After a year of working my gigabyte P35-DS3R will not boot

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
I powered down my computer last night after playing some TF2. Today when I tried booting up, the fans started spinning, LEDs came on and then after about 4 seconds it reset. It will keep resetting like this until I flip the switch on my PSU. Now why would my system work flawlessly for a year and all of a sudden decide not to boot?

Specs:
Gigabyte P35-DS3R Rev 1
E6420 CPU
2GB crucial ballistix ddr2 800
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
Enermax 485watt PSU

I've tried resetting the bios using the jumper, reseating the RAM, and stripping the components down to the bare minimum, and nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a reboot loop. Unplug the power button connector from the mobo and use the reset button connector in its place. That way, you power up by pressing the reset button. See if it's the power button that's causing the resets.
I've seen the same problem happening to a rig that has a malfunctioning power button.

I tried it and no luck. After searching the web a bit I discovered that this is actually a very common problems among gigaybte P35 boards. They work great for a while and then all of a sudden die. I hope the RMA process is good. Using this old 1.8ghz Tbred kinda sucks.

Hello. Could you actually boot to the desktop before the PC tries to reboot? Any beeps?

1. If you cannot get to the desktop I would say you have a hardware issue.

Some ideas;

1. Take out ram and start computer. If you get a series of three beeps, bios is good. If you do not get any beeps, your bios is suspect bad.

2. Please check connections and re seat your cpu heatsink. Maybe over time, the heatsink settled making a bad space and causing the cpu to overheat.

3. Check power supply with a power supply tester.

4. I read you have reseated the ram. Could still be a ram issue. Take out one stick and boot. Then try the other. If you get a good boot suspect your other stick is bad. Double confirm by running the other please.

Good Luck!

sorry bud-- that thing is DEAD... I have that same board and the first one did the same thing... There is no fix..At least at the time i was going through it... I was lucky the place i got it from exchanged it for a new one so i didnt have to go through the rma process.. There are a few threads out there about this.. Those boards have a problem for sure.. Goodluck getting a new board-- maybe they will let you get a newer board(x34,x48) for just a few more bucks)..

Hey, you replied in another thread of mine.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320302

And yes, I have the same board and mine did the EXACT same thing last Saturday. If after resetting the BIOS, it doesn't come back, then "it's dead Jim"!

A better question is WHY in the heck is this happening to Gigabyte boards? It doesn't seem to be limited to P35-DS3R boards. I've read on other forums of this happening to other Gigabyte boards. The one consistency I've noticed is that they were all early revisions of the board. I noticed that your revision is also a rev. 1.x .... just like mine! This issues seems to be resolved with revision 2 and higher. Gigabyte support could not shed any light on the subject when I spoke with them other than "they have seen this problem on a few other boards, and apologize".

I tried the exchange thing but all they will do is "repair" your board and flash the new BIOS with the latest revision. It just needs a new BIOS chip. Be prepared for a wait as they told me it would take about 3 WEEKS to get it back! Sooooooo, I'm going to have to purchase another motherboard cuz I'm dead in the water. I have personally owned 3 other Gigabyte motherboards and I will NOT let this deter me from their product, but I will NOT ever own a revision 1 Gigabyte board again. That being said, I'm going ASUS this time; P5E Deluxe over the GA-X48-DS4 rev 1 board.

Another point that I brought up was this, what's the purpose in having a dual/quad BIOS if you can't get to the frickin thing to initiate a restoration from a backup BIOS? It kinda defeats the purpose.

Back