GTX 280 3x SLI - 3 Teraflops and/or 3 terrible flops?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
GTX 280 3x SLI - 3 Teraflops and/or 3 terrible flops?

rig1pz1.jpg
rig2wj9.jpg

I wasn’t that busy at work yesterday and wrote most of the text for this post then when suddenly this more interesting pricing from nVidia started to appear along with nVidia's stock tanking. I bring this up only to say that the price vs. performance debate and recent cost reductions have nothing to do with this thread and those issues are being discussed elsewhere so please go to those places and discuss those issues.

The point of this thread is to not only to discuss 3x SLI performance but stability and usability as well. This is VERY informal and I’m not doing any comparisons with other cards or 2x SLI, that's a job for the pros.

Test System

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
INTEL Core 2 Quad QX9650 @ 3.83 GHz (11.5 x 333 – FSB 1333)
ASUS Striker II Extreme – BIOS 704 Beta
XFX Geforce GTX 280 Standard Clock x3 SLI – Forceware 177.41
Enermax EGX1000EWL Galaxy 1000W
4GB OCZ OCZ3P16004GK PC3-12800+
HITACHI 0A35772 1TB SATA 7200 RPM
2x Samsung 20X DVD±RW LightScribe Double Layer DVD
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower Case
HP w2408h 24" 1920x1200 LCD Primary/Gaming Monitor
LG L246WP-BN Flatron 24" 1920x1200 LCD Secondary Monitor

Yeah, I know, no 30” monitor. That said the games I have benchmarked here seem to scale pretty well when game settings are set to high levels even at 1920x1200. Average frame rates in Crysis didn’t really seem to increase much from informal observation with 2x SLI but I was able to apply 4xAA and even 8xAA where it just wasn’t as smooth with only two cards.

SLI & Overall Gaming Experience

This is my fourth SLI setup (2 7800 512 GTX, QUAD-SLI 7950 GX2, one 9800 GX2 which is SLI in one card). They all had obvious and glaring problems from crashing constantly to simply not working at all to chocking at higher settings. Not this setup. I’ve played each of these games near the beginning of each for around twenty minutes or so to kick the tires:

Half Life L2 (HL2)
Half Life L2 Episode 1 (HL2 E1)
Half Life L2 Episode 2 (HL2 E2)
GRID Demo
Crysis
Assassin’s Creed (AC)
TimeShift (TS)
Lost Planet (LP)
Gears of War (GoW)
Call Of Duty 4 (CoD4)
Unreal Tournament III (UT3)
Call of Juarez (CoJ)

No problems going in and out of one game to the next with Word, IE, HWMonitor and Excel open except I had to reboot the machine to get Gears of War to run without crashing to the desktop but once I did everything was fine. I’ve had that problem with GoW before on another non-SLI system so I'm confident the issue has nothing to do with SLI. I did notice a microstuttering issue in CoD4 and then turned on triple buffering in the nVidia Control Panel profile and the problem went away. That’s the only setting I touched other than in game settings. All of these games ran beautifully with 3x SLI enabled.

I’ve seen reviews that show HL2 E2 not scaling in 3x SLI which I assume is the case, but when the game is fully maxed out and you’re still getting an average of over 150 FPS, scaling at that point isn't very important.

Power, Heat and Noise

I don’t have a power meter so I don’t know what I’m pulling from the wall. Guru3D has done a review on 2x and 3x SLI and they reported their rig as pulling 700W or so which in the real world is pretty high. I do remember Anandtech stating in their launch article that they thought that you’d need at least a 1200W PSU and that ordinary house wiring might be problematic. That’s BS. I’m using the same PSU that Guru3D used and its not having any problems. A top end 1kW is plenty for 3x SLI unless you have a LOT of internal peripherals and then I’d think you’d still be fine. It’s not like you’re going to be watching BluRay movies and playing Crysis.

As far as heat is concerned it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that there’s a lot. I got my cards from top to bottom at about 90/85/90 after about an hour of Crysis. And of course with all that heat there are three not so quite fans running at a 100%. I don’t have a noise meter either but yes, it’s pretty loud but I remember those two 7800 512 GTX’s in SLI I had a few years back and they were louder. If you care about heat and noise you’ll have issues to deal with and may want to go with water cooling. I have a window air conditioner in my bedroom office to augment the central air so it masks the noise and cools while I’m gaming when its warm so that’s how I deal with it. I like a little white noise. To each his own.

Overclocking

I had two of these overclocked to 660/1420/1150 and they seemed solid. With three in a not so spacious of a case I dropped back down to standard clock speeds. I think I want to improve cooling before I worry about more performance from a system that doesn't need it for now.

Other Considerations

At 1920x1200 this setup very CPU bound, anywhere from 50% to 80% CPU utilization on the benchmarks where 25% or less was the norm for a single GPU. Just my informal observations looking at my G15 CPU utilization meter but it’s pretty obvious. You’ll actually NEED that overclocked CPU for this type of setup.

Performance Numbers

For more formal performance testing I tested Crysis, the GRID demo, Lost Planet Extreme Condition and Call of Juarez.

Crysis

For Crysis I benchmarked playing “Assault Harbor” from the first through the second cut scenes three times and averaged it together.

crysisassaultharborveryxn1.jpg

Not a 100 FPS for sure, in fact to a lot of people 35FPS looks bad until you play the game. I don’t have any numbers to prove it now but playing this scene or any scene for that matter with only 2 GTX 280’s with any AA turned on in game was much more sluggish.

GRID Demo

This is fun and beautiful driving game and I included it in this review because the ATI 4800 series seem to do much better in this title than the GTX 280/260 and I was curious to see what 3x SLI could do. This is with every setting at maximum including AA and the game is ultra smooth and beautiful.

griddemo1920x1200maximuyp6.jpg

Lost Planet

For this game I used the built in performance tester. I first started playing this game on a Athlon X2 4800+ QUAD-SLI 7950 GX2 setup under Windows XP at 1680x1050 and it was a real pig. Even a single GTX 280 can’t run this game well at the ALMOST maximum settings shown here. I had to take the AA down from C16XQ to C16X. C16XQ was practically unplayable due to stuttering and not the micro variety either.

lostplanetdx10200807032kp6.jpg

Call of Juarez

I don’t see this game in a lot a reviews but it’s very demanding, not as bad as Crysis but it gives a GPU a workout. Though I am not doing comparisons to 2x SLI I did notice how well this game scaled going from 2 to 3 cards. The average FPS went up 20 FPS. Not too bad.

cojdx102008070311324808tk9.jpg

UT3 – GPU PhysX

A note on the performance on UT3 and GPU based PhysX. Boy it seems slow. I didn’t bench it but from observation in playing the PhysX Lighthouse level with bots seemed to average only about 35FPS. That just doesn’t seem right as a single GTX 280 can easily handle this game sans PhysX. I need to look into this some more before I know what’s going on.

Conclusion

So there you have it. I may go back and try these benchmarks out with two cards but my main concerns here were Crysis performance and stability and usability issues. Stuff just worked with the exception of CoD4 needing triple buffering to clear up some microstuttering and the UT3 PhysX performance issue. Under load it’s pretty loud and generates a TON of heat. I may look at getting a bigger case as I don’t think that too much cooling would ever be a problem with three of these cards at full load.

Since we’re talking about at least $1500 as it stands today in GPU’s alone a 30” monitor is obviously what most people would want with this type of setup. However being able to turn just about every knob to max in everything, even Crysis with some decent AA, doesn’t make this setup useless at 1920x1200. You can still see noticeable performance gains though obviously not cost effective ones.

Happy Independence Day!

I'm thinking something is very broken with Tri-SLI (and possible standard 2x SLI) with GPU PhysX enabled in UT3.

Wish I had the kind of cash to swing that, but I'm happy enough with SLIed 8800 GTXs for now. Probably going to pick up a third with everyone jumping ship lately. ;)

Nice informal review. Don't think I could justify $1500 to play Crysis, ever, but for those who can...

Thanks for your time and effort you put in this, it's a killer rig you have there. Sheer power of these cards and CPU and everything there convinced me to something that i really didn't believe before, and that is that Crysis is really not optimized like many other people were saying all along. I mean, maybe i'm wrong, but for this setup to drop to 5 FPS for whatever reason, i have a hard time believing that. Anyhow, enjoy your setup man, and let us know if you ever do some of them "ultra/extreme" quality tweaks for Crysis, if it's helping any, many people are getting a lot better results with those tweaks.

Thanks!:)

The Crysis numbers are a little skewed because of save games taking the frame rate to zero, I probably should have thrown those out. When you look at Crysis numbers it's easy to be underwhelmed, but "Assault Harbor" where I was recording the benchmark looks like an action movie there's so much going on. The game plays very well really.

Thanks for the extensive review. It sounds as if Nvidia is finally starting to figure out microstuttering. I wouldn't mind returning to SLI if it's fixed (mostly), but I don't have the cash right now to do that. :)

I think it would be better to redo the Crysis numbers with the save/load times factored out and repost the graph when you get a chance. It sells the setup short otherwise.

Crysis Benchmark Update:

Taking your advice TKD I did another "Assault Harbor" bench,ark with no programs running on my desktop and taking the median of three runs for the min, max and average frame rates:

crysisassaultharborveryja9.jpg

I still got a low min frame rate in one of the runs but like I said I think that's game saves at checkpoints and transitioning which are noticeable in Crysis because its such a resource hog. In real world game play its not all that bad. The game is completely fluid and playable at these settings in my opinion. Plus it's gorgeous!

You mispelled Crysis on the chart :D. Anyway, thats some great FPS for crysis especially at my favorite preferences for games (1920x1200, 4x AA, everything maxed). Was there 16x AF too?

So with 2-3 280s is it pure cpu speed that matters or does a quad play a role in thier performance ?

Nice setup... its always great to see an extreme system like this .....great review

How does crysis run maxed but with no AA on two cards?

Just fine, I don't have numbers but from observation the frame rate at very high with no AA with two cards rarely dips below 30 FPS. That to me seems to be the key to Crysis, staying consistently above 25 FPS but even a little better 30 FPS. Staying consistently at 30 FPS makes Crysis completely really smooth. To me that's all Crysis needs.

That really is a nice setup you have there. Thanks a lot for the review. There seems to be a lot of people helping to educate others about some of the more high end cards. That is very [H]ard of you.

Do you have your setup folding? With those high end parts you could really throw a lot of points out and help the [H]orde of folders in the Distributed Computing section and of course help the medical research that is going on.

Stop by Distributed Computing sometime if you would like to get involved!

That really is a nice setup you have there. Thanks a lot for the review. There seems to be a lot of people helping to educate others about some of the more high end cards. That is very [H]ard of you.

Do you have your setup folding? With those high end parts you could really throw a lot of points out and help the [H]orde of folders in the Distributed Computing section and of course help the medical research that is going on.

Stop by Distributed Computing sometime if you would like to get involved!

Thanks! I was planning on getting involved with folding when the nVidia GPU client came out. Is it out yet?

Sorry, but the "3 terrible flops" had me rolling for a minute. People around me asked what the hell was so funny.

Thanks! I was planning on getting involved with folding when the nVidia GPU client came out. Is it out yet?

It is out and has been updated to get some of the bumps smoothed out. It is still not perfect, but that being said, it is very good. I do not know the exact numbers, but you would put out some serious PPD with your setup.

Nvidia has some pretty good support for their client too, so serious problems get fixed quick. There is GPU guide that will get you going if you want.

This is some really good info here. THANK YOU for the write up.

I, Personally, Cant see myself putting that kind of money in a Video Card Rig, but I am glad someone did.

This is some really good info here. THANK YOU for the write up.

I, Personally, Cant see myself putting that kind of money in a Video Card Rig, but I am glad someone did.

Thanks! I'm hoping when Elemental's Badaboom video encoder comes out to be being more than gaming and folding with this rig.

Crysis Benchmark Update:

Taking your advice TKD I did another "Assault Harbor" bench,ark with no programs running on my desktop and taking the median of three runs for the min, max and average frame rates:

crysisassaultharborveryja9.jpg

I still got a low min frame rate in one of the runs but like I said I think that's game saves at checkpoints and transitioning which are noticeable in Crysis because its such a resource hog. In real world game play its not all that bad. The game is completely fluid and playable at these settings in my opinion. Plus it's gorgeous!

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. Very nice framerates in crysis with aa enabled. BTW did you run that 1920 x 1600 benchmark with the gtx280s oc'ed or at stock? Just wondering how high of an avg and min fps gain do you get from oc'in these cards.
Thanks

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. Very nice framerates in crysis with aa enabled. BTW did you run that 1920 x 1600 benchmark with the gtx280s oc'ed or at stock? Just wondering how high of an avg and min fps gain do you get from oc'in these cards.
Thanks

Thank You!:)

All the runs here are at stock speeds. I've since been running at 660/1420/1150 with no issues so I might go back and redo these to see if what kind of bump there is. I really don't think it'd be much at 1920x1200 because things are quite CPU even at stock.

Thank You!:)

All the runs here are at stock speeds. I've since been running at 660/1420/1150 with no issues so I might go back and redo these to see if what kind of bump there is. I really don't think it'd be much at 1920x1200 because things are quite CPU even at stock.

You can probably push that memory clock higher if you wanted.

Your clocks are just a little below EVGA's FTW clocks. Anandtech directly compared the 280 FTW and a stock-clocked 280: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334&p=18 . Difference of ~10% would be reasonable.

Nice system and nice benches. BFG now has the watercooled version of the 280gtx at 579.99. Pretty tempting if you want to go the water cooling route.

Nice system and nice benches. BFG now has the watercooled version of the 280gtx at 579.99. Pretty tempting if you want to go the water cooling route.

Thanks!:) Yeah, that's not a bad deal. You could get some real speed out of those.

Here's the Devil May Cry 4 demo built in benchmark, the cards are clocked to 660/1420/1150 in this run. All in game settings at maximum, including AA set at C16xQ

devilmaycry4trialdx1020al2.jpg

Total domination. It's a shame all games can't scale like this. The scaling is practically 100% efficient.

@DMC4 Scaling.

Yeah I wish scaling worked like that in all games :)

Cool setup though, your case is packed!

@DMC4 Scaling.

Yeah I wish scaling worked like that in all games :)

Cool setup though, your case is packed!

Thanks!:) I still have the parts for a P35 Q6600 system for which I'm thinking about a 4870x2 and I might put this setup in a bigger case to improve the temps.

If you want additional eye candy with 4-5 fps loss try crysis natural mod. The mod tweaks some lightening and shader settings for more realistic look. Also here is extreme quality mod, but I suggest that you try the natural mod first b/c it's been around for a while now and better tweaked. Not that crysis does not look insane already but I'm sure this will just add a cake with icing on top of a cake :)

If you want additional eye candy with 4-5 fps loss try crysis natural mod. The mod tweaks some lightening and shader settings for more realistic look. Also here is extreme quality mod, but I suggest that you try the natural mod first b/c it's been around for a while now and better tweaked. Not that crysis does not look insane already but I'm sure this will just add a cake with icing on top of a cake :)

Thanks! I've used a couple of other mods but not this one, I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for all your input heatlesssun. I went ahead and ordered 2- gtx280s today to keep my step up gtx280 some company.

Thanks for all your input heatlesssun. I went ahead and ordered 2- gtx280s today to keep my step up gtx280 some company.

This review also partially convinced me to try (dual) SLI GTX 280. My reaction: Wow.

I didn't like SLI 8800GT a whole lot once I started to notice microstuttering. However, so far I'm happy with the GTX 280s. Do they microstutter? Yes, a little bit, but microstuttering down into the 20s at 1080p Very High Crysis is still very playable, and only somewhat noticeable (for me, at least); G92 cards will microstutter down into the teens or worse at those settings.

FWIW, for me, my original GTX 280 (bought on launch day) didn't like being in SLI when on top of the new, second card; major artifacting occurred once the top card reached 90+ C (topped out at 95 C). Swapping the order of the cards solved the problem; the new top card maxed out at 88 C, and the bottom at ~80 C.

I was running 729/1458/2780 clocks with a single GTX 280, but lowered them a bit to 702/1458/2700 in SLI. I could probably go a bit higher on the core and memory, but the gains would be minimal.

After putting up with the 9800gx2 since launch, im sure that the micro stutters that sli may bring will be more tolerable. So you were able to get those clocks with vanilla cards ?

This review also partially convinced me to try (dual) SLI GTX 280. My reaction: Wow.

I didn't like SLI 8800GT a whole lot once I started to notice microstuttering. However, so far I'm happy with the GTX 280s. Do they microstutter? Yes, a little bit, but microstuttering down into the 20s at 1080p Very High Crysis is still very playable, and only somewhat noticeable (for me, at least); G92 cards will microstutter down into the teens or worse at those settings.

FWIW, for me, my original GTX 280 (bought on launch day) didn't like being in SLI when on top of the new, second card; major artifacting occurred once the top card reached 90+ C (topped out at 95 C). Swapping the order of the cards solved the problem; the new top card maxed out at 88 C, and the bottom at ~80 C.

I was running 729/1458/2780 clocks with a single GTX 280, but lowered them a bit to 702/1458/2700 in SLI. I could probably go a bit higher on the core and memory, but the gains would be minimal.

Great clocks! I've only gone to 660/1420/1150 with mine, there's just not much reason to higher for real performance gains with three at only 1920x1200.

After putting up with the 9800gx2 since launch, im sure that the micro stutters that sli may bring will be more tolerable. So you were able to get those clocks with vanilla cards ?

No, I started with EVGA's FTW cards @ 670/1458/2430 effective (given the base price of the GTX 280, I don't mind paying the premium for the guaranteed overclock). However, I wouldn't be surprised if many vanilla cards could hit ~700/1400/2500 (effective).

I tried running that same 1650x1050 very high 16q aa test but i only managed 38fps while he acheived 58 fps :confused:. What results do you get heatlesssun ?

you get a little more min fps in crysis with 8 gigs of ram FYI
with ddr3 though, that gets really expensive.

I tried running that same 1650x1050 very high 16q aa test but i only managed 38fps while he acheived 58 fps :confused:. What results do you get heatlesssun ?

Yah, be careful, fan boy exaggeration is strong in this thread. :D

Back