NVIDIA Reports Problem With Laptop Chips

HardOCP News

[H] News
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, NVIDIA admitted that it has discovered a serious problem with a “significant number” of its mobile GPUs. The company also said it was lowering its revenue forecast for the second quarter due to pricing pressure and delayed product ramps.

Nvidia will take a charge against second-quarter earnings of US$150 million to $200 million to cover the expected cost of repairing and replacing the products, which include graphics processing units and media and communications processors. It didn't say specifically which of its products were affected.

Maybe they should have spent the last 2 years fixing their current products instead of sitting on their asses doing nothing. :rolleyes:

Maybe they should have spent the last 2 years fixing their current products instead of sitting on their asses doing nothing.

Yeah, just what were they thinking creating the fastest single GPU solution in the world. :rollseyes:

Hm, I'll be interested in seeing what chips are being recalled/replaced. I wonder if the quadro in my Thinkpad T61P is one of the problem chips. I've had odd blue screens on that laptop and on other systems the only Vista blue screens I've ever seen were caused by over clocking or bad hardware. At first I thought it was an overheating problem, but prime runs on it no problem.

I've been meaning to look into it further, but hadn't had the time.

I hope that Nvidia releases the models affected by this soon. I think we have a right to know.

The products have been failing in the field at "higher than normal rates," Nvidia said. In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, it said it was talking to its supply chain about getting reimbursed for some of the costs.

Why should they get reimbursed for any of the cost? It was their poor design that caused the problem. They should have done a better job making their product. That goes for any company. If they do a halfass job making something to get it out the door and make as much money as they can, then they should be 100% responsible for the cost of a recall or replacement when they start failing.

I would definitely think, that the Asus A8J series is one of them, I have never had a laptop overheat as much as this thing does. Between Asus horrible heat sink on the CPU and the graphic card being crammed right next to its was a combo bound for disaster.

28% a few hours in to trading, ouch

They'll probably stabilize soon but that's just a terrible result to happen 2 weeks after a new launch

The markets aren't doing well in general right now. Everyone is jumpy and any blood in the water is going to create a stronger reaction than it normally would. It might take nVidia a while to recover from this. OTOH, people might see these prices and decide it's a good time to buy. It's just that with the growing bearishness going on, I just don't see a lot of money coming their way right now.

In one aspect, I am glad I don't own nVidia stock. From another aspect, maybe it is time to buy with the price so low.

If AMD and ATI are team red and green. and Intel is team blue. What team is Nvidia? Yellow?

oh, and don't kid yourself Nvidia sits on whatever there next card is until ATI announces theres and then trumps them. They've done it every generation since the 9800(ATI). Do you really think Nvidia is about a day or two behind ATI in there development cycle of a better card?

(not meant to start an argument about who is better, just pointing out the releasing strategy)

In a down market, this will definitely hurt investor confidence in the company when one week you say estimates are on track then next you say its worse and can get worse

That said, they've traded blows with ATI forever and ATI / AMD survived a far worse situation in this past year and a half so Nvidia will be fine. That said, some heads y roll if things don't get fixed fast given that this is the first time in a while (if ever) they've had a launch and seen stocks fall this fast.

Good. Nvidia needs to get slapped around a little for those ridiculous GTX 200 prices and retarded UMAP policy.

Somehow I still feel like I'm stuck io the starter village looking for the last damn quest so I can get out. Someone know of a good FAQ?

I have a 8600M GT and I came from a Go 7900GS so yeah, I feel a little dushed by NV in the last year.

If AMD and ATI are team red and green. and Intel is team blue. What team is Nvidia? Yellow?

Well actually, you're exactly right. The surname (Huang) of Nvidia's chairman Jen-Hsun Huang means yellow in Chinese. And I agree, Nvidia will be out swinging hard as soon as is technically feasible. And the longer we wait, the more dire the state of their corporate health would seem to be, so I hope we hear from them soon.

Nvidia has 1.6 billion in cash and equivalents with no debt, so the company is still healthy even with these problems.

Compared to AMD with $5 billion in debt, Nvidia should be doing fine in the long run once it fixes its problems.

Let's just call them "Team Christmas."

Also I wonder if the 9600GT is possibly one of these, because mines artifacting here or there in a perfectly cool case and the things only a couple months old. :(

Doh nevermind, just re-read its mobile gpus. Guess I just got unlucky.

Why should they get reimbursed for any of the cost? It was their poor design that caused the problem. They should have done a better job making their product. That goes for any company. If they do a halfass job making something to get it out the door and make as much money as they can, then they should be 100% responsible for the cost of a recall or replacement when they start failing.

article said:
Nvidia hasn't determined the exact cause of the problem but said it relates to a packaging material used with some of its chips, as well as the thermal design of some laptops.
Looks like a manuafacturing process could be at fault, and OEM design issues. That's probably why they are looking for reimbursement.

So it's probably less of an Nvidia issue trying to move units quickly and more like OEMs installing the chips in less than optimal thermal environments, on top of a possible manufacturing problem. They haven't really said that Nvidia designed the chips to use the wrong material, they haven't pointed the finger at the source of that problem yet so who knows. I just think that packaging would be in the hands of the chip producer. They would know best (I think).

we have the stuff to make complete solid-state rigs, why not solder everything together permanently in a apple-sized pretty white case and sell the SHIT out of them?

LOL. (as much as I can LOL in my cubicle..)

Somehow I still feel like I'm stuck io the starter village looking for the last damn quest so I can get out. Someone know of a good FAQ?
You need to grind enough gold to pay for transportation to the other continent. If you're having gold problems, see if your town has a strip club and go grind gold there.

ati isnt allowed to get a monopoly going in the video graphics business, nvidia needs to do something about this

Not sure what all the "excitment" is about. Everyone in the NASDAQ is in the crapper. The entire index is down something like 15% YTD. What is intel and AMD cheering about, they are doing just as bad. add AMD and INTC to the graph and see for yourself: http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:NVDA

Well, the nasdaq has been in the "crapper". The big deal is Nvidia just lost 30% of it's stock's value. (18.03 at open today, currently at 12.70)

Will it recover? Probably. Fact is, the company has 800Million on hand in cash. It has another 800M in short term investments. Giving it 1.6B in near liquid assests. It's not about to go bankrupt.

Just remember 2 things kids:
Stock price has nothing to do with how a company actually preforms, it is based on speculation. And unless a company issues stock, the stock price will in no way affect the companies operations. Yes, really! Even if the stock price went down to 1 penny tomorrow, it wouldn't effect the company at all.

Now, with a price this low, it might attract a hostile take over or something. But that's about it.

Not sure what all the "excitment" is about. Everyone in the NASDAQ is in the crapper. The entire index is down something like 15% YTD. What is intel and AMD cheering about, they are doing just as bad. add AMD and INTC to the graph and see for yourself: http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:NVDA

15%YTD and 30% over night are just a bit different stories....

Intel and AMD are cheering about it, and they are NOT doing just as bad today, far from it.

Just remember 2 things kids:
Stock price has nothing to do with how a company actually preforms, it is based on speculation. And unless a company issues stock, the stock price will in no way affect the companies operations. Yes, really! Even if the stock price went down to 1 penny tomorrow, it wouldn't effect the company at all.

Glad you are not my broker. But you must be an analyst to really believe that. Analysts are what is wrong with the stock markets. Just my 2 cents, you may need change.

Well, I put in a limit order to buy 50 shares at no more than $12.70. We'll see if I get the shares at all, and if I do, where it goes. I'm interested. It's not a lot of money, but I have faith in NVDA, and I think in 6 months or a year, it'll be back around $20, maybe even $30. That may be way too bullish for this market climate, but NVDA going out of business would be like Intel going out of business: unthinkable, at least to me.

Hell, it might go to zero tomorrow, but if it does, I haven't lost too much, eh? :p

You need to grind enough gold to pay for transportation to the other continent. If you're having gold problems, see if your town has a strip club and go grind gold there.

This game is called the internet, the starter village alone is 98% strip joints. I try to go your route and grind them, but my status keeps changing to virus or Trojan so my experience is cut in half and I slow to a crawl. Since I chose the hacker class I also have the feds on my ass. All 'n all I'm getting no where fast, I should of chosen the l337 script kiddy class, heard they gain experience like nothing, most of it leeched off of others.

Ouch.. I hope you didn't get burnt too bad on the 3dfx stock.

Although all investment is a gamble and the risk is there, I would bet on their stock bouncing back at some point.

I do not buy any type of tech stocks considering what I do for a living.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032705090 said:
Well, I put in a limit order to buy 50 shares at no more than $12.70. We'll see if I get the shares at all, and if I do, where it goes. I'm interested. It's not a lot of money, but I have faith in NVDA, and I think in 6 months or a year, it'll be back around $20, maybe even $30. That may be way too bullish for this market climate, but NVDA going out of business would be like Intel going out of business: unthinkable, at least to me.

Hell, it might go to zero tomorrow, but if it does, I haven't lost too much, eh? :p

50 shares @ 12.70? Hell, why dont you just cut your losses and for $600+ just buy a GTX280? ;)

Nvidia's arrogance is the problem. Their unwillingness to license SLI to Intel chipsets, coupled with the fact their own Intel SLI chipset boards flat suck. Intel has the dominant cpu platform and dominant cpu chipsets now. Nvidia would sell many more video cards if they would only license to Intel. The arrival of the superb new Radeon 4XXX cards, the fact they will work in Crossfire mode on recent Intel's chipset, the fact is they offer better performance per dollar, is going to drive ATI sales like nothing since the fabled 9700 cards.

I have used nothing but Nvidia cards the last few years, but plan to switch back to ATI as soon as the Radeon 4870 supply stabilizes. In fact, I plan to either buy two for Crossfire, or buy a single 4870 now, and then trade up to a 4870 X2 when they become available.

As for now Nvidia can kiss my ass.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032705090 said:

Won't go anywhere tommorow. Market is closed for the 4th :p

50 shares @ 12.70? Hell, why dont you just cut your losses and for $600+ just buy a GTX280? ;)

Well, I'm paying for my college education now too, so I didn't wanna buy 200 shares and lock my money up in NVDA right now. I mean, I'm speculating that it goes back up to about $25 by Christmas or so. Right now, the stock has little value to me, especially because commission costs cut into what I might make. I'm trying to keep my assets fairly liquid.

Also, I have an 8800GTX now and a free PCI-E slot. I'd be silly to scrap my old tech now when I can buy another GTX for about $350 and get a 75% performance gain. I'm looking for an 8800GTX and a C2Q for Christmas! :D

Back