used Catalalyst 8.5 and 8.6, both with and without the hotfix for the 4800 series. It just wouldn’t work. At the settings mentioned above, I obviously had to really turn down options for a decent gaming experience. I don’t know what those perfect playing options would be, out of frustration I simply gave up after a week. I assume that 8.7 catalyst should remedy this and when it does, I sure hope it provides a very nice experience. I REALLY WANTED this to work.

-The Witcher: This one surprised me. With my old 3870x2, this game LOOKED MUCH nicer than on my gx2. Shadows were much more organic and lively. Fire and lighting looked incredible. When I ran this game on my gx2, fire and lighting had a very light but noticeable green tint and shadows were much less appealing. The 4850’s, after the hotfix, ran this game very beautifully. There is noticeable micro stutter on this game with dual gpus. The stutter, to me, was unbearable on my 3870x2. When I moved to the gx2, it was much less noticeable. The 4850’s were a very similar experience to the gx2 only with much nicer graphics, YES!

-Quake Wars: again, after the hotfix, I noticed no difference between this and my old gx2.

Well last night, after staring at the GTX 280 on my desk for a second day, I finally decided to pop it open and throw it in (thus dropping it’s value immediately, but what can I say? I’m an [H]’er).

-Crysis: I was actually surprised here. I knew from reading the Hardocp review, that this card should be able to handle higher settings than my gx2, but I thought it would lose in a demo benchmark, I was wrong. On the custom demo I mentioned earlier, the GTX topped 35fps EVERY time. It was also the first time I realized that I had microstutter on the gx2 in the demo. I didn’t even realize it until I saw how smooth this card plays the demo, very nice. After playing the game for a bit, it’s a much nicer experience than my old gx2 and obviously blew the crossfire setup out of the water since the drivers need work. Be warned, one driver update may turn the tables here. The only thing that I question is whether or not the microstutter will be there.

-The Witcher: What a relief! Upon loading it up, something is different in nvidia’s gpu or drivers now. The shadows and lighting look identical to the ATI cards! What happened? Not sure but I like it. The second surprise, the fps. After seeing an awful lot of benches with the Witcher favoring ATI cards, I expected this card to get trounced. It did not. While the fps peaks never hit what the crossfire setup did, the lows never came close to the ATI drops. The 4850’s were topping out in the 90’s, but hitting lows in the high teens to low twenties! The nvidia card never topped 60fps, but also never dropped below mid thirties, interesting. In the end the GTX is a smoother gaming experience.

-Quake Wars: this game is owned. I could not tell the difference between either setup period.

Important notes on the GTX: my ambient system temp, once again tops out around 90-92 on full load. As for noise, this thing gets loud when the fan is spinning. For me, it doesn’t matter, I have a Panaflo intake fan that is LOUD. The PC has to be shut off to watch a movie in the same room! So I don’t care, but many might. I tried swapping the intake fan to see how loud it was. Holy sh*t! It’s probably not any louder than my old gx2, but I honestly don’t know. I never tried the gx2 with a normal intake fan. The GTX is also HUGE, I couldn't imagine SLI with these guys. Just to much card blocking airlfow for me.

Obviously for me, I’m keeping the GTX. It’s been an incredibly difficult decision for me. I could have sold the GTX and put an extra 300.00 in my pocket, very tempting. If I were a paycheck to paycheck guy, a college student or saving for something, I would do just that. But like I posted in another thread, this is my hobby. I don’t fix up cars, fish, hunt or golf. So for me the 300.00 towards my hobby is no big deal. Not everyone’s circumstances are the same.

I was also tempted to sell and go for a couple 4870’s in xfire, but opted not to for a couple reasons. The GTX dominates what I play, and it would be work at this point to sell it off and acquire new gpus. Also, after playing with the 3870x2, 9800gx2 and two 4850’s, I’m sick of scaling issues, micro stuttering and driver fixes. That’s just me. Some people do not care about those things at all.

No question about it, two 4850’s in xfire offer the best damn value out there right now, period. Sweet cards with some great perks! For me, the GTX was just worth it. Mind you I was upgrading via trade up and never would have sunk a fresh 650.00 into it.
I was going to mention the Vista drivers on the GTX. I’m at around 14hrs, no freezes, but that’s no guarantee.

Hope this helps at least one person. Just typed it up while I had my coffee this morning. Please guys, if you have any questions, let me know.

NOTEWORTHY UPDATE: So get this... After enjoying some gaming today, starting having problems in Crysis. FRAPS would not show a decrease in FPS BUT games started jerking! Kind of weird, not ocing or anything.... Decided to reboot, same thing after about five min into the game. After some poking around with the fan settings and opening the side of the case. My damn card is getting too hot. Great airflow in my case too. Contacted BFG, yup, RMA. Damn! Throwing the 4850's in now for the time being. :( Who knows what the hell I'll do now.

Reading this makes me glad I didn't go with crossfire. Frankly when you are paying that much money for video cards they better damn well work perfectly. I know a lot of people wouldn't be bothered by those things but those sorts of issues would irritate the hell out of me. Will see if the 4870X2 alleviates all these issues.

Well, Im still waiting on thr X2's but if I wasn't and the GTX280's were around 575 Or less, I would have bought one, but they are too expensive for thier performance atm..

Thanks for the post.

SLI and Crossfire are out for me. I have seen microstuttering myself with the GX2.

I have a 280 arriving Monday. I am looking foward to having just one bad boy card. ;)

I imagine you have seen the 280 beat a GX2 bad.... :eek:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3GHyE9xJZJE

Nice little write up :) I presume you're going to get a 4870 X2 when they're out?

Thanks. Honestly, if ATI comes up with the rumored hardware fix for micro stutter, yes. If not, I think my dual gpu days are over. When they work with the game(s) you like, they are outstanding. When you wait for drivers are stuff, real downer.

Thanks for the post.

SLI and Crossfire are out for me. I have seen microstuttering myself with the GX2.

I have a 280 arriving Monday. I am looking foward to having just one bad boy card. ;)

I built my new machine on Thursday, upgrade from a 6800GT....holy cow its like fucking day and night!? I can play games at 1900x1200 max details and the frames are as smooth as butter! Never experienced anything like it before.

Nice write up. Dont be surprised if the ATI fanboys (trolls) jump down your throat over this though. As for myself, I think a GTX280 is on the cards as there is no way I am willing to deal with micro-stutter.

Thanks for the write-up; it takes a lot of work. I generally buy what's best for the price anyways, so the GTX 280 is out of it for me. :(

Why would ATI "fanboys" jump down his throat over this? Micro-stutter is caused by both CF and SLI and not just ATI cards.

"Shadows were much more organic and lively"

Can't say I've ever been that descriptive about the shadows in a game. Most of the time I don't even pay attention to them. Reminds me of the time I saw someone at Headfi describing their headphone amp as sounding " chocolaty smooth". :)

If you don't want to drop the cash on a GTX 280, buy a GTX 260 from a company that supports user overclocking, like XFX or Evga and do that.

The above 260 is only @ 640 on the core, [H]ard got theirs to 675, and Firingsquad got one to 712.

There's been a few flamewars/bait threads with regards to Nvidia vs ATI, and the price of a GTX280 vs a crossfire 4850/4870 solution.

Just agreeing with the OP that micro-stutter is out of the question, and I would be opting for the fastest single card configuration. That is all :)

Why would ATI "fanboys" jump down his throat over this? Micro-stutter is caused by both CF and SLI and not just ATI cards.

"Shadows were much more organic and lively"

Can't say I've ever been that descriptive about the shadows in a game. Most of the time I don't even pay attention to them. Reminds me of the time I saw someone at Headfi describing their headphone amp as sounding " chocolaty smooth". :)

OK, that's fine but my days of spending $600.00+ on a video card are over and is why I ordered the 4870. 90% of the performance of a 280 for less than 50% of the cost.

I think you've done a nice writeup here. I just bought a 4850 for $150 a couple of days ago so I'm happy... GTX 280 still looks like a really nice card though.

I'm a (slight) ATI fan...

After going over all the reviews out there that include overclocking, my advice is get a GTX 260 or HD 4870 and OC it. If you absolutely can't afford one of those grab a HD 4850.

My GTX 280 is going back for a refund and I'm get a 260 from XFX to OC.

and is why I ordered the 4870. 90% of the performance of a 280 for less than 50% of the cost.

You mean two 4870's correct?

One 4870 won't get you 90% the performance of a 280 I don't think... ;)

Wait until more games support PhysX like UT3.

They are seeing a decent jump in performance.

As a bit more time gose by, I believe the 280 will shine even more.

They do get you 90% of the performance in some games, and when AA is turned up they get 90% consistently and sometimes edge it

Drivers work either way, and I remember someone from [H] saying that since almost every component of the RV770 card was changed, it might have a lot of kinks to work out

Thanks for the reviews, it really does show the woes of going CF or SLI with all the issues. It might be a few years before they're finally worked out, but until then its a roll of the dice

That review is bogus.

It has the GX2 beating the 280 also.

The video link posted above shows that this is NOT the case.

Then check guru3d if you want.

They both use in-game gameplay and notice the AA settings.. its when AA is higher that the 4870 really shines.

More than a few reviews echo those sentiments

It might win a few here and there, but at 1920x1200 with 4xAA(my res), I going with the 280. :)

It is odd the review has for COD4 at 2560x1600 showing:

GX2 = 57.6 FPS, and the 280 = 51.2 FPS,

And the video in actual game play shows:

GX2 = 40 to 80 FPS, and the 280 = 50 to 169 FPS, and is running faster the entire way...

If it gives an inaccurate conclusion on the better card.

They must of had a funky 280?

They do have the 4870 at 44.4 FPS, and in Crossfire at 82 FPS. That might be correct, but the 280 is faster than that in the video for sure.

I see that you are using a Creative card. Have you tried running without that? That used to be a source of great frustration for me until I sold my X-Fi. Clear sailing with sleep mode and the only BSODs I see are when playing some funking videos. nVidia still has some work to do.

Doh, another GTX280 with heat issues. Did you catch the temperature on the card when the issues begain?

And 1920 x 1200 with 4xAA the GTX280 will edge out the 4870 but personally I wouldn't spend $300 more for minimal advantages. Especially if the game supports 8xAA and the 4870 starts beating the GTX280 at 1920x1200...

I havent picked any card yet (and the R700 is still out there to be determined) so I'm probably going to wait. 2560x1600 is slightly more demanding than 1920x1200 but since I'm out of the country for the next 2 1/2 weeks, I'm in no rush and hopefully prices will drop then...

Not encouraging to hear that CrossFire still isn't mature on the 4850. However, I already have one 4850 on the way for $150, and will likely be able to get another for < $170. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather pay $320 and live with the issues than pay $650, especially seeing I don't have the extra $330.

If I had the extra money and wouldn't miss it, sure I'd get a GTX 280. It's just that I can't ignore 9800 GTX performance in a single-slot, single-power-connector, $150 package.

It looks as though it's not impossible to get CF to scale on these cards, though. This guy had it working in Crysis before the 4850 was officially released!

I think I had the same problem with an XFX GTX 280. A sort of weird jerkiness that doesn't show up in FPS counters. It was a bad card for sure. Back at SLI and wow the performance is amazing. No microstutter that I notice.

You mean two 4870's correct?

One 4870 won't get you 90% the performance of a 280 I don't think... ;)

Wait until more games support PhysX like UT3.

They are seeing a decent jump in performance.

As a bit more time gose by, I believe the 280 will shine even more.

What, are you drunk (Definately biased)? Most reviews clearly show the 4870 performing at 90% of gtx 280. CF is much better than gtx 280.

What, are you drunk (Definately biased)? Most reviews clearly show the 4870 performing at 90% of gtx 280. CF is much better than gtx 280.

Well, let's see.

The [H] has a 280's max settings in Crysis at 1920x1200 No AA 16x AF:
Texture Quality:High
Objects Quality: Medium
Shadows Quality: High
Physics Quality High
Shaders Quality: High
Volumetric Effects Quality: High
Game Effects Quality: High
Postprocessing Quality: High
Particles Quality: High
Water Quality: High

Min=17 Max=46 AVG=31.1

For the 4870 they have max settings in Crysis at 1920x1200 No AA 16x AF:
Shadows Quality: Medium
Physics Quality High
Volumetric Effects Quality: Medium
Game Effects Quality: Medium
Postprocessing Quality: Medium
Particles Quality: Medium

Min=11 Max=41 AVG=27.2

That does not look like 90% of a 280's performance to me...

In Assassins Creed, the [H] has for the 280 2560x1600 4x AA, AF Enabled:
Shadows: 3/3
Multisampling 3/3
Post FX: On
Graphic Quality: 4/4
Level of Detail: 4/4

Min=25 Max=53 Avg=37

For the 4870 in Assassins Creed, the [H] has for the 280 2560x1600 (Only 2xAA), AF Enabled:
Multisampling 2/3

Min=23 Max=52 Avg=38.2

This one is probably close to 90%, but I am not sure how much extra work it puts on the GPU going from 2x AA, to 4x AA, and using the lower Multisampling setting. The jury is still out! :D

Age of Conan, the 280 rules going up to 2560 x 1600 No AA, 16x AF. the 4870 can't hang there.

At 1920 x 1200 the 280 can use higher in game settings, and run 8x CSAA and 16x AF. The 4870 could not.

Dosen't look like 90% performance of the 280 again...

In COD4 as I posted above, a 280 is faster than a GX2 in the video by far:

We also know a GX2 beats a 4870 pritty bad in COD4 from the reviews.

I would say the 4870 is much more behind than 90% of the 280's performance in this game also...

I would love for the [H] to run some 4870's in Crossfire, against a single 280.

That would be a fun report to read.

Well, let's see.

The [H] has a 280's max settings in Crysis at 1920x1200 No AA 16x AF:
Shadows Quality: High
Physics Quality High
Volumetric Effects Quality: High
Game Effects Quality: High
Postprocessing Quality: High
Particles Quality: High

Min=17 Max=46 AVG=31.1

For the 4870 they have max settings in Crysis at 1920x1200 No AA 16x AF:
Shadows Quality: Medium
Physics Quality High
Volumetric Effects Quality: Medium
Game Effects Quality: Medium
Postprocessing Quality: Medium
Particles Quality: Medium

Min=11 Max=41 AVG=27.2

That does not look like 90% of a 280's performance to me...

In Assassins Creed, the [H] has for the 280 2560x1600 4x AA, AF Enabled:
Multisampling 3/3

Min=25 Max=53 Avg=37

For the 4870 in Assassins Creed, the [H] has for the 280 2560x1600 (Only 2xAA), AF Enabled:
Multisampling 2/3

Min=23 Max=52 Avg=38.2

This one is probably close to 90%, but I am not sure how much extra work it puts on the GPU going from 2x AA, to 4x AA, and using the lower Multisampling setting. The jury is still out! :D

Age of Conan, the 280 rules going up to 2560 x 1600 No AA, 16x AF. the 4870 can't hang there.

At 1920 x 1200 the 280 can use higher in game settings, and run 8x CSAA and 16x AF. The 4870 could not.

Dosen't look like 90% performance of the 280 again...

In COD4 as I posted above, a 280 is faster than a GX2 in the video by far:

We also know a GX2 beats a 4870 pritty bad in COD4 from the reviews.

I would say the 4870 is much more behind than 90% of the 280's performance in this game also...

I would love for the [H] to run some 4870's in Crossfire, against a single 280.

That would be a fun report to read.

Well of course you would only quote the [H] review like it was the be all - end all of reviews :rolleyes:.
Looking at other reports tells another story...
You realize that it is only 3 games tested in [H] review? Besides, should you they have enabled AA instead of AF in crysis the radeon would have pulled ahead or come close to the 280, and I think fixing those jaggies with some extra samples is more important than fixing those slightly blurred textures in the distance...
In this review you see the 4870 outperforming the GTX 280 for instance.
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=16 shows gtx 280 and 4870 pretty much on par in AC.

All I know is I have seen so many charts going both ways, I keep looking for the real world type tests.

The video looks real to me...

I think the 280 will beat the GX2 99% of the time.

I also think a GX2 beats a 4870 99% of the time.

Some of thoes nifty review sites, have the 4870 listed substantially lower than a GX2, but real close or equal to a 280's performance. It just looks odd. I keep thinking they have the 280's numbers too low.

Look at their COD4:
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14

Pick the winner from their chart between the GX2 ant the 280.
280=90.0, GX2=107.9

Now how do we reconcile that, with the video of the 280 putting a convincing spankie-doodle on the GX2 in that very game? I can't...

It makes me think if their COD4 numbers are out of wack, what am I to think about all the others. A 280 beats a GX2 in COD4 period.

When we see something like the [H] review using max playable settings, the 280 shines, just like in the video against the GX2 running real games.

I think the 4870 is closer to the 260's performance myself, not the 280.

It might win a few here and there, but at 1920x1200 with 4xAA(my res), I going with the 280. :)

It is odd the review has for COD4 at 2560x1600 showing:

GX2 = 57.6 FPS, and the 280 = 51.2 FPS,

And the video in actual game play shows:

GX2 = 40 to 80 FPS, and the 280 = 50 to 169 FPS, and is running faster the entire way...

If it gives an inaccurate conclusion on the better card.

They must of had a funky 280?

They do have the 4870 at 44.4 FPS, and in Crossfire at 82 FPS. That might be correct, but the 280 is faster than that in the video for sure.

How do you know? Do you personally own a gtx 280 and 4870cf rigs?

Higher fps for the 4870 vs 280 in cod4 testings could easily be explained by the cpus the review sites were using in the test rigs. Just wait and let me compile and arrange all the cpus and the fps for cod4.

First off we have anandtech.
- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 3.20GHz
- 4 x 1GB Corsair DDR3-1333 7-7-7-20

fps 4870
- 82.4 1920 x 1200 4xaa
gtx 280

Techreport
- Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz
- 2 x Corsair TWIN2X20488500C5D
DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

fps 4870
- 69.1 1920 x 1200 4xaa 16aa. Notice the 10 fps drop b/c of slower cpu and slower ram.
fps 280
- 68.8 same settings. Hmmm so both cards are bottlenecked here. Alright whatever I'll just keep listing sites.

guru3d
- Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme (Conroe)
- 2048 MB (2x1024MB) DDR2 CAS4 @ 1142 MHz Dominator Corsair
fps 4870
- 60(!!!) fps for 1920 x 1200 4xaa 16aa all settings maxed out. Note older slower dual core x6800 is only 2.9 ghz and only sports 4mbs total cache results in further 10 fps drop. So comparing to the anandtech 3.2 quad guru3d review gets 20 fps less because of cpu bottleneck. So I hope everyone sees a pattern here. BTW they didnt have a 280 in comparison but I just threw in fps for the 4870 because it was relevant.

hardware canucks.
testing rig. Now these guys really push it cpu wise.
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz
- Memory: G.Skill 2x 2GB DDR2-1000 @ 1052Mhz DDR
Site didn't have 1920 x 1200 data but I'll just link it so all of you can see how the 4870 is on average 10 fps behind the 280 in most res.

In the end with if we take out the cpu bottleneck out of the equation and hopefully take out the ram limitation too, 4870 is a little bit behind the 280 in cod4 performance but not by a wide margin. Both in anandtech review and the hardware canucks review where the latest 45 nm quads were clocked 3.2 and above the delta inbetween the 4870 and the 280 at most was 10 fps so in the end in cod4 280 is a bit faster but not enough to guarantee its x2 pricetag over the hd4870. Hope that helps clarify whatever issues you guys had with various review fps numbers.

Well, it would have to be a big difference looking at how bad the GX2 lost against a 280 in the video, and how much lower the 4870 is on the listing in the review, than the GX2 in performance!

GX2=107.9 FPS, 4870=82.4 FPS.

Wow... Thanks for all the data!

I will look it over.

So where does that put me at 3.8GHz running a Q6600? :p

I was going to swap my GTX 280 for a 260 and I just ran through AoC. I am keeping my overclocked 280. AoC @ 1920x 16xAA|16xAF all on and all distance/detail sliders to the right, 30-72FPS most often.

It was flipping stunning on this 1920x H-IPS LCD.

Look at their COD4:
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14

Pick the winner from their chart between the GX2 ant the 280.
280=90.0, GX2=107.9

Now how do we reconcile that, with the video of the 280 putting a convincing spankie-doodle on the GX2 in that very game? I can't...

It makes me think if their COD4 numbers are out of wack, what am I to think about all the others. A 280 beats a GX2 in COD4 period.

When I saw this chart I had no idea what to think. I've played hours of CoD4 @ 1920x1200all maxed out on a 9800 GX2 oc'ed to 670 on the core and a GTX 280 oc'ed to 660. At 4xAA, the 9800 GX2 chocked. I would play for a while and then all kinds of stuttering and sound sync issues would begin to pop up. It plain out just didn't consistently, there's no way that you can play CoD4 long at 1920x1200 4xAA maxed out. How can it be faster than a GX2 when the game blows up in your face?

A single GTX 280 is like a whole other world. Absolutely smooth and the colors even look better. The game goes from broken to wonderful.

I see all of the hype and fanfare around the 4800. Its obvious a lot better deal. But I am becoming very leery of places like Anandtech. Maxishine.com.au made the same comment about AA with the 9800GX2 that I saw from day one when I got it in my sig rig: http://maxishine.com.au/documents/gtx280.html

At any rate, it's becoming harder and harder to reconcile reviews these days. The 4800 and the GTX 280/260 reviews are all over the place as others have noted. But no matter what any review says, it can't change what my eyes see.

I simply love my 280's. SLI seems to be working ALL the time without any problems and delivering good to great scaling. Haven't had any microstuttering issues, crashes or crap. Yes, I did have to RMA only my second video which isn't cool but its not a deal breaker either.

I really hate nVidia for screwing up the pricing on the GTX 280/260. It's really making a great product look like crap and its a shame that such a great piece of hardware is being discounted because of the price. Please nVidia, fix this pricing issue NOW! Take the loss, set the price on the 280 at $400 and the 260 and $200 and be done with it. Get the cost down and the performance up a bit and get a GTX GX2 ready to go against the 4870x2 at a good price.

Wow, a personal review of 4850 Crossfire on an 8x/8x PCI-E board. Brilliant. I have learned nothing from any posts in this thread.

Back