Linus Calls OpenBSD Crowd “Masturbating Monkeys”

HardOCP News

[H] News
Quote of the day goes to Linus Torvalds for his “I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys comment yesterday. While Mr. Torvalds has a valid point, it is the imagery that makes you cringe a little.

Security people are often the black-and-white kind of people that I can't stand. I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.

Mac fan boy aren't far behind. Whether that's due to the BSD lineage or just Mac fanboys being fanboys is for another debate.

That was awesome. I think I'll forward that to our security group which by the way are Linux nerds. No issue with them using the free software, but I know they all respect Torvalds. Interesting to note too that they think they're speial too. In companies such a focus is on security its treated as special. Better pay with far less work, and an attitude they're more important. It is interesting to note that when there are problems who gets called for real.

Linus is right. Security is great, but if your OS sucks because of bugs there are other things that are important to look at.

MS found this out with Vista. They focused on increasing security and released a craptacular OS.

I have used BSD for 10+ years @ work.

The namecalling is uncalled for. To be honest, BSD license is much better than GPL, especially for business. Development philosophy is quite different.

"The namecalling is uncalled for"

It's not namecalling. It's metaphor.

There are times when great people suffer from "diarrhea of the mouth" syndrome. The OpenBSD crowd should be concerned about security more than anything because that is their primary focus. Most systems that are OpenBSD are either firewalls, or systems that live in a DMZ. There are distributions of Linux that are just as concerned about security as OpenBSD (Engarde and Redhat are just two that I can recall of the top of my head). I wonder if he feels the same about the NSA (the people who created SELinux). Linus is lucky that he has friends (the NSA) looking out for the security of his operating system, cause apparently he could care less.

I've never had a problem with general software bugs in OpenBSD. The problem I saw was that it's a little outdated and doesn't quite take advantage of your hardware as well as FreeBSD would. OpenBSD would make a great firewall and DNS server, but if you are running Samba on a large network, I'd go with FreeBSD for more features and performance. Besides, even with the relatively few security updates for FreeBSD in the last year, not one of the security issues were applicable to the Samba server that I had set up.

There are times when great people suffer from "diarrhea of the mouth" syndrome. The OpenBSD crowd should be concerned about security more than anything because that is their primary focus. Most systems that are OpenBSD are either firewalls, or systems that live in a DMZ. There are distributions of Linux that are just as concerned about security as OpenBSD (Engarde and Redhat are just two that I can recall of the top of my head). I wonder if he feels the same about the NSA (the people who created SELinux). Linus is lucky that he has friends (the NSA) looking out for the security of his operating system, cause apparently he could care less.

You are missing Linus' point. He isn't saying that security isn't important, he is simply stating that it isn't MORE important than any other flaw in the OS. He is, of course, completely correct. A constantly hardlocking OS that has flawless security is no better than a stable OS that is riddled with security holes (at least the stable one could be used on an offline box)

The dude needs to get over himself.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. He simply stated his opinion on a linux kernel mailing list (which others then came along and made news out of it). That would be like me telling you to get "over over yourself" because you made a post in a forum :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. He simply stated his opinion on a linux kernel mailing list (which others then came along and made news out of it). That would be like me telling you to get "over over yourself" because you made a post in a forum :rolleyes:

Personally, and yes you could tell me to get over myself, I think he has the biggest ego out of everyone I've met (and yes, I have met him). There's nothing wrong with that to a point, but I don't think he deserves half the acclaim he gives himself (though I will be the first to admit that Linux is a great creation).

Focus on security isn't any good if it isn't implemented, this is where the majority of "security" trained IT staff come into play. I would never take a consultant either. I'm not saying it's more important, but that generally is why they make more.

I'm a user of both OpenBSD and Linux, and I will say that they both have strengths. I'm in agreement with MavMange though in that OpenBSD isn't a jack of all trades kind of OS, but for some tasks it's just perfect for. If any of you hear use m0n0wall or pfSense you are using software (particularly PF, CARP, pfsync) that the OpenBSD developers worked hard on and developed themselves.

Also, if you have ever used OpenSSH you have them to thank as well, since that's also an OpenBSD project and every Linux distro I have ever seen includes OpenSSH.

Linus is right. Security is great, but if your OS sucks because of bugs there are other things that are important to look at.

MS found this out with Vista. They focused on increasing security and released a craptacular OS.

What is craptacular about Vista? Vista SP1 is IMO much much better than XP SP2 at this point. Yeah it had problems for the first 16 months or so but SP1 fixed almost all of my issues with it.

masturbating monkeys masturbating with poo that they throw at you. 2 monkeys, 1 cup - it makes me want to throw up. Shitting everywhere, you almost want to stare, but you realize the disgust and thus you can't trust...

the freeBSD masturbating monkeys.

I'm not sure about monkeys, but if bonobos wrote secure code, frequent masturbation would be expected. So, Beating Bonobos?

"I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them."

I think this is a real crappy statement and can't believe it was made. Who is he to bash on OpenBSD's focus? There is nothing wrong at all for a project to focus on security. Every single project generally has some type of focus... who chooses what focus is worthy or not? And saying OpenBSD cards about nothing else? Obviously this is not true. Just dumb and now I'm bugged that we're all commenting on some stupid comment that is obviously flawed like it matters. >:|

What I really thing is a bunch of masturbating monkeys is that whole open-source crowed, in that they make such a big deal about open-source to the point they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.

And actually I've found this to be much more true as I know some really annoying people who will suggest Linux (or any open source solution) over Windows no matter what. Doesn't matter if its stupidly impractical, Linux is just magically better and thus the only possible solution.

Damn masturbating monkeys.

Linus is, as usual, running his ignorant mouth off when he should grow up already. Linux zealots are far, far worse than OpenBSD's security focus. Nothing like a crowd that will go absolutely berzerker over the fact that you own something made by "MICR0$0FT!!$*@$" Or a bunch of programmers with the most severe ADD I've ever seen, who think it's more important to reinvent the wheel than to finish code, or stabilize existing code.

But you know, I've only been involved in Linux since '94, BSD since '95, and Open Source in general since '93. And I'm just a Systems Administrator with Unix and Storage specialization. So what would I know about Linus mouthing off? I mean, beside that he should shut the hell up and go back to coding, just like Theo, Matt, and whoever's got RE hat now since I can't be bothered to look.

Linus is, as usual, running his ignorant mouth off when he should grow up already. Linux zealots are far, far worse than OpenBSD's security focus. Nothing like a crowd that will go absolutely berzerker over the fact that you own something made by "MICR0$0FT!!$*@$" Or a bunch of programmers with the most severe ADD I've ever seen, who think it's more important to reinvent the wheel than to finish code, or stabilize existing code.

But you know, I've only been involved in Linux since '94, BSD since '95, and Open Source in general since '93. And I'm just a Systems Administrator with Unix and Storage specialization. So what would I know about Linus mouthing off? I mean, beside that he should shut the hell up and go back to coding, just like Theo, Matt, and whoever's got RE hat now since I can't be bothered to look.

Yeah well, ive had to work with one of those OBSD masturbating Monkeys for 7 years now. Actually i do like the guy a lot, but seriously, the air of arrogance surrounding his views of OBSD vs anything else still make me want to perform a tracheotomy with a plastic fork sometimes.
Mac people are just as bad. Linux folk can be bad, but ive yet to see any group match the level of OBSD.

You completely missed the point. Linus wasn't talking about BSD zealotry. He's talking about the fact that security is pretty much all they focus on, leaving everything else shoddy. Linux zealotry however is simply that: all talk.

After all, BSD *is* very secured. But thats all it is! Secured. Wonderful, now give us something else.

Back