Anyone else not a fan of the Diablo games?

ghostchamber

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess maybe I never "got it," but I just never cared for the Diablo games. Maybe I didn't give them a fair shot, but all I saw was "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK." I sincerely thought there would be something more to the gameplay, but that basically to be it. So I watched a little of the gameplay footage for D3, and it looked exactly the same.

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Anyone else just not a fan of the franchise in general?

(And those that love it, don't be insulted ... I'm glad you can enjoy it ... I just .... can't)

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way. A friend of mine shares the same sentiments.

But I really don't see the point of this thread, as itll gather other Diablo dislikers, attract Diablo fans in defense and probably erupt into a flame war. :D

I guess maybe I never "got it," but I just never cared for the Diablo games. Maybe I didn't give them a fair shot, but all I saw was "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK." I sincerely thought there would be something more to the gameplay, but that basically to be it. So I watched a little of the gameplay footage for D3, and it looked exactly the same.

(And those that love it, don't be insulted ... I'm glad you can enjoy it ... I just .... can't)

Well you CAN click and hold :p

But the same statement could be made for any game in existence. Some people don't get games like Bioshock, Starcraft, Madden, Final Fantasy, Gran Tourismo, etc...

There is certainly more to D2 than clicking. If you like the game there's all sorts of replay value trying out different classes and skill sets. Getting that one awesome unique item is always a treat :) Plus I think it's a blast to play with a couple friends.

Didn't you hear? there are hot keys now!

flamebait thread indeed.

Hmm I guess I understand the way you feel, that it seems to be all "clickclickclick", but it seems like someone who only watched his friend play it over his shoulder would say something like that, and in a sense the "clickclickclik" is also the fun of it.. and.. well there's so much more to it than that. Let me explain why I love the game (D2).

- The Diablo Gameplay. When you pick a character you can build him (skills & attributes) just like you want to for rest of the game on normal difficulty. But in reality that's only a third of the game. If you want to succeed in Nightmare and in Hell mode, especially in Hell, you have to be well experienced to figure out wich skills works good and what each is good for. You also have to figure out how to spend your attribute points the best way for the character you're building. The many skills allows for alot of different combinations for each class, but you have to plan ahead, cause skillpoints and attribute point selections are not undoable, wich is a nice feat that ensures great sense of accomplishment when you've finally taken the right steps to be able to beat the game on Hell. Surely it seems like all you do is click your mouse, but wouldnt really need to do more because you only have a select few skills wich you chose with your skillpoints, and basically you press fx. F1, F2, F3 with the left hand to assign any skill to your mouse buttons, a simple and intuitive formula that works well in my opinion. When you are are hard enough you can choose to make a "hardcore" character wich renders unable to play the first time you die. This is the ultimate mode for immersion for experienced players and it can make the game REALLY intense.

- Design. I'd probably feel ALOT less about the game if it wasnt designed so well. The artwork (soundeffects, music, cinematic and graphics) is amazing in diablo, and they fit together in a way creating an epic mood and atmosphere that fits the game in such a way I have not seen many other games being close to accomplish. Starcraft was great in that sense as well (same dev ;)). I believe art is a much too neglected aspect for far too many developers. Titan Quest is the newest and most complete diablo clone available today and while gameplay-wise it's superior, it's missing that epic adventurous mood that Diablo has, and it makes the game alot less immersive and interesting, for me anyways.

- Itemization. Honestly, not even World of Warcraft does itemization better than D2 does. The way you can keep finding extremely good rare items that you haven't seen before after years of playing is just an epic aspect of the game. Since prefixes and suffixes on magical and rare items are randomly put together when such an item drops, the game probably allows for something like 100.000 different items.. alot anyways and it seems infinite. There are also Unique items wich are typically those you equip when you find them even tho extremely rare rare items are better. Lots of sets are available too but they are hard to complete in a singleplayer game. You can put gems into socketed items to create powerful items early in the game, and you can find rare runes to make runewords in socketed items to make the game's most powerful items in the endgame.

- Battle.net. Probably the reason why D2 is STILL going so strong. In D2 if you want to play multiplayer, and you probably want to cause it's free of charge, you make an battle.net account and enter a Chat-lobby where you can see yours and the other players' characters in the bottom. To the right you can choose to create or join an online game with a max player limit of 8 sadly. From here you can choose to make a PVP game or a game to bea the game acompanied bu other players, you can also trade. About once a year blizzard resets the "ladder" system wich is a list of highest lvl characters on battle.net. Creating a competitive aspect to the game.

I may seem to glorify the game a bit too much for some, and in the end tastes are subjective. It's also essential at what age you discover the game and what other games there are out there to steal your attention. I guess Diablo 2 was launched at a perfect time for me and it made it possible to gather a HUGE deserved fanbase. I would encourage ANY gamer to sit down and give Diablo2 a real chance some evening wich a pizza and a coke, maybe you would "get it" and have that incredibly awesome gaming experience so many of us had when the game came out. I think it's amazing that a 25$ one-time-fee game can give you such awesome entertainment compared to platora of uninspired POS games being released nowadays as the gaming industry has become a playground for too many people who just wants to make money and lacks the passion for gaming that Blizzard Entertainment has :)

I'm not really a fan of the diablo franchise and ive never finished Diablo 1/2 but the new gameplay video got me hooked! Too bad it will probably come out late 2010 or something..

hey isn't that what you do in every game? click click click click.. first person shooter. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

it's every game.

I never got into the Diablo games. Wont stop me from trying out the new one though.

i played diablo2 back when it came out but i have since lost interest, i'm not into games like diablo, WOW and that type where you do the same thing over and over.

You can say this for just about every genre of gaming..."all you do is **************".

yeah Diablo2 was a lot of clicking, but it was still one of the best games of its time. However, a big part of why it got so boring was the clicking part.

Diablo helped while away some lazy hours with first class fun.
It was a great way to wind down after work :)

I never played diablo. The gameplay video looks sorta fun but I think it would get boring quickly unless your playing with friends. Theres no PVP, just co-op story right?

I never played diablo. The gameplay video looks sorta fun but I think it would get boring quickly unless your playing with friends. Theres no PVP, just co-op story right?

There is PVP. You make parties like WoW with a maximum of 7 other players. When you go out of town into battle area you can push a button to go hostile on another player wich is lvl 9 or more from another party than your own or without a party.

If you play on hardcore mode you can still PVP in the exact same way but the loser will still lose his character completely. Brutal but awesome :) unfortunately cheats makes it so dangerous to go into a highlvl hardcore multiplayer game that its just not worth it. Most people inc myself learn the hard way.

There's PVP, in Diablo 1 I think you could be killed without warning by another player. In D2 you had to enable your PVP mode in town, and after that you could kill any character and they could kill you. If you killed someone you got an ear in your inventory with their name and level.

I might play it. But I'm no where near as excited as I was for MGS4 or how excited I am for Fable 2.

What the hell games are you playing? I click 20 times more in TF2 than I did in any of the Diablo games.

There's PVP, in Diablo 1 I think you could be killed without warning by another player. In D2 you had to enable your PVP mode in town, and after that you could kill any character and they could kill you. If you killed someone you got an ear in your inventory with their name and level.

Yes, you are correct...in D1 you could be killed anywhere except town. I learned that the hard way. My FIRST game on Bnet, me and another guy had been playing through the game for like 30 minutes or so, having fun (so far). I had to go to town for something, so I threw up a TP and told him I'd be right back. I finish my business in town and head back to meet up with him. As I pop out of my TP, all I see is him walk over to me and proceed to chop my ass down like a tree...dropping ALL of my gear on the ground when I died. He stole every single bit of my stuff, and I was left butt naked with no weapons, no armor.

That was my last Bnet game on D1....fuck that. :D

There is PVP. You make parties like WoW with a maximum of 7 other players. When you go out of town into battle area you can push a button to go hostile on another player wich is lvl 9 or more from another party than your own or without a party.

If you play on hardcore mode you can still PVP in the exact same way but the loser will still lose his character completely. Brutal but awesome :) unfortunately cheats makes it so dangerous to go into a highlvl hardcore multiplayer game that its just not worth it. Most people inc myself learn the hard way.

Thanks for the info, so is there gonna be a monthly fee? Will there be servers like WoW has or what?

I never understood what was so "ground breaking" about Diablo, I played D2 for about a half hour and found myself hating it. People say you click in all PC games...but in the Diablo series, its all you do. Keyboard? What keyboard? I'm guessing you could almost finish the game without one.

It just never appealed to me.

I never understood what was so "ground breaking" about Diablo, I played D2 for about a half hour and found myself hating it. People say you click in all PC games...but in the Diablo series, its all you do. Keyboard? What keyboard? I'm guessing you could almost finish the game without one.

It just never appealed to me.

Funny that, WarCraft and StarCraft can also be played completely without a keyboard, I guess they never appealed to you either.

u can play warcraft and starcraft like a total noob without a keyboard...in Diablo2 there was no need for one at all.

yes, because you can use potions fast enough without a keyboard as well as select skills that fast.

/sarcasm

I don't mind you guys not liking it but passing it off as boring or something because you don't use a keyboard is stupid.

u can play warcraft and starcraft like a total noob without a keyboard...in Diablo2 there was no need for one at all.

Dude...seriously, just no... you really need a keyboard for diablo. potions, selecting other skills... I can't even begin to imagine how much it would suck to change skills with the mouse in fight:D

OK pothb beat me to it but still

I'm not sure anyone mentioned it but the game got increasingly more difficult as each new player joined said server. So with 2 people there the damage dealt and such went up exponentially.

Diablo isn't fun. But people get hooked on it the same way they get hooked on slot machines. Maybe awesome gear x will drop the next time I kill this big boss? No? Darn, better kill the boss again, ad infinitum.

I never really played the originals, but I will be trying this one for the heck of it.

The majority of people that I see that never got into Diablo were playing single player only. I still had fun in both, but multiplayer/co-op was where it was at. I never got into WoW for the monthly fees but I heard of people "grinding in WoW" for XP but in Diablo 2 the grinding was for the loot. Seamed the items would never end and you were never satisfied with what you had. To add to that the levels and loot that was dropped was random. So quiting now may mean that you missed your rare oppurtunity to get a certain item.

I also own Guildwars, Dungeon Siege,and countless other copy cats but none had the same flare as Diablo. As someone else pointed out, or at least was concerned, Diablo did a great job of keeping you on task but allowed the you to roam. I know the 2 contradict each other but in Diablo I noticed less confusion of having multiple missions as to Guilwars and Dugeon Siege I can skip missions entirely, have about 12 missions in my queue, and because of that I never felt I completed anything.

At the same time I wouldn't recommend playing online with people that you don't know. Usually in the first 5 minutes you will find out if they loot whores in which they empty out their inventory, ie of health potions and etc that would help you play the game, and steal every item that is dropped. This is followed by a few people doing all the work and a few always hanging behind inspecting what they picked up, visiting town to sell or place items in the stash, or returning to town as they don't have enough potions in inventory (once again to have spare room for excess loot that may be dropped) to keep them fighting for an average amount of time. This turned the game pretty sour if your playing in that environment.

I probably played the game 4+ times through all the difficulties and I'm also tempted to reinstall because of all the hype recently.

Obviously it's down to personal preference. I have been playing PC games since Doom was released, consider myself a good FPS player, but never liked CS for example.

What I find is funny is how on the console they list certain games as system sellers. For a few of my friends that swore of PC gaming I can see a few of them returning for Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3:)

I've never played any of Diablo games, but after seeing people being so excited about it, i went over to Gametrailers to check out some of the HD trailers they have... I still don't get it, it's not my cup of tea i guess.

I spent a few weeks playing a barbarian in D2. I never got really great items and totally ruined my talent points. I ended up dying over and over again in the jungle area to those asswipes with blowguns because I didn't take any skills to help me cover ground faster.

I just didn't get it and didn't want to go back and start over to have a character not suck. I also didn't get the concept of rekilling bosses over and over yet. Now that I spent 2-3 years playing WoW pretty hardcore I get it more but I still find it slightly unappealing. I'll buy it because I support PC gaming and Blizzard.

The majority of people that I see that never got into Diablo were playing single player only. I still had fun in both, but multiplayer/co-op was where it was at. I never got into WoW for the monthly fees but I heard of people "grinding in WoW" for XP but in Diablo 2 the grinding was for the loot.

You've never raided then.

Zomg maybe Zhar'doom will drop this time.

No, another friggin momento.

The cinematic trailer was amazing. I wish they'd just make movies like that, I'd pay to see them, twice.

The game demo also looked amazing, until about 6 minutes in when I realized... that's ALL there is. Bang. Crash. Splat. Splat. Crash. Over and freaking over again. It's sad really, because their game engine is so gorgeous even in it's current state, that it would make a fantastic RPG, or at least a game with a storyline greater than 2 inches deep.

I'm not 12 anymore and it isn't exciting to collect pieces of matched armor like Pokemon cards. Unfortunately, there is probably a whole new legion of 12-year-olds that DO collect armor and Pokemon cards that will make up a large portion of this game's client base.

All they had to do to make me a True Believer again (I enjoyed D1 and D2, but Titan Quest showed me how limited this genre is) was say, make some real melee combat or interesting levels or even just levels that aren't populated with fifteen dozen of the same creature around every corner. If I could feel like I was doing something more meaningful than pressing the mouse button five times a second, I'd be drooling. If maybe I had some better choices with my attack, like (dare I say it, because I actually hate the game) God of War.

The NPC party system may help somewhat, but right now I'm on the fence. I know they're sticking with the tried-and-true formula but I'm not sure if it's enough this time around. Will I buy it anyway though? Yeah, probably a year later after it's $25, just because it's Blizzard and thus good for at least a few hours of highly polished entertainment.

I loved the bejeezus out of Brood War but even Starcraft 2 looks like it will have the same problem for me. It's being so faithful to the original that it ends up being locked in some kind of 20th-century gameplay limbo. But we'll see, neither game is out yet.

The cinematic trailer was amazing. I wish they'd just make movies like that, I'd pay to see them, twice.

The game demo also looked amazing, until about 6 minutes in when I realized... that's ALL there is. Bang. Crash. Splat. Splat. Crash. Over and freaking over again. It's sad really, because their game engine is so gorgeous even in it's current state, that it would make a fantastic RPG, or at least a game with a storyline greater than 2 inches deep.

I'm not 12 anymore and it isn't exciting to collect pieces of matched armor like Pokemon cards. Unfortunately, there is probably a whole new legion of 12-year-olds that DO collect armor and Pokemon cards that will make up a large portion of this game's client base.

All they had to do to make me a True Believer again (I enjoyed D1 and D2, but Titan Quest showed me how limited this genre is) was say, make some real melee combat or interesting levels or even just levels that aren't populated with fifteen dozen of the same creature around every corner. If I could feel like I was doing something more meaningful than pressing the mouse button five times a second, I'd be drooling. If maybe I had some better choices with my attack, like (dare I say it, because I actually hate the game) God of War.

The NPC party system may help somewhat, but right now I'm on the fence. I know they're sticking with the tried-and-true formula but I'm not sure if it's enough this time around. Will I buy it anyway though? Yeah, probably a year later after it's $25, just because it's Blizzard and thus good for at least a few hours of highly polished entertainment.

I loved the bejeezus out of Brood War but even Starcraft 2 looks like it will have the same problem for me. It's being so faithful to the original that it ends up being locked in some kind of 20th-century gameplay limbo. But we'll see, neither game is out yet.

Remember that the difficulty goes up the farther you go into the game (hopefully ALOT). In D2 you really need to put thought into planning you char otherwise you're fucked in the later difficulties (wich are part of the same game). If they do not manage to make diablo3 hard enough it will suck badly, as you pointed out, it will all just be "bang splash clash" and maybe you would be able to go with just about any build for your char without having to study how your skills work and how perfect your skill usage... wich would make the experience tiring and boring. So yeah hopefully they make d3 really difficult.

I'm in the same boat. It's nice to see that such a popular franchise gets a sequel, but it really never appealed to me. I certainly don't intend to spend money on the new game, since I never did with the previous ones. I only played the second one at a friend's.

In D2 you really need to put thought into planning you char otherwise you're fucked in the later difficulties (wich are part of the same game). If they do not manage to make diablo3 hard enough it will suck badly, as you pointed out, it will all just be "bang splash clash" and maybe you would be able to go with just about any build for your char without having to study how your skills work and how perfect your skill usage... wich would make the experience tiring and boring.

That's very true, in fact it's the prime reason I never finished D2. I went through twice with two different characters and got smacked down near the end of the Jungle level both times. A third time I lost a character to a silly mistake in the Astral plane level thing. After that, I just gave up (because when you die, it immediately autosaves). Challenge is nice but that is what I call the game punishing the player for playing it.

It's exactly the same thing as what I mentioned earlier: it's something that was captivating and exciting when I was 12, but now that I have a real life and a real (challenging) job, I am far more interested in games that are not so punishing, or at least one that I can tone it down a bit if I want to have, you know... fun. I'm not sure if this means that I'm turning into an old fart and I'm no longer in the target demographic, or if it means that Blizzard is simply not evolving their gameplay mechanics to keep up with the times. Either way, I don't like it. Between this, Starcraft2, and WOTLK, I'm starting to get concerned that Blizzard is rehashing old ideas and not really moving forward with new gameplay concepts. One of my biggest pet peeves is watching good companies do dumb things because they thought the gravy train was going to never leave the station, or talented dev groups chained down by the need to mindlessly reiterate a previous success.

In the recent interview, the COO of Blizzard stated they hired gamers to help make games people want to play (e.g. the direct opposite of EA's philosophy). I thought that was a very noble, Google-esque notion, until I realized that it's BS because Blizzard hasn't made a new groundbreaking game since what, the original Diablo and Starcraft/Warcraft? Yes, WOW is amazing simply because it works, but even it is just an extension of those same two original concepts (killing hordes and collecting unique loot). If I was a Blizzard dev and I said, "gee, we haven't really had a unique idea in like 10 years, lets do something really different" would it be accepted or shot down?

Whatever happened to Starcraft: Ghost?

Back