Ati 4870X2 Defeats MicroStuttering

Sounds good then. I hope this card will wipe the floor with all the cards that have been recently released. And 2GB of GDDR5 memory sounds hot too.

I'm returning my 4870 to Best Buy this weekend and holding out for one of those bad boys :D

What is all this Microstuddering stuff. Is it limited to ATI cards? I have never heard of it or seen it before.

What is all this Microstuddering stuff. Is it limited to ATI cards? I have never heard of it or seen it before.

See http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317582 .

This is good news about the 4870x2. Given anecdotal reports about microstuttering being far less prevalent in the GT200 series, too, I'm now more open about returning to a dual GPU solution some time in the future. I'll probably wait for both the 4870x2 and the 55nm GT200b refresh.

After seeing it firsthand with the 9800GX2 in warcraft3, CS1.6, AgeofConan, WiC and SupCom.. i swore off SLI/x-Fire until they had that fixed.

So yeah.. looking good ATi ;)

The does exist for CF and SLI. I've seen it even with my 3x SLI GTX 280's in CoD4, however changing a profile setting clear it up. I've never had a CF setup so I don't know about it.

SLI has had plenty of issue for me in the past and microstuttering was just low on the list of problems. Bad support, instability, crashes, BSOD, but so far not this setup. I think that this is one of those issue that's probably blown out of proportion.

Bad support, instability, crashes, BSOD, but so far not this setup. .

Bad support was the worse for me. Talking with some game devs.. if SLI isn't supported fully in the game profiles or nvidia didn't do a good job, there won't be a performance gain or minimal at best. There were some games i actually disabled SLi and it ran better :|

for that though, i guess you just have to give those things time. Just sucks is all, when you pay a price premium for SLI, and for it to have minimal increases over the single solution.

If this is true and AMD really did design the GPU with multi GPU solution in mind, I think that the next generation of ATI card could be a card using multiple chips (4 GPUs?) from the die shrink of the RV770.

SLI has had plenty of issue for me in the past and microstuttering was just low on the list of problems. Bad support, instability, crashes, BSOD, but so far not this setup. I think that this is one of those issue that's probably blown out of proportion.

Perhaps so, but then again some people are more annoyed by it than others. :)

I think that this is one of those issue that's probably blown out of proportion.

you're absolutely right about that. it really takes a perfect storm of circumstances to bring the problem out; games settings, resolutions, the use of various transparency anti aliasing methods, and quite possibly cpu clock speed as well.

The does exist for CF and SLI. I've seen it even with my 3x SLI GTX 280's in CoD4, however changing a profile setting clear it up. I've never had a CF setup so I don't know about it.

i been calling Microstuttering FUD for months now....i dont see it with my SLI setup...and if it does happen i dont recognize it

think in ACTION FPS games u wont see it...thing are moving to fast... but something like a racing game where the POV doesnt 360....maybe its more apparent

still FUD to me... but glad to hear its eradicated

i been calling Microstuttering FUD for months now....i dont see it with my SLI setup...and if it does happen i dont recognize it

think in ACTION FPS games u wont see it...thing are moving to fast... but something like a racing game where the POV doesnt 360....maybe its more apparent

still FUD to me... but glad to hear its eradicated

it can happen in any game. i only play shooters and see it across five systems with every single one of them on some type of multi gpu setup. and alluding to my previous post, a number of factors need to come together before you see it on the screen.

With this news, its settled I'm getting it as long as it does good on actual gameplay benchmarks.

All this news, but at the end of the day, the card is not sitting in my hands.. :(

Ah hell, guess I'll be returning my 2x4870's I got for crossfire...

The 4870x2 has larger memory bandwidth, 2gb total (2x1), and an improved crossfire bridge between it's 2 cards? I don't see why you wouldn't get one of these instead of 2 4870's

Edit: Actually the bandwidth may have been a rumor, it still seems to be an overall improvement compared to crossfire..

Eh, I'm happy with my 4870 thank you :p

Double the heat, a longer wait for a waterblock and double the price... Nah.

i have had 6800gt sli, 7800gt sli, 7900gt sli, 7900gto sli, 8800gts 640 sli, 8800gt sli, 8800gts 512 sli, 9600gt sli , 9800gx2 quad sli and now have 9800gt sli and 4870 crossfire and have never seen it (micro-stuttering). my eyes arent too tough but i only need glasses to read. it could be what the other guy said, i usually play fps and stuff is going by too fast to notice.

No microstuttering on my 8800 GTX SLI setup. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

U have severe Microstuttering because u have been told u have it. Period

Dont matter that you dont see it... do u see gravity or the wind.. no but its there

make sense? if u dont see microstuttering doest mean its not there making it impossible to play your games

( this post is sacrastic.... microstuttering is the biggest FUD In 2008 )

Ugh. Just b/c you or few others claim to have never experienced it doesnt mean its not there.

Take this vid for example.

Watch what happens when he's in the jungle. See how the game becomes all jerky even tho the fps counter isnt showing a drop? Thats micro stutter.

Or you can just search for "micro stuttering" and read the testimonies from all the ppl who experienced it first hand. I dont think they have much reason to make up fud.

The 4870x2 has larger memory bandwidth, 2gb total (2x1), and an improved crossfire bridge between it's 2 cards?
That extra VRAM isn't of any benefit. It's simply necessary to double the amount of memory to get one gig of storage space for buffers and texture data with SLi and Crossfire.

microstuttering is the biggest FUD on 08
So you keep saying.

To put it plainly: the evidence is there for those who have an interest. Your relentlessly dismissive attitude toward it isn't going to help sell any more AMD products (that is your goal, right?)

EDIT: GPU "Microstuttering" FAQ

U have severe Microstuttering because u have been told u have it. Period

Dont matter that you dont see it... do u see gravity or the wind.. no but its there

make sense? if u dont see microstuttering doest mean its not there making it impossible to play your games

( this post is sacrastic.... microstuttering is the biggest FUD In 2008 )

I kinda have to agree here. On my sig rig, even with the dated x2, I don't have ANY micro stuttering at all. I don't know where all this came from. Maybe on dual GPU cards like the GX2 and x2's the FPS are all over the place, and that causes games to become choppy?

It exists, but blown way out of proportion.
There's always something that tends to get blown out of proportion with each generation. With the 7800, it was shimmering, which I really never believed was that big a deal until I got my 8800 (and found out what anisotropic filtering really is). For the X800, it was the lack of SM3.0 support, which didn't turn out to be a problem until BioShock -- some three years later.

Still, you don't go running around trying to sweep this kind of shit under the rug. If it's there, and if it's a potential problem, then you shine the light on it.

people who can't tell the difference between 30 and 50 fps saying they think microstuttering is fud.... of course if the FPS is high enough there won't be jerkyness... but you need a higher FPS with dual gpu systems to get the same smoothness

compare a dual gpu set up to a single gpu with both running close to the same FPS and you will see that the single gpu looks much nicer much of the time

this is what I hear from some people "I don't understand general relativity and I don't see it therefore it is FUD!"

not to mention this isn't the only issue .. watch the 4870x2 have a display lag mountain...

Back