And so it begins....

tedkj

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2008
hard280.JPG

snip.jpg

All 8 cards are UP and running!

The quad-box I'll leave offline when I'm gone due to the crazy piezo-eletric noise it makes. The 4 other cards are sitting in pairs folding nicely. About 14PpD for each box.

The quad-box stabilized at about 29200PpD with shaders at 1380MHz (didn't try to push the OC. Anyone know the normal roof on these 280's?)

I'll start packing now and dive in early.. gonna take off tomorrow and be gone for about a week. Fold on hard while I'm gone! I'll check in from now and then.

Oh, do PM me if you find a nice deal for a new GiveOut!

Thanks, take care all! :)

(excuse the crappy quality - blame Apple!)

thats like 2500 dollars worth of video cards man I dont even know what to say

also could someone help me get the nifty tag for my folding stats thx i looked at the page but was confused yeah im a fucking noob

That is like 65+k ppd right there....not to mention what all the cpu's would be doing too with some SMP clients. I just got to say :eek: again.

when he says more to come does he mean, more nvidia 280's or more specs on the computer?

:eek::eek::eek:
WTF noob !! ;) You are about to suddenly appear on everyone's threat list. :D Freaking nice stuff there and your enthusiasm is much appreciated around here as well as your huge contribution to the science. I'm in awe.

SWEEEET!

That's my weekly ouput + sitting right there. :p:D Very nice!

Now that you made coffee shoot out my nose... get them puppies folding. I wanna hear the 'roos whining about that didn't happen either. :rolleyes:

also could someone help me get the nifty tag for my folding stats thx i looked at the page but was confused yeah im a fucking noob

Go to your stats page on hardfolding.com
choose a color at the bottom of the page
copy the text from the area that says "Copy and paste into message body code"
then paste it right into your message
that's it

looks just like this

workin?

looks like it, how do I get it so its always in my message without having to copy it in there each time just wondering.

Also just got a 9600 gt 512 mb card today and its SO Much faster then my 3.0 ghz P4

im so jealous but not that much, my new card just looked at it does more in the last hour then my CPU usually does in a day so so sad god i need a new machine

Wow! That's freakin' amazing.

So did ya win the lottery, tedkj? Between that pile of 280s and the free 8800GT giveaways, that's some serious investment into Folding and the [H].

The mowed over club is gonna need to start buying beer and tamales in bulk...

That is....

Well....it's beautiful.

The sensual bend of the [H] as it hugs the boxes.
The counterpoint of the soft curve of paper against harsh box corners.
The caged harem of GPUs, begging to be used.

Some issues right of the bat;

I can't for the life of me get the Vista to span the views over all 4 GTX's (let alone 2). My VGA-dummy (a DVI-M->VGA-F->Ohm) doesn't work on these, however it works perfect on my mainrig with an ATi 4870...

Also, the cards really get hot as they block each others air intake, but I got that somewhat fixed with 4x Delta fans running of 220V.

I'll ponder some more, test out some stuff and get back soon.. :)

That needs to be on the front page!!!!!

GPU folding extraordinaire!

holy shit dude

you guys are really diving into that GPU client lol

Updated with progress so far.. I've run into a problem with the vga dummies etc, anyone got a clue what could cause this or if I should just switch to XP?

I did a quick search for VGA Dummy, found a link or two on how to build them: Resistors on proper pins to fake a monitor connection. In case you want to double check your resistor location (definitely could be causing a problem)

If you can, I would suggest trying each dummy on each card to make sure every part works in single.

Found a forum where each time someone spoke about running a Quad Nvidia setup, they mentioned the dummies, some issues, and always were running Vista. Following up the post with if they should be running XP or not.

I will see if I can keep searchin, maybe find a guide, FAQ, or another forum or something.

Good luck, have fun on vacation!

I did a quick search for VGA Dummy, found a link or two on how to build them: Resistors on proper pins to fake a monitor connection. In case you want to double check your resistor location (definitely could be causing a problem)

If you can, I would suggest trying each dummy on each card to make sure every part works in single.

Found a forum where each time someone spoke about running a Quad Nvidia setup, they mentioned the dummies, some issues, and always were running Vista. Following up the post with if they should be running XP or not.

I will see if I can keep searchin, maybe find a guide, FAQ, or another forum or something.

Good luck, have fun on vacation!

Thanks Sham, but the dummies are all good. They work on my other rig and cards without issues. From what I gather, there is a lot lower CPU usage when running GPU clients in Vista versus XP, but I'm not going to SMP this anyways, so if someone could give me a informed 'guess' wether or not I could feed all 4 GPU's in XP, I'd switch over in a jiffey!

OCAU folders are successful with multiple GPUs assigned to the same core in XP. It seems to register using 100% but it doesn't really use 100% ?? No idea but they are doing it, and it works.

If it's a quad you can obviously assign the new GPU client to a specific core and each will have it's own.

Given that info a dual or quad could easily feed 4 GPUs.

OCAU folders are successful with multiple GPUs assigned to the same core in XP. It seems to register using 100% but it doesn't really use 100% ?? No idea but they are doing it, and it works.

If it's a quad you can obviously assign the new GPU client to a specific core and each will have it's own.

Given that info a dual or quad could easily feed 4 GPUs.

Got it to work! Switched 75 Ohm resistors for 100 and snap! ;D

Good to know. Some cards may require that.
I'll post it in the GPU guide. Thanks.

XP: If you're running a C2Q, then you should be able to feed all of those GPUs. If you're running a C2D, you'll probably be choking at the CPU level.

Vista: You could probably feed all 4 with one core (maybe 1.25 or 1.5). My CPU usage with JUST the GPU client running is10-15% for one core with an 8800GTX.

Are the PSU's connected using a dual 24 pin adapter? Is the second PSU starting up correctly and providing power at bootup to the 3rd and 4th GPU?

Are the PSU's connected using a dual 24 pin adapter? Is the second PSU starting up correctly and providing power at bootup to the 3rd and 4th GPU?

I just used the PSU to test. The 2nd PSU is connected directly to two of the cards, using a short on pin 13/14 on the 24pin con.

Got it working now, but I guess I need the 1.07 GPU2 core, and the link in the guide is broken. Anyone got a link for it? Thanks! :)

can i be your friend? lol

maybe i could borrow one or four of those to test some PSU's? :D

You got all 4 to work? Awesome!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

They seem to be working now yeah. Fahmon reports the following;

GPU1; 8682 PpD
GPU2: 6427 PpD
GPU3: 2850 PpD
GPU4: 7358 PpD

No idea what's up with GPU3, but I had Affinity Changer running, so I stopped that and reset affinities. Will see how it settles soon. I'm running it on a Phenom 9950 @ 2.8GHz, seems to be using 100% CPU in Vista (x86) now.

One thing tho, I could only get a 1000W CoolerMaster PSU. The draw from my socket is 785W now, so should be some headroom for it to function, however it's making VERY weird oscillation sounds when I fire up all 4 GPUs (even with 2 it oscillates).

I'm not 100% sure I'll dare leave it running like that when I'm gone tho.. lol :eek:

I'm such a moron -- somehow I managed to fire up SMP also.. *geez*

GPU1; 8147 PpD
GPU2: 8143 PpD
GPU3: 7812 PpD
GPU4: 7594 PpD

seems to be working better now, all shaders @ 1380MHz / CPU @ 15-20% usage.

Holy fucking hell.

If you don't already have genmay access, I'd get ready with the acceptance speech.

Back