PS3 Folding Guide

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
System Updates

The latest Folding@Home client will require a firmware update for the PS3. Now is a good time to update your machine to the latest version. You can update via the internet or by accessing the update from a CD, but since you will need a network connection to fold, we'll assume that you have one and update that way.

From the main menu, Select the Settings submenu. The first entry on that menu will be “System Update.” Select update via internet and you're off. A couple OK's and a reboot or two and you're done.

Installing the Folding@Home client

From the main menu, move over to the Network submenu. At the bottom of this menu will be the Folding@Home application. If you are running the application for the first time, it will have to download everything first. Hit X and your on your way.

Configuring the Folding@Home client

Once the application is running, you can bring up the main menu at any time by hitting the triangle. On this menu, scroll down to “Identity” and then “Change Donor's Name” once that menu pops up. On this screen, you will have a box to enter your username and an onscreen keyboard to “type” with. If your username contains any special characters such as brackets, there is a button directly under the z that contains these characters. Hit Enter in the bottom right and you have your name set. Then select “Join an Existing Team” and enter 33. The client is now configured and folding under your name.

While still at the main menu, you can hit the green triangle while the folding application is hilighted, and have folding start after the PS3 is idle for 10, 20 or 30 minutes.

At this time, the Folding@Home application CANNOT run in the background, so you will have to stop folding to do anything else with the PS3 and restart the application once you are done with everything else.

Folding modes

Under the same main menu that you used to configure the username and team number for the client, there will be a box to select which mode you fold in. The options are currently Normal and Advanced. Normal mode is designed for casual folders who do not leave their PS3 running 24/7 and will therefore normally receive smaller work units. Advanced mode is for [H]ard folders who do not shut down the PS3. This mode is intended to receive larger units that are worth more points, however, if none are available then you will still get the smaller standard units. Some users also claim to receive a higher PPD for these larger units.

A screensaver mode can now be activated via the Settings menu in the Folding@Home application, allowing PS3 users to consume slightly less power and to increase performance of protein-folding simulations.

Tracking folding progress on the PS3

Unfortunately for folders who monitor their production with applications such as Fahmon or Fahspy, Sony has not allowed any way for these type of applications to monitor progress on the PS3. The only way to check on it at this time is to turn on the TV that the unit is attached to and read the output there. This is one of the first things suggested to Sony when the Folding@Home application was introduced, so don't expect this to change now.

In the upper right hand corner of the TV display, you will see a line displaying the username, a line displaying the team number, and a line displaying the number or work units completed. The work unit count increases once the unit completes and successfully returns to Stanford. If your unit has completed but had not uploaded yet, it will not add to the count, even if it has completed. But don't worry, the unit will eventually upload and your work unit count will increment.

Can I use my PS3 to also fold under my existing user name?

Yes, you can use any combination of clients to contribute points and work units to your username.

How much power does the PS3 consume?

The older models will consume 200W while folding. The new generation of machines utilizing 45nm Cell processors use only 130-140W.

How many PPD can I expect from my PS3?

Officially, the PS3 is benchmarked to perform at 900PPD. However, benchmarking is never an exact science and other factors may affect your performance, therefore YMMV.

Do the different models of PS3's fold any differently?

If the newer generations of PS3's fold any differently than the older generation, the difference is too small to be noticeable.

Besides folding performance, different models of PS3's do differ in features that are included. To see how your model compares to others, there is a chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

Should I run my PS3 24/7? Is it safe?

Yes, folding boxes should never be shut down. Many folders are running the folding client on their PS3 24/7 and have not experienced any problems. Some of them are still running PS3's that they bought the first day that they went on sale.

What routine maintenance is required to run my PS3?

The PS3 is the closest thing we have to set it and forget it we have in folding. Allow it ample breathing room and regularly check the air vents for dust and you'll be fine.

For users with a newer 40GB model, your PS3 has a “self-cleaning” feature. First, shut off the PS3 with the switch on the back. Then, while holding down the eject button, turn the unit back on by the switch on the back. This will turn the unit on while running the fans full blast for a short time, clearing out the path of air flow.

For 60GB models, there is a method for your machine as well, but assurance that it is both effective and safe is still pending.

I'm running project 4043 and it says its going to take all day and it's only 125points. What gives?

Work units from project 4044 are identifying themselves as 4043. These units take considerably longer, however they are actually worth 1250 points.

The official FAQ at Stanford, with video goodness:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-PS3

Not sure how necessary it is anymore, but I started on it, so I figured I might as well finish it and post it.

900-1000 PPD is still a respectable return, especially in this heated competition with OCAU for the top production spot.

It is definitely nothing to sneeze at. I've had mine running since February.

Nice write up alan, thanks for taking the time to put it together......and 900-1000ppd is absolutely a respectable return, in my opinion anyhow......of course, bear in mind this is coming from a guy that still runs a butt load of standard clients putting in 150ppd.....so, um.....yeah...:)

/beers and tamales for you dude.... nice job!

Back