Samsung ToC T240HD 24" monitor/HDTV

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
Is there anything inherently wrong with this monitor? I currently have a Dell 2405, so if it is at least as good as that, I will be happy. The HDTV tuner is really going to be useful in the new room. Thanks.

I recommended the 22" version of this to my brother but he decided to wait on it. It is a TN panel if that bothers you. Does not have composite or S-video inputs, only component. I have not seen one in person so all i can offer is what I have found online about it. If I needed something like this right now it would be on my short list. If you can find one in retail to look at let me know what you think.

I was looking at the T240HD for awhile, but the problem is that it's too new. There seems to be little or no information available for it.

I might be getting this soon. Its either going to be this t240hd or the t260.

ZipZoomFly Has nice prices for these monitors. About $20 more I can get the t260. The only reason I want the t240hd is for the 2nd hdmi.

Here's Newegg's list of them. Many excellent user reviews.

I just bought a T260HD from Buy.com for better prices than I have seen anywhere (same with T260).

I should get it early next week and let you guys know.

I wish I didn't have to pay taxes on Buy.com and Newegg. I'd buy from newegg for their shipping because it's so fast. I don't have to pay tax at ZZF.

If you can hook up a Sega or NES through the coax converter and see what it looks like. That is one thing that my brother wants his to do. Nothing like filling the technology generation gap.

Is the 24" a TN panel also? :( If I can find some local, I'll check this weekend. Is there any other brands for me to check? I think Viewsonic advertised a 22", but we KNOW that's TN.

judging by viewing angles and price, I would say all 4 sizes are TN panels. Viewsonic has a 22" monitor with TV tuner, but it has no DVI port, only 1 HDMI and when hooked to a computer this way would not always auto-shutoff when the PC went to standby.

Yes, these are all TN panels.

The advantage to the HD versions (ie. T220HD vs. T220) is that they are supposed to be able to do 16:9 resolutions with HD sources without stretching the image vertically to their native 16:10 aspect ratio. This is good for gaming consoles and HD sources.

What I would be really curioius about is the T220HD being able to take down a 1080p signal @ 1920x1080 resolution and downscale it to 1680x945 which is 16:9 and put black bars top and bottom.

If that is the case, this would be the first 22" that could be recommended to console owners with HDMI Xbox or PS3. Alternatively if it can do 720p properly as well I would still think it's promising.

Some people hate TN panels, but I don't. It's because of the vertical viewing angles causing color shifts when you raise or lower your head. Some are worse than others, and some are only obvious with darker colors. It's a matter of taste. It's easier to deal with for a lot of people than the horizontal color shift of MVA/PVA panels because this sometimes gives people a "cross-eyed" feeling, or a 3d look to it that makes people uncomfortable to view.

TN panels are generally great gamer panels due to low input lag and generally fast pixel response. Some new ones coming out have very good native contrast ratios, decent color accuracy and deep blacks, so it's not just the expensive stuff that is improving.

I would like to see the TOC HD series. If it's all it's cracked up to be, it should start flying off the shelves quickly.

Regards

wow, that t240hd is exactly what I've been looking for. I've already got a nice 24" MVA panel, but I want to have a second monitor (that's not too big--like a 32 would be) and a tv in my room, and this can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I just bought a T260HD from Buy.com for better prices than I have seen anywhere (same with T260).

I should get it early next week and let you guys know.

Way to go out on a limb on this one. I will be ordering mine this weekend, and will try to post some thoughts after mine is up and running as well.

Way to go out on a limb on this one. I will be ordering mine this weekend, and will try to post some thoughts after mine is up and running as well.

I just ordered the regular T260 from ZipZoomFly. It will most likely arrive next week during my vacation :D.

wow, that t240hd is exactly what I've been looking for. I've already got a nice 24" MVA panel, but I want to have a second monitor (that's not too big--like a 32 would be) and a tv in my room, and this can kill 2 birds with one stone.

That was my thinking. I actually will connect a DirecTV receiver and basic cable (since it is there) to the thing.

Just ordered the T240HD from Newegg for $479.99. Will post impressions when it gets here.

ditto, just ordered mine as well after passing up 2408wfp and the DS-263N. after much research, the only downside to this panel really seems to be the TN screen.

I do alot of work on PS3 / Xbox 360 so having the ability to switch to PC games on the fly would be awesome.

Lol - how is that even possible? TN's with more lag than even *VA panels, is downright embarassing.
Maybe there's some kind of processing still active?

I would agree, that if these numbers are correct the T240HD has the highest TN lag I've ever seen. Hopefully they are slightly inflated by at least a frame (16ms)

I do find that Digitalversus.com has slightly higher numbers than other sites though, and sometimes it does vary depending on firmware or build dates.

For example their rating on the 245T is a fair bit higher than Prad.De's rating. I use them as a benchmark to do comparisons, but not for outright numbers.

But sometimes they are dead on too. The BenQ V2400W and G2400W numbers they have are spot on with my recent input lag testing on these monitors. But, compared to the numbers I've gotten for the FP241VW, theirs are elevated by almost 300% so I owe this to different build versions, and making the assumption that BenQ updated the FP241VW with the December 07 build date vs. the March 2007 ones that they likely tested.

I've also found testing input lag under clone mode with nVidia cards can give strange numbers with Vista x64 (in my case). Port 2 was always faster even with the 174 drivers.

DigitalVersus shows this monitor has close to 50 ms of lag. Is that accurate? I wouldn't want a TN that lags. That'd be ridiculous.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=387&p1=3580&ma2=88&ph=12

Bump back to the top, any of you that were ordering these have any impressions or input lag findings?

I just received my T260HD today, so I will be setting it up when arrive home from work (after a side trip to Fry's). Hopefully will post initial impressions in a day or two. The size of the box looks promising! Just kidding, I'm just used to my beloved 2005fpw...

Well I got my T260 last Friday(25th). This monitor is so much bigger than my previous 19" 4:3. I was afraid my ATI 4870 wouldn't be able to run games at 1900x1200. But luckily the 4870 had no problem with everything that I play. As far as input lag goes I have not noticed any ghosting. Especially when playing CoD4 since that game moves very fast. Found one dead/stuck pixel. Tried to fix it but couldn't. The touch sensitive power button is kind of hard to turn off and on with. It only seems to work with my entire thumb print touching the sensitive area. Got my xbox 360 hooked up to it via VGA. Works beautifully. I was delighted that my center speaker fits really well on top of the monitor. I noticed that some text has a white shadow around it. Doesn't bother me.

Anyone need any other info about it?

img_0471544.jpg

I have the T260HD and I am VERY pleased with it. I'm using it as triple duty. My computer is hooked up to it, along with my PS3 and TV signal.

I have to say that the TV signal, especially SDTV, looks very good. Some channels are clearer than others but that it is the same with all of the other TVs in my house. As for HD channels, they look even better than on any of the other HDTVs in my house (46" 1080p Sony and 32" 720p Sony). Not sure what Samsung is doing with their tuners but I'm glad.

Using the PS3 looks spectacular. I played the Batman Begins Blu-Ray with the Dark Knight IMAX Prologue and my jaw dropped. It looked amazing. I can't wait for The Dark Knight Blu-Ray. I also played GTA4 and it looked pretty good, but not great. Although I can't fault the monitor since the color wasn't that great either on my 46" Sony Bravia LCD TV. But playing other games like GRID looked very good. Although I don't mind it too much, it seemed a little fuzzy at times. A little moreso than the 46".

As for a PC monitor, I have not experienced any of the problems some other people are having. I have the video mode set to Entertain instead of Dynamic Contrast, Internet, or Text. Dynamic Contrast tends to make colors washed out and not their true colors. But Entertain which is the brightest of them all makes everything very easy to read and bright. Text looks sharp. Everything looks like it should.

If anyone is even remotely considering watching TV through either a tv tuner card or a real TV, I would suggest getting the HD versions only because the TV signal looks VERY good. I was amazed at how good even the SD channels came in.

I've got my T240HD here running as my monitor and I've played some 360 (component input on it). Coming from a Viewsonic VX922 I haven't noticed any ghosting or delay in TF2 or COD4. My 3870 is pushing most games at 1920x1200 just fine, but no AA anymore. I'll try and gets some pics and more impressions up tomorrow. I have yet to test 480p scaling on the component input, but I will, as I plan to use this with my Wii as well.

I've got my T240HD here running as my monitor and I've played some 360 (component input on it). Coming from a Viewsonic VX922 I haven't noticed any ghosting or delay in TF2 or COD4. My 3870 is pushing most games at 1920x1200 just fine, but no AA anymore. I'll try and gets some pics and more impressions up tomorrow. I have yet to test 480p scaling on the component input, but I will, as I plan to use this with my Wii as well.

Sweet! Let me know how that goes. I'll be using it for my PS3 and Wii and would love to know how it handles 480p, from what I've read the PS3 looks amazing.

Also those of you that commented on SDTV, how exactly are you receiving it? Do I have to get all my channels over the air or can I just hook up my cable to it? I know that sort of eliminates HD content though. Can you tell me what this Tuner can do?

Here is a link to the review of the T220HD. It's not the 240HD so they knocked it a few points in some areas that wouldn't have occurred with the 24", but overall it was positive. For those of you that do have it, are you ok with the viewing angles? The review makes them look just awful. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-samsung-t220hd.html#Introduction

Sweet! Let me know how that goes. I'll be using it for my PS3 and Wii and would love to know how it handles 480p, from what I've read the PS3 looks amazing.

Also those of you that commented on SDTV, how exactly are you receiving it? Do I have to get all my channels over the air or can I just hook up my cable to it? I know that sort of eliminates HD content though. Can you tell me what this Tuner can do?

Here is a link to the review of the T220HD. It's not the 240HD so they knocked it a few points in some areas that wouldn't have occurred with the 24", but overall it was positive. For those of you that do have it, are you ok with the viewing angles? The review makes them look just awful. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-samsung-t220hd.html#Introduction

I have my cable hooked up directly from the wall. You can set it to receive either Air or Cable. It reads all the standard cable channels and the DTV cable channels as well. In my area they are only showing the local ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS in HD.

But if you are using an external HD cable box from your cable provider then you would obviously hook it up using HDMI, DVI, or Component.

Also, as for viewing angles. I am viewing it pretty much straight on and not elevated. So it looks great. But I can confirm that if you view from the bottom, it tends to become distorted and the picture turns blackish. Viewing from above makes it lighter. Side angles are fine though. This is my first TN panel so I can't really compare with anything. But its fine for my usage.

And for the person who asked about showing native 16:9 content. Yes, the scaler allows you to set it for 16:9.

I have my cable hooked up directly from the wall. You can set it to receive either Air or Cable. It reads all the standard cable channels and the DTV cable channels as well. In my area they are only showing the local ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS in HD.

I just wanted to clarify this point since I can not for the life of me find an answer online. You said it will receive all the standard cable channels, so that list would include TBS, USA, Comedy Central, TNT, Nick etc... I understand if your cable provider doesn't include some of those in the package you receive, but you catch what I'm getting at. So basically what I'm asking is, since I have basic cable will I be able to watch it on this monitor even though it doesn't have an NTSC tuner and without the use of a cable box?

Doesn't this monitor have a QAM tuner? If so, you'll get whatever your cable company doesn't scramble. Here, it is the locals in HD, a few hit/miss random stations (usually a Turner affiliate), and a bunch of music-only stations.

I just wanted to clarify this point since I can not for the life of me find an answer online. You said it will receive all the standard cable channels, so that list would include TBS, USA, Comedy Central, TNT, Nick etc... I understand if your cable provider doesn't include some of those in the package you receive, but you catch what I'm getting at. So basically what I'm asking is, since I have basic cable will I be able to watch it on this monitor even though it doesn't have an NTSC tuner and without the use of a cable box?

I'm pretty sure it has both analog and digital tuners since I am able to receive just channels 1-13 when I set it to Air. But when I set to Cable it picks up all of the standard cable channels (TBS, USA, ComCent, etc.) as well as whatever Digital channels are available in my area. Since my cable company only broadcasts the local channels in HD, I can't get any of the other HD channels without the HD cable box that's hooked up in the main living room.

I think the documentation and the packaging is somewhat misleading because it does in fact receive standard cable channels (analog).

can anyone confirm if there are any scaling issues using xbox 360 via HDMI? with the T260HD?

i am VERY close to buying the T260HD as mostly a pc gaming monitor but having tv tuner is a big plus. i also will be hooking up a 360 and ps3 eventually for backup use.

i wish there were more reviews or test about ghosting or input lag. i am currently using a FP2141sb 22" CRT and this will be my first step into lcd world.

**edit**

should i just go for the T260, locally? mainly because i can get it for $460. thinking about it tuner isn't big deal because ill prolly have a cable box and therefore be using HDMI.

It has a Clear QAM tuner, so it will pick up everything that the cable company does not deliberately scramble. It all really depends on how your cable company sends the signal over the line. If they send them "in the clear" you will get them, but if they scramble them, then you wont. Thus, even if you pay for HBO in HD, you probably will not get it unless you use a cable box. It is how they make sure you pay for the pay channels. Basic cable and locals should be sent in the clear. Some people get lucky though and get pay channels for free. It depends.

Also, it has an analog and digital tuner, so you will be golden.

Back