BenQ V2400W: Another Look

gtg465x

2[H]4U
BenQ V2400W

The V2400W is a 24” LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1200. It sports a TN panel and has an MSRP of $499. However, at the time of this review the V2400W is on sale directly from BenQ for $409.

Before I get started, I would like to point out that no calibration was done on this monitor for the review. It was left at factory settings because most people shopping for a 24” monitor in this price range don’t own a calibration device. Also note that the wavy lines in some of the pictures were caused by my camera, not the monitor. With that out of the way, let’s get started…

Unboxing

The outer box was in good shape upon arrival and appears to be fairly sturdy.

Opening the outer box revealed the actual retail box thoroughly surrounded by packing peanuts. The retail box definitely wasn’t bouncing around inside the outer box.

Inside the retail box, the monitor was completely covered in foam wrapping. Included in the box were a driver CD, a manual, a power cable, and a VGA cable. The absence of a DVI cable is extremely disappointing for a monitor that retails for $500. Considering DVI cables only cost a couple dollars to manufacture, this is inexcusable.

After removing the foam wrapping from the monitor, I was pleasantly surprised to see that every area of glossy plastic was protected from fingerprints and dirt. Unfortunately, the screen was not protected and there were already a couple fingerprints on it.

Appearance and Design

The V2400W is certainly one of the sexiest 24” monitors around. It has a matte screen surrounded by glossy black plastic and silver trim. The stand and casing are made entirely of plastic, but they feel surprisingly sturdy.

The controls, which are touch sensitive, are well placed and easy to read. An audible beep lets you know when a button is pressed. The buttons also illuminate when in use and turn off after a short period of time so as not to disturb you. This makes adjustments a breeze even in the dark. All of the buttons aside from the power button are very responsive. The power button sometimes takes a few touches to activate when the monitor is turned off.

Unfortunately, there are several major design flaws. The first one is the non-removable stand. This means there is no VESA compatible mounting area, so you can forget mounting the V2400W on the wall.

The second flaw is the lack of stand adjustments. There is no way to swivel or change the height of the monitor. All you get is tilt adjustment.

As you might have heard, BenQ is pitching the V2400W as the world’s thinnest 24” LCD monitor. While it’s certainly very thin, it would be even more impressive if it didn’t bulge out in the rear center. See for yourself how it compares to the LG L246WP, an admittedly thick 24” monitor.

The third design flaw is the off center stand. It does look cool, but it causes the monitor to tilt ever so slightly to the left, as you can see in the picture below. This probably wouldn’t have been an issue if the stand was metal.

Viewing Angles

The V2400W has fairly average viewing angles compared to other current TN panels. As is usual for TN panels, it looks decent from the sides and top, but turns very dark and looks like a negative photo from the bottom. The viewing angle from the bottom is actually worse than the last picture would have you believe.

The area in which the V2400W falls slightly behind some other current TN panels is when viewing solid colors. As you can see, colors sometimes change drastically from top to bottom.

Picture Quality and Adjustments

The V2400W has above average picture quality for a TN panel. Images are vibrant, text is sharp, and colors appear fairly accurate at the factory settings. There is no noticeable banding in gradients and the grayscale is visible from 4-251, which is about average for a monitor in this price range.

The V2400W has five video modes: Standard (default), Movie, Dynamics, Photo, and sRGB. Brightness, which adjusts the backlight, and contrast settings are available in all modes.

Standard and sRGB look nearly identical and colors appear more accurate in these modes than the others. The ability to manually adjust the colors and sharpness is only available in Standard mode.

Movie, Dynamics, and Photo are cooler and more saturated than Standard and sRGB. These modes also allow dynamic contrast to be enabled, but I don’t recommend it. The screen flickers when changing brightness in dynamic contrast mode and it’s quite distracting.

Inputs and Scaling

The V2400W has three inputs: DVI, HDMI, and D-sub. Unfortunately, DVI is really the only viable option for computer use. Colors look the same when using D-sub, but the image is somewhat blurry compared to DVI and HDMI. HDMI looks the same as DVI, but the display never goes into standby mode. It just goes to the blue screen shown below.

For the most part, the V2400W does an excellent job of scaling. It has three scaling options: Full, 1:1, and Aspect. Full stretches the image to fill the screen, 1:1 displays an unstretched image at the center of the screen, and Aspect stretches the image as far as possible without changing the image proportions. The only two disappointments are no 1:1 mode in 1680x1050 for all inputs and no 1:1 or Aspect mode in 1920x1080 for D-sub. Xbox 360 owners that use a VGA cable are likely going to be stuck with a stretched image in 1920x1080.

The table below shows which scaling modes work and which don’t. Blue means it works perfectly, red means it doesn’t work properly, and NA means the option is grayed out.

25ug4.bmp

Watching Movies

Watching movies on the V2400W was a mixed experience. There is an odd issue when the resolution is set to 1920x1080. With my Toshiba 1080i HD-DVD player, the image had a white haze to it between the black bars on the top and bottom. The picture on the left depicts this. The whole screen should be black and there should not be a stark transition between the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and the actual image. When I set my PC to 1920x1080 I experienced the opposite effect. This can be seen in the picture on the right. The actual image was black this time, but the bars on the top and bottom had a white haze to them.

Another issue I found was that the V2400W is terrible at displaying interlaced signals. The image was jittery and artifacts appeared quite often.

One thing the V2400W manages to handle properly that so many other monitors mess up is overscan. There is an option to turn it on or off and the image looks as expected in both scenarios. The picture on the left shows a video with overscan turned off and the picture on the right shows the video with overscan turned on.

With the issues mentioned above, it seems as if the only way to properly display movies on the V2400W is to play them through a PC with the resolution set to 1920x1200. The Blu-Ray version of Rambo looked amazing this way.

Gaming

Gaming on the V2400W was a joy. I couldn’t detect any ghosting or input lag. I didn’t even bother enabling BenQ’s overdrive technology, AMA (Advanced Motion Accelerator), because I didn’t feel the need to. Overdrive technology often causes unwanted visual artifacts so it’s best left alone if you’re happy without it.

Conclusion

One thing I didn’t mention in the review is backlight bleed. This is mainly due to the fact that pictures don’t accurately depict what I see with my eyes. When I turned the monitor on for the first time, I thought the backlight bleed was quite bad. However, I am pleased to report that over the course of two weeks the backlight bleeding has improved tremendously. There is still a small amount of backlight bleed along the top and bottom edge of the screen, but it’s in line with other current TN panels and isn’t very distracting. If you really want to see the backlight bleed, look back to the Rambo picture.

Overall, the BenQ V2400W is a stylish, well rounded monitor with a fairly average feature set. It has the potential to be an exceptional monitor in the $400 price range if some of the problems are patched up in a second revision. As it is, it’s still a good monitor if it can be found for around $400. However, at $500 it begins to drop into the mediocre category.

Here’s a quick summary of the pros and cons:

The Good

- Very stylish
- Very thin
- Good build quality
- Well thought out controls and menus
- Above average picture quality for a TN panel
- Good scaling (for the most part)
- No detectable ghosting or input lag

The Bad

- No DVI or HDMI cable included in the box
- Non-removable stand and no place to attach a wall mount
- No swivel or height adjustments
- Monitor tilts slightly left due to off center stand
- No standby mode for HDMI
- No 1:1 scaling for 1680x1050
- No 1:1 or Aspect scaling for 1920x1080 using D-Sub
- Some odd image problems displaying 1920x1080 over DVI and HDMI
- Not good at handling interlaced signals

-gtg465x :eek:

Thanx for a supergreat review. Much better than 10e:s which didnt feel objective.

This one should be sticky!!!!

Good review.

I just recieved my V2400W and overall agree with your comments. I agree with your price point input and if this had been $499 I would have thought about the purchase but at $409 I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the review, I've been debating between another FHD 2400 gateway or switching to 2 of these benq's

the price is great, but the lack of swivel and height adjustment makes me avoid this particular screen...

Thanks OP!

I agree it needs height adjustment and swivel, however, my V2400 is even on both sides. Anyone else have uneven V2400?

Just to clarify, the screen tilt is so minute that I don't notice it during normal use. I'm only able to tell if I'm specifically looking for it.

A perhaps slightly more critical and balanced view (albeit less extensive) than the others we have seen on the V2400W in this forum so far.

I bought the V2400W after having ordered the Hazro 24" and sent it back and previous to that having used the VP171b (for 3.5 years).

There are _major_ colour shifts along the midsection of the panel.

If one for example looks at spreadsheets (whole screen) in Excel the grey lines seperating the fields will have a blue tinge to them above the midsection and a red tinge to them below the midsection. This holds true for white pages with black text on them as well (e.g., in Adobe/Word) (i.e., blue tinge on the upper half and a red tinge on the lower half).

Unfortunately, this colour shift results in a (at least perceived) contrast shift also. The contrast in the upper half of the screen is far better than that in the lower half of the screen.

It is annoying and one notices everytime one sits down in front of the screen. After working for a while one gets fairly used to it though and to an extent learns to ignore it.

The shifts are much less noticable when the background is not uniform (e.g., games).

This problem is NOT a TN problem. My 3.5 year old VP171b does not have this problem to nearly the same extent. There are very slight shifts on the older screen but one needs to look carefully for them and as said it is nowhere near as bad as with the newer screen.

I am keeping my V2400W despite a red stuck pixel and this problem. It feels very responsive in games AND more importantly is it a 250cd/m^2 max screen that allows for much lower brightness settings than other new panels (c.f., Hazro 24").

Strange though, how a panel 3.5 years down the line is markedly poorer in a (arguably) very important aspect ....

(i do realize that the vertical height of the V2400W is roughly 200 pixels more (and has a slightly larger pixel pitch) and that this could account for some of the larger colour shifts. HOWEVER, the colour shifts are visible mid-screen (i.e., around 800 pixels +-400 pixels). Thus, the increased colour/contrast shifts cannot be explained by the larger vertical axis).

Cheers

A

I think a good explanation is in this article from Behardware.com where they talk about cost cutting on TN panels. Maybe this is why the chasm in price between TN and VA/IPS has grown lately because of these processes designed to lower TN prices.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/681-1/panels-that-are-produced-too-economically.html

My first experience with TNs in 2002 were similar to what you speak of here. Noticeable color shifts at a very small change in viewing angle and huge inconsistencies between top, middle and bottom. I quickly "donated" that monitor and switched to CRT again.

My brother-in-law's older TN based BenQ 19" that he bought in 2004 had some viewing angle issues, but what I've noticed, especially concerning HardForums, is that the grey shift is smaller when vertical viewing angles change on his screen vs. the G2400W and V2400W, or Samsung 2493HM that I've had/tried. There is shift on this older screen, but it doesn't seem as drastic.

I don't seem to experience as drastic a color shift as the photos from GTG465X though, but it's good to get different experiences and reviews out there for people to note that there are inconsistencies.

Regards,

10e

A perhaps slightly more critical and balanced view (albeit less extensive) than the others we have seen on the V2400W in this forum so far.

I bought the V2400W after having ordered the Hazro 24" and sent it back and previous to that having used the VP171b (for 3.5 years).

There are _major_ colour shifts along the midsection of the panel.

If one for example looks at spreadsheets (whole screen) in Excel the grey lines seperating the fields will have a blue tinge to them above the midsection and a red tinge to them below the midsection. This holds true for white pages with black text on them as well (e.g., in Adobe/Word) (i.e., blue tinge on the upper half and a red tinge on the lower half).

Unfortunately, this colour shift results in a (at least perceived) contrast shift also. The contrast in the upper half of the screen is far better than that in the lower half of the screen.

It is annoying and one notices everytime one sits down in front of the screen. After working for a while one gets fairly used to it though and to an extent learns to ignore it.

The shifts are much less noticable when the background is not uniform (e.g., games).

This problem is NOT a TN problem. My 3.5 year old VP171b does not have this problem to nearly the same extent. There are very slight shifts on the older screen but one needs to look carefully for them and as said it is nowhere near as bad as with the newer screen.

I am keeping my V2400W despite a red stuck pixel and this problem. It feels very responsive in games AND more importantly is it a 250cd/m^2 max screen that allows for much lower brightness settings than other new panels (c.f., Hazro 24").

Strange though, how a panel 3.5 years down the line is markedly poorer in a (arguably) very important aspect ....

(i do realize that the vertical height of the V2400W is roughly 200 pixels more (and has a slightly larger pixel pitch) and that this could account for some of the larger colour shifts. HOWEVER, the colour shifts are visible mid-screen (i.e., around 800 pixels +-400 pixels). Thus, the increased colour/contrast shifts cannot be explained by the larger vertical axis).

Cheers

A

Excellent review! I saw your username on the homepage and immediately identified you with my university and had to read. :)

Funny, my v2400w is tilted slightly to the RIGHT,
but I think over time it will level off due to the weight on the left side
since the stand is off center to the right. But dumb decision on the stand.
Why not just put it in the friking middle of the monitor? I really think the viewing angles
are quite good compared to other 24" TNs, but I think the colors are very dull. You
really can't tell on the desktop, but in games that have glowing guns, swords, signs, etc.
the color is just not vibrant and there. And in darker games like Doom3, Jericho,etc. you
can't see anything unless you really crank up the brightness/contrast so much that when you go back to windows you just see bleach. But I am fairly happy with the monitor and will keep it,
because you just can't buy a PVA, IPS, or MVA panel with less that 2 frames of lag, this
panel seems to have 1 frame which is the best you're going to do on a LCD today.

Thanks for your comments 10e

I do not perceive the colour shifts to be as bad as the reviewer for uniform coloured backgrounds.

However, it is apparent on uniform white backgrounds and becomes especially apparent when viewing something dark on a white background (i.e., black text, or excel's cell dividers).

I suppose it is hard to compare these things for at least three reasons:

a) Photographs of LCD's are likely to either attenuate or exacerbate what the eye perceives

b) What the eye perceives is likely to be at least slightly due to individual differences (e.g., contrast shift may be more or less annoying/apparent for different people)

c) I am not very knowledgeable on the production "evenness" of LCD panels but I imagine that there will be variations from panel to panel (even if it is from the same production batch/line).

With regards to your previous comments about the brightness of LCD panels (other posts) I completely agree. It would be very nice if something like the new 24" HP panel became available but without all the fancy colour implementations (and hence substantially cheaper). Alternatively, manufacturers could just start using weaker backlights in the current batch of IPS panels.

A

I don't know why it only allows full screen scaled of this resolution.

This wasn't a problem with the G2400W or FP241VW I've tried it on.

It seems to be a firmware bug, which would be nice if they fixed it. Alternatively, using video card scaling this won't be too huge an issue, and I've always preferred it to monitor scaling.

Regards,

10e

So 1680x1050 @ 1:1 is not supported..?? Wonder why..?

10e..So G2400W does not have this issue...nice.
I will pick up an G2400WD since they have just been released in Sweden. Choosen BenQ G2400WD after reading alot of BenQ in this forum threads...seems to be good value for the money...

I cannot comment on the G2400WD, but if its firmware is the same as the V2400W (as it uses the same panel I believe) it will also only allow full screen at 1680x1050 even if the video card is set to not scale, and the monitor is set to 1:1.

The G2400WD is different from the original G2400W. It adds dynamic contrast and overdrive, just like the V2400W.

Regards,

10e

10e..So G2400W does not have this issue...nice.
I will pick up an G2400WD since they have just been released in Sweden. Choosen BenQ G2400WD after reading alot of BenQ in this forum threads...seems to be good value for the money...

Back