Newegg PNY GTX 280 $419.99 AR + ship

The eVGA superclocked edition can be had for $429 after MIR, which is cheaper then the regular edition with no rebate....

Now, wether a superclocked can be clocked even harder then the regular editions, I don't know, but if eVGA checks all their cards and figures out which are better performers and divides them up into the regular edition, SC edition and SSC edition, then the $10 extra dollars may be worth it. I am very tempted, but gonna wait till it falls to $400 or lower without rebate....or next week if its $400 after rebate.

A terrific price but I mean who is actually gonna buy the card based on the price drops of the last few days? I mean its a fair price but seeing as prices for the gtx280 are dropping like crazy, I doubt anyone is gonna bite right now. The early buyers already purchased their gtx280 so I am sure the only people who are left are those looking for a deal and I bet many of us will continue to wait for ati price drops or for the gtx280 to drop even further.

A terrific price but I mean who is actually gonna buy the card based on the price drops of the last few days? I mean its a fair price but seeing as prices for the gtx280 are dropping like crazy, I doubt anyone is gonna bite right now. The early buyers already purchased their gtx280 so I am sure the only people who are left are those looking for a deal and I bet many of us will continue to wait for ati price drops or for the gtx280 to drop even further.

A lot of people...the chances of it dropping much more are slim until the 4870 X2 comes out.

That is just my opinion though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133228

The EVGA one is the same deal but they took down the rebate. I have the rebate saved and it says it's good through the end of July.

GTX 280 for $420 is pretty damn sweet IMO.

The rebate on the EVGA card is still good. Just cause newegg removed the link doesn't mean anything. In the details of the rebate, the same rebate as all the other cards. The regular evga model number is in there. Therefore EVGA should have no problem honoring it.

Great price for a 280.

Man, i wonder whether prices are gonna drop when the x2 rolls around..

Very good point. This is what nVidia needs to do:

1) Set the MSRP's as follows: GTX 280 - $300 | GTX 260 - $200
2) Make a public statement about the new pricing and commit to beating the competition next round.
3) Execute like gang busters this fall, no later than early Q1 2009 and retake the crown.

$300 for a GTX 280? Come on be serious! That will not happen soon...
NVIDIA would loose much more money if the price would be $300.
Instead of selling this card at loss, maybe NVIDIA would be better off stop selling it!
IMO, $400 is a fair price for a GTX 280.

I agree that $420 AR is an extremely competitive price for a gtx280 but I mean why bite now with the prospect of the gtx280 going lower? I mean its not speculation that a 4870x2 is better than a gtx280. Its more like, how much better will a 4870x2 be over a gtx280 after it hits retails when a new BIOS will probably be implemented to hopefully deal with temps and maybe even increase its lead. Not to mention drivers that may materialize after it comes out to make it even better.

I suppose the most important argument for waiting for the 4870x2 before biting on a gtx280 is why exactly would you want to purchase a gtx280 right now? I mean other than Crysis, most games on the market can be played well with a 8800gt. Also, there isn't exactly a graphical intensive game coming out in a month or two, in fact Crysis warhead wont be here for atleast 2 more months so what is the hurry?

However $420 is a MUCH better price than the $650 at launch so its still a great deal.

I agree that $420 AR is an extremely competitive price for a gtx280 but I mean why bite now with the prospect of the gtx280 going lower? I mean its not speculation that a 4870x2 is better than a gtx280. Its more like, how much better will a 4870x2 be over a gtx280 after it hits retails when a new BIOS will probably be implemented to hopefully deal with temps and maybe even increase its lead. Not to mention drivers that may materialize after it comes out to make it even better.

I suppose the most important argument for waiting for the 4870x2 before biting on a gtx280 is why exactly would you want to purchase a gtx280 right now? I mean other than Crysis, most games on the market can be played well with a 8800gt. Also, there isn't exactly a graphical intensive game coming out in a month or two, in fact Crysis warhead wont be here for atleast 2 more months so what is the hurry?

However $420 is a MUCH better price than the $650 at launch so its still a great deal.

i completely agreeeeeeeee with your explanation. i was content with a 9600gt b4 i sold it off and went back to 7600gt .

I agree with this, especially 8800GT statement, but it's hard to be patient surrounded by all this new hardware :D. Crysis is the magic word to many people, and although i'm not hardcore Crysis player, i finally got it to look the way it looks perfect to my eyes, but on my 8800GT it runs in low teens 11-14 on those settings, so more horse power is definitely desirable here :)... But i'll still wait, at least one more month, maybe even more hopefully.

I agree with this, especially 8800GT statement, but it's hard to be patient surrounded by all this new hardware :D. Crysis is the magic word to many people, and although i'm not hardcore Crysis player, i finally got it to look the way it looks perfect to my eyes, but on my 8800GT it runs in low teens 11-14 on those settings, so more horse power is definitely desirable here :)... But i'll still wait, at least one more month, maybe even more hopefully.

I know what you mean! Ive been watching the prices of the gtx200 series and the 4800 series and the price drops are extremely hard to resist. I mean I don't think there has been such a good time to buy a good video card compared to now. I mean the prices! Especially for the performance!

However I must stay patience! Crysis warhead isnt coming till september and even then I'll definitely wait till winter to get a new video card, if at all seeing as my 8800gt is doing really well in practically all games. Granted in Crysis it isn't as good as I want but I mean warhead is coming out in a month or two and people are saying it will be better optimized meaning my performance in Crysis, which is already decent to begin with, may get better. To the point where buying a new video card isnt essential.

Back