ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB $145 AC/AR @ Newegg

all of these deals on the 4850 but nothing on the 4870..

I just entered the promo code just to check it out and it does work. 187.68 after tax for me.

going to wait for deals on the 4870 though.

im very much not into MIR's.... cool deal though (antec rebate took 5 months to get sent back off to me.)

bit on one; probably dont even need it right now and prices may be dropping more soon as well; oh well

I wont touch MIR with a 10' pole so not really a good deal *for me.

I've gotten every MIR I've sent in... sooo yea... it's a good deal for other people :D

The only one I haven't seen yet is a Xigamtek one for $5... lawl... but I sent that back like late may/early June so I'm not worried...

This is tempting... my GTS 320 is pretty weak for 1920 x 1200... :eek:

Very tempting...could use the higher resolutions, it should beat my 8800GTS 640MB, add DX10.1 compatibility, HDMI, and H.264 decoding, and I should be able to sell the old card to make up for some of the difference.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the high GPU temps I'm hearing about with these cards. I've heard with the stock cooler, some of them are running 80C at idle. I'd like to see a two-slot model.

The main problem is a bug with the fan I believe... it's a quick fix but the stock cooler isn't too amazing.

Sounds like the same shit that the 8800 GT had when ti first came out...

Very tempting...could use the higher resolutions, it should beat my 8800GTS 640MB, add DX10.1 compatibility, HDMI, and H.264 decoding, and I should be able to sell the old card to make up for some of the difference.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the high GPU temps I'm hearing about with these cards. I've heard with the stock cooler, some of them are running 80C at idle. I'd like to see a two-slot model.

there are a few different fixes for the heat issue already; just browse around the forums. I am thinking of getting a second one for x-fire, but cannot use the code twice. maybe will just get the combo and sell the mobo off

there are a few different fixes for the heat issue already; just browse around the forums. I am thinking of getting a second one for x-fire, but cannot use the code twice. maybe will just get the combo and sell the mobo off

Apparently the ASUS rebate can be used twice however; it says "limit two per household".

I don't game enough to justify two, and my max resolution is 1920x1200 (which the card should be able to handle in most situations, and probably 1680x1050 for the rest, which is fine). Hopefully, the fixes I have seen on the forums don't raise the fan noise too loud. One wouldn't save much money by buying a 4850 with rebate and discount, only to have to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I pulled the trigger. I should be able to fetch some of the money back by selling the 8800GTS, and honestly, I'm glad to be back in the ATI camp again. I've had better luck with their products than nVidia's over the past five years, but they needed a competitive product. Nice to see they have two of them again.

Don't worry too much about the heat since this is the Asus model. It comes with a fan controler software and with the fan at 50% (not retardedly loud like 60%) it keeps the card right at 62C after playing wow for hours on end maxed out with 60fps in shat at 1920x1200 res. I came from the 640mb in my sig and was pleasantly suprised.

Apparently the ASUS rebate can be used twice however; it says "limit two per household".

I don't game enough to justify two, and my max resolution is 1920x1200 (which the card should be able to handle in most situations, and probably 1680x1050 for the rest, which is fine). Hopefully, the fixes I have seen on the forums don't raise the fan noise too loud. One wouldn't save much money by buying a 4850 with rebate and discount, only to have to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I pulled the trigger. I should be able to fetch some of the money back by selling the 8800GTS, and honestly, I'm glad to be back in the ATI camp again. I've had better luck with their products than nVidia's over the past five years, but they needed a competitive product. Nice to see they have two of them again.

I was talking about using the $20 coupon twice; I saw that you can use 2 for the asus rebate. glad to see you pulled the trigger though. I think its a pretty good deal even though it has the rebate. hopefully the cooling issue will ne lead to an after market cooler. i think there is just an adjustment to the stock fan. Hopefully that doesnt mean it will be loud as you said; I hate that whining of the gpu fans

I was talking about using the $20 coupon twice; I saw that you can use 2 for the asus rebate. glad to see you pulled the trigger though. I think its a pretty good deal even though it has the rebate. hopefully the cooling issue will ne lead to an after market cooler. i think there is just an adjustment to the stock fan. Hopefully that doesnt mean it will be loud as you said; I hate that whining of the gpu fans

Yeah, I know you meant the coupon. At least ASUS is throwing a bone to Crossfire users, though, by allowing two rebates.

As for cooling noise, there are some forum threads out there about tuning the fan speed via XML file in Catalyst Control Center. The consensus seems to be that between 35%-50% will drastically lower the GPU temps without too much noise increase; at 65% things get loud. I'll probably tweak mine for 35-40% once I've got it installed.

I finally ordered Orange Box, since Fry's had a sale that put it at a reasonable price this weekend. Dated, I know, but I'll enjoy running Episode 2 at 1920x1200 with most of the goodies turned on; it'll be a good way to break in the card.

EDIT: I just realized I have a used Zalman VF-900Cu lying around. I wonder if it might be compatible, but I'll try things with the stock cooler first.

Don't worry too much about the heat since this is the Asus model. It comes with a fan controler software and with the fan at 50% (not retardedly loud like 60%) it keeps the card right at 62C after playing wow for hours on end maxed out with 60fps in shat at 1920x1200 res. I came from the 640mb in my sig and was pleasantly suprised.

WoW temps are /not/ proper load temps; not even close. Please do not report them as such. WoW is, graphically, far from demanding.

Still, how can anyone realistically determine the "threshold" temps for a graphics card...

8800 GT's ran hot as hell when they first came out, and had fan problems too, people just realized they ran hot.

Same stuff with the 4850... meh... Single-slot cooling is always going to be meh...

Damn. Oh well, hopefully they'll come out with another deal tomorrow.

Back