45nm Phenom X4 OC’d To 3.4GHz

HardOCP News

[H] News
Since I can’t read Chinese and translation services only make things worse, I’ll just give you guys a link to the site and a screenshot and let you figure out what is going on here. The CPU-Z screens show a 45nm processor running at 2.2GHz all the way up to 3.4GHz. Thanks to Dave A. for the linkage.

1.568vcore :eek:

Nice overclock, but I bet that sucker's pretty warm.

55% or 1.2GHz OC on a MSI mobo, really impressive :D

2.2GHz to 3.4GHz on a MSI mobo with RD790 + SB600, probably a K9A2 Platinum or K9A2 CF.

It's not bad, but at that Vcore it isn't useable.

I really hope AMD can be much more competitive with Denab, because Intel is going to have no reason to price the Nehalem chips reasonably if AMD is still asleep at the wheel.

This early info, doesn't get my hopes up much though.

Well, if the Phenom had *launched* at 3.4 GHz, with sensible power consumption and at a reasonably price, it would have been very interesting even with the lower IPC.

The 45nm Phenom will go up against Intels Nehalem @ ~3 GHz.. it would have to run at 4 GHz to match it.

please..... please......

We need another Intel killer to get the prices back to earth!

there is a site with super pi scores screen shots at 3.4 giglehurts scores 20 sec for 1m calculations. i don't see the gap between amd and intel widening that much. LOOK at amd's original phenom numbers and the actual ones. not to mention tripple channel is worthless right now i don't see too many mem manufactures or oem's that will be willing to toss in the extra cost of another stick of ram for free so the tri-channel controller can be used. Also due to intels leaked manufacturing plans most of the next gen intel will not matter till 09 anyways. the reason is cause most of the parts will be geared towards servers to top that off if intel drops it now it kills the current gen 45nm sales tic/toc is a great idea but ultimately useless for making money.

Too bad that AMD is only shipping 2.8GHz Deneb in "late Q4'08, early 2009" and not some suicide volted, overclocked 3.4GHz chip. Sorry, Nehalem will be out by then and the gap will have widened yet again.

The $1k Nehalem will be out in late November, but anything affordable won't be out for a while after that

A long while at that have you seen intels manufacturing schedule the Nehalem that will be cheep is still about a year off why cause intel is still dropping new Prynn chippery why would they do that if they where just going to canalize sales with the Nehalem drop. they are in a superior position right now and they really don't want amd to fail.

Engineering sample, the CPUz voltage reading is probably off.

If its at a reasonable voltage, then that is not bad.... maybe $250 list price?

Just what AMD needs. A higher level of exciting processors will help AMD a lot to keep afloat. AMD needs to continue this trend throughout its processor line.

Looks to be an older rev. The revision field in CPU-Z contains two letters and a rev number. The two letters are abbreviations of the internal engineering codename. I of course can't say what the full names are, but abbreviation for 65nm Barcelona/Phenom is GR, and 45nm is RB, and RevG K8 is BH (all can ben seen on CPU-Z).

Now if AMD could manage to sell a 3.4ghz 45nm QC, even at the 140w TDP, and price it right, and it comes out right the first time, they could stand to profit off of it. Time is of the essence, looking at how fast their current 65nm parts have been ramping in frequency, this seems to be a pipe dream.

I like that the overall AMD spi1m WR was almost beaten by an air cooled engineering sample:D

I wish I had a 790fx board so I could try my 65nm phenom ES (1.6ghz stock), just to compare some numbers...:(

Did i mention that in increase of clock @ my place performance doesnt increase with same % per clock.

Its getting better and better (performance per mhz) the higher i clock.

might just be OS related or alike...

or is it the HT stuff that really get to work @ faster speeds ? really dont know. my performance is more than enough @ 3 ghz stock cooling(working on build in with my watercooling.)

The $1k Nehalem will be out in late November, but anything affordable won't be out for a while after that

True. AMD doesn't need to own the performance crown and the $800+ CPU market to remain competitive.. They only need to have viable alternatives to Intel @ $100 to $300, really. Sadly, they currently don't even have that market covered very well...

if AMD can get within the ball park of INTEL and a good price... will jump back to them jsut because they need every cent than can get.... i could live with a a 10 - 15% speed gap for the sake of keeping AMD going.... not like u can really see the difference

if that was a stock Mhz, stock voltage on a chip that was shipping right now, then AMD would be doing fine.

3.4 Phenom vs. 3.0Ghz Q9650 would be good enough to stay in the game.

But considering Intel's 45nm quads have been hitting 4Ghz OC'd with that voltage or less for months I'm not too impressed.

if that was a stock Mhz, stock voltage on a chip that was shipping right now, then AMD would be doing fine.

3.4 Phenom vs. 3.0Ghz Q9650 would be good enough to stay in the game.

But considering Intel's 45nm quads have been hitting 4Ghz OC'd with that voltage or less for months I'm not too impressed.

I have heard that Nehlems are locked down for overclocking and only the premium versions will also it. Whether it is true or not that is another story, but I can see the happening.

Multiplier locked or something else? Even if it were multiplier locked you would still be able to raise the FSB.

I have heard that Nehlems are locked down for overclocking and only the premium versions will also it. Whether it is true or not that is another story, but I can see the happening.

If the Wolfdales degenerate at 45nm, then maybe these 32nm chips are even worse - which may explain why they want to lock the chips. No reason to give them more voltage when you can't raise the frequency:rolleyes:

At least level 3 cache is boosted all the way up to 6mbs, compared to the current phenom l3 cache of 2mbs. That might make the phenom more comparable to core 2 quad speeds, clock for clock.

I know people want AMD/Intel to compete...but eesh, the prices for performance are very good right now, especially in the middle to budget range. They are competing. I have NEVER seen so many ponies for so few dollars. A quad core that OC's to 3 GHz for sub $200 isn't good? Guess there is no pleasing some people. Probably the same people that would turn down a free blow job because the chick wouldn't swallow.

Back