Affinity issues with GPU2

Parja

[H]F Junkie
Per my post on the Folding Forum...

I'm having a problem with affinity running 6.12 beta 8 with my 8800GT and the on 6.10 beta 3 systray client on an E6750 at 3.5GHz in Windows XP 32-bit.

I have the GPU2 set to "slightly higher" priority and the systray client set to lowest possible. Regardless of my other settings ("Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU" turned on or off), GPU2 always locks itself to Core 1. Even with the affinity set higher on GPU2, the systray client shows 50% CPU usage in task manager and GPU2 fluctuates between about 20% and 30% with System Idle Process taking up the remainder. This drop in CPU utilization is causing a pretty significant hit to my PPD on the GPU2 client. If I manually set the systray client's affinity to Core 0, everything goes back to normal (GPU2 and systray each take 50% CPU utilization), but once the systray client finishes a WU, it reverts to no specific affinity.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Since downloading the 1.06 core and the beta 8 client, I can't get the GPU2 client to not lock itself to core 1. I tried going back to beta 6 and have fiddled with all of the available options, but it keeps locking itself to core 1.

Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if I could find a way to get the console client to lock to core 0, but I can't seem to find a reliable way to do that.

I had the same issue. I used imagecfg.exe. It was distrubuted with NT4 and maybe Win2000.. the only place I can find it now is from here. Click on the link there and follow the directions. The process must not be running when you set the affinity. So far it has worked for me.

I'm running the 6.12 beta 8 client myself and was able to get the GPU client to lock on a specific core on a Quad. In the Beta 8 client there's a new setting on the "advanced" tab in configuration called " Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU". Try checking that box (that's what I did) and use SMP Seesaw Pro to set te GPU client to whatever core you desire.

I've found my system ([email protected]) runs better with 2 VM SMP clients and the GPU client by just letting everything roam to whatever cores they wish. Overall PPd are better and the system seems "smoother".

Good luck!

0.png

Thanks for the tips. Both of those programs work pretty slick. I figured that since GPU2 was forcing itself to Core 1, I'd just use that imagecfg to force the console client to Core 0. Wrote up a little batch file to run imagecfg then start the client...problem solved!

I just noticed (DUHHH :rolleyes:) you're running the new 1.06 core. Just to clarify I'm NOT running 1.06 but still @ 1.05 as I read about some users complaining of a drastic PPD drop on the new core (over @ folding forum).

I'm curious if you've noticed this on 1.06 as well?

0.png

I just noticed (DUHHH :rolleyes:) you're running the new 1.06 core. Just to clarify I'm NOT running 1.06 but still @ 1.05 as I read about some users complaining of a drastic PPD drop on the new core (over @ folding forum).

I'm curious if you've noticed this on 1.06 as well?

The PPD drop was what tipped me off that something was wrong. After finding out that it was forcing affinity to Core 1 and thus was not able to get sufficient CPU resources with the console client not having specific affinity, I forced the console client to Core 0, GPU2 got its full core back, and PPD went back to normal. I'm curious if that's the problem others are seeing.

Otherwise, I'm digging the 1.06 Folding core. I was having pretty significant video performance issues with GPU2 before, but with newer drivers and the 1.06 core, things are running pretty smooth.

Yes, 1.06 improve stability and usability at the cost of a slight ppd drop but the remaining issue is why setting to core 3 cause issues with media player and they will work to find why.

:cool: I wasn't even aware there was a new core already.. Just started a new thread about it like a dork.... :rolleyes:

0.png

The PPD drop was what tipped me off that something was wrong. After finding out that it was forcing affinity to Core 1 and thus was not able to get sufficient CPU resources with the console client not having specific affinity, I forced the console client to Core 0, GPU2 got its full core back, and PPD went back to normal. I'm curious if that's the problem others are seeing.

Otherwise, I'm digging the 1.06 Folding core. I was having pretty significant video performance issues with GPU2 before, but with newer drivers and the 1.06 core, things are running pretty smooth.

After getting the 1.06 core this last WU I had the same issues with the PPD drop. The only difference for me was that the GPU core locked itself to CPU core 3. It caused the GPU client to drop from an average 2200PPD to under 1750PPD.

After setting the GPU core to use all 4 cores, it's back almost to normal. I haven't noticed much smoother use in apps yet, but I've only had it running a short...

0.png

After getting the 1.06 core this last WU I had the same issues with the PPD drop. The only difference for me was that the GPU core locked itself to CPU core 3. It caused the GPU client to drop from an average 2200PPD to under 1750PPD.
Where can I find the older core or previous client release?

After setting the GPU core to use all 4 cores, it's back almost to normal.
Did you accomplish this by leaving the box which locks to a specific CPU core unchecked?

With 1.06, I lost 600 ppd from 4200 ppd to 3600 ppd on my main box with 8800GTS 640MB. By checking the checkbox to not lock the core affinity to a core, I gained back 550 ppd to be in the same ballpark as before. 2D operations isn't affected at all for me.

With 1.06, I lost 600 ppd from 4200 ppd to 3600 ppd on my main box with 8800GTS 640MB. By checking the checkbox to not lock the core affinity to a core, I gained back 550 ppd to be in the same ballpark as before. 2D operations isn't affected at all for me.

Where are you seeing this new option... its not at all showing in my config... do I need to D/L a new beta client?

Where can I find the older core or previous client release?

The Beta8 client is the only one available at the download page now... The core (either 1.05 or 1.06) is downloaded after the install, when you go to get your first WU. You have no choice on what "core" you get.. (unless you had the 1.05 core already and backed it up... ;))

Did you accomplish this by leaving the box which locks to a specific CPU core unchecked?

The check box is to "NOT" lock to a specific CPU core, and appears to be broken with the 1.06 core (at least on WinXP32 in my case) but will hopefully be fixed soon. I saw this was reported @ the folding forum so I would hope they'll be working on it.

Good luck!

0.png

Back