HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

HP has released a new 24" monitor that has been confirmed as an H-IPS panel.

hp-lp2475w-widescreen-lcd-monitor_190x170.jpg

Specs, as listed by HP
Panel Size: 24" Diagonal
Resolution: 1920x1200 (16:10 widescreen)
Panel Type: S-IPS (Proven by [H] forum members to actually be H-IPS)
Color Gamut: Wide Gamut (102% NTSC)
Refresh: 6ms GTG, 12ms On/Off
Viewing Angle: 178/178
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Brightness: 400 nits
Scaling Options: Full screen, aspect, 1:1
Inputs: DVI-I (2), HDMI, DisplayPort, Component Video, S-Video and Composite Video
USB: Six Port USB2.0 Hub (cable included)
Stand: Adjustable height, tilt, swivel and 90-degree pivot rotation.
Noteable extras: Picture-in-Picture, Picture-Outside-Picture, dedicated input selection switch, menu option for disabling front power LED.

This monitor is now available worldwide from HP direct and third party retailers. MSRP in the U.S. is $650.

Update: The Manual has been uploaded to the HP U.S. site.

*Drool*
That panel looks awesome... But IPS is so expensive!

I want a 24" so bad though... i'm still stuck with a 19 samsung.

This is a great news! It is nice to see a new IPS, especially Europen market really needs it :)

The listing in Europe is just around $1000 without tax.
Really hoping this is a nice alternative for us Europeans.

And of corse you need to add the cost of another stand, because those HP stands are just hurting my eyes real bad :D

The listing in Europe is just around $1000 without tax.
Really hoping this is a nice alternative for us Europeans.

well its not TN thats for sure, also not MVA at that price. The specs make it look more like a PVA based panel. Note the gamut is wrong, samsung states 97% for its latest S-PVA LCD module(used in 245T, DELL 2408WFP/9).

IMO the price is definetly spot on for an IPS.

HP has described it as S-IPS in a few different documents, so it is probably safe to assume it is a new, unannounced panel. If this is the case, I bet we can expect new product announcements from NEC and others soon.

Hopefully the LP2475w will be cheap enough to be a viable alternative to the NEC 2490 for those who don't need/want to pay extra for an internal LUT. The monitor was listed with a "coming in august" release date on some of the HP press materials, so we should find out more in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully the LP2475w will be cheap enough to be a viable alternative to the NEC 2490 for those who don't need/want to pay extra for an internal LUT. The monitor was listed with a "coming in august" release date on some of the HP press materials, so we should find out more in the next couple of weeks.

I say wishful thinking. I'll go out on a limb and say it will be more expensive than the NEC.

I say wishful thinking.

Hence the "hopefully". Given the prices of some of their monitors I won't be surprised to see this one priced more than it is worth, but since the LP2475w is being positioned as the "cheaper" alternative to the LP2480zw, I *hope* they'll price it to be competitive with the NEC 2490. At or around that price point, it would be a very attractive option for people who don't need the LUT.

If they price it much higher than the 2490, I wonder what kind of a market they would really have for it. The internal LUT of the 2490 is a pretty important feature for people looking for professional quality monitors.

On the bright side, even if this particular monitor is priced too high to be worthwhile, the fact that there is a new 24" IPS panel at all is good news. I'd love to see what Doublesight or Planar could do with it.

Maybe even LP2475w will have a LUT?

"HP Display Assistant is a software utility that enables theft deterrence and allows monitor adjustment, color calibration, and security/asset management using the Display Data Channel Command Interface (DDC/CI) protocol of the connected PC"

Well, nearly anything WS with IPS is wellcomed in Europe. In Britain they have Hazro, but in the continental Europe, there is only NEC 2690, LaCie 526 (re-branded NEC) and now still rather expensive HP LP2480zx.

I have it confirmed that the monitor will be with S-IPS panel. It should replace LP2465 (S-PVA), most likely will not have internal LUT, but will be very well priced (~500 euro in EU? But I really don't know about the price in USA, I got my info from the Czech HP).

Yes but it is it sure to be IPS in North America? There seems to be some panels that are IPS in europe and VA or even TN in North America. LG is what I am thinking of now, but I hardly trust most panel makers at this point.

Yes but it is it sure to be IPS in North America? There seems to be some panels that are IPS in europe and VA or even TN in North America. LG is what I am thinking of now, but I hardly trust most panel makers at this point.

I think HP tries to enter the high-end market, so I doubt they would risk this way. But of course, let's better wait for the first LP2475w units :)

The HP canada site has this monitor listed as S-IPS, so does the UK site and several other countries... the monitor is not listed AT ALL on the U.S. site, which is kinda worrisome. It has been referenced in some US press releases though, but that was without any details on panel type or specs.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I have it confirmed that the monitor will be with S-IPS panel. It should replace LP2465 (S-PVA), most likely will not have internal LUT, but will be very well priced (~500 euro in EU? But I really don't know about the price in USA, I got my info from the Czech HP).

This will be great, putting a PVA panel in the LP2456 was a mistake IMO. Hopefully this is a worthy succesor to the LP2335.

i'm crossing my fingers...

would there finally come a single decent 24" monitor in the EU?

In fact, retailers in Sweden seem to be already selling them.

Quoted price is between 730€ and 900€, and they have estimated delivery dates from 1st August. Given the fact that they are not actually shipping them as of now, it's difficult to know if that's the real price or if it will change later.

too expensive......i would get rather EIZO for 700€....5 years warranty.

Biges.

Have you tested the HP DreamColor LP2480zx ?

I'm looking for a monitor to display footage from my RED ONE Digital Cinema camera and this DreamColor monitor caught my attention just before I jumped on the NEC.

Now I'm just waiting for more reviews on that thing. I'm waiting on reviews on the 2475 cheaper version of the monitor as well, to see if maybe that monitor is good enough.

They say a monitor as good as LP2480zx cost $20-30.000 before. And the LP2480zx is going for just over $3000. That's expensive but still sounds like good value to me...

Biges.

I'm looking for a monitor to display footage from my RED ONE Digital Cinema camera and this DreamColor monitor caught my attention just before I jumped on the NEC.

Now I'm just waiting for more reviews on that thing. I'm waiting on reviews on the 2475 cheaper version of the monitor as well, to see if maybe that monitor is good enough.

They say a monitor as good as LP2480zx cost $20-30.000 before. And the LP2480zx is going for just over $3000. That's expensive but still sounds like good value to me...
The 2480 is a completely different beast from the 2475, one is a "regular S-IPS" panel, the other is to my knowledge the first "consumer" monitor being able to display 10-bit colours.
Many have been arguing about its usefulness nowadays, since you also need a 10-bit colour output graphics card...
That said, if I were interested on the 2475, I wouldn't read too much on the 2480 abilities, and vice-versa.

Biges.

Here is the thread I created for the monitor: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1325398
I tested it, but only as a more demanding general user, becuase I don't have have a 10-bit GFX card and I don't have HP's calibrator (it should be avalaible in the autumn). HP says the monitor is capable of 133% ot NTSC colour range, 100% of aRGB etc. So far it works pretty well. It's bonus in Europe is, that it is actually only a bit more expensive then NEC 2690 (33K vs. 30K), while this does not apply to the USA market.
But the truth is, that other likely products with LED backlight and IPS panel are much more expensive.

The 2480 is a completely different beast from the 2475, one is a "regular S-IPS" panel, the other is to my knowledge the first "consumer" monitor being able to display 10-bit colours.
Many have been arguing about its usefulness nowadays, since you also need a 10-bit colour output graphics card...
That said, if I were interested on the 2475, I wouldn't read too much on the 2480 abilities, and vice-versa.

I think ATI 4850 and 4870 are 10-bit cards, but I'm not sure about it.

AFAIK 2475w should be a wide-gamut display.

or is capable of 133% ot NTSC colour range, 100% of aRGB etc. So far it works pretty well. It's bonus in Europe is, that it is actually only a bit more expensive then NEC 2690 (33K vs. 30K)

Where are you buying from? I just looked up the price of the LP2480zx after reading your comments, in the UK it is approx £2000! The 2690 Spectraview & the LaCie 526 are 'only' £1200

Also what was the screen uniformity like on the LP2480zx? any cloudy patches on black or dark images?

I'm really hoping the LP2475W is S-IPS/H-IPS to spark a little more competition here in the EU - but we really need a zero lag screen like the DoubleSight's & Planar's.

Where are you buying from? I just looked up the price of the LP2480zx after reading your comments, in the UK it is approx £2000! The 2690 Spectraview & the LaCie 526 are 'only' £1200

Also what was the screen uniformity like on the LP2480zx? any cloudy patches on black or dark images?

I'm really hoping the LP2475W is S-IPS/H-IPS to spark a little more competition here in the EU - but we really need a zero lag screen like the DoubleSight's & Planar's.

If 2475w has the polarizer filter... well, then many other LCD models can say "bye, bye" :)

I'm not buying it! I'm happy with my NEC 2690 :)

Screen uniformity... I added photo to the 2480zx thread, it is in the first post. Not very good, sorry :(

As for the monitor prices in Czechia:

LP2480zx - 33315 CZK:
http://www.alfacomp.cz/php/index.php?eid=106141&Search=LP2480zx&SearchType=1&SearchSubmit=1

NEC LCD2690WUXi - 27504 CZK*:
http://www.czechcomputer.cz/product.jsp?artno=42630

*Its price surely fell down adter LP2480zx was introduced :)

Does anyone know any details on the USA launch date and price?

The US site doesn't even list the monitor yet, which is odd because it has been up on HP Canada, UK, CZ, Middle-East, etc for over a week now. The only official indication that it will be coming out in the US is a press pamphlet released in June that listed the release date as "August." The pamphlet did not contain any information on US specs or pricing.

So we really don't know what to expect in the US yet. Although, if all else failed, it wouldn't be too hard to get one shipped from Canada.

so you're saying http://www.doublesight.com/product/?idx=5 is great LCD?

The DoubleSight DS-245W is S-PVA, and nobody has tested the lag on that particular model.

Anyway, back to the HP. One of the advantages of the NEC LCD2490WUXi is the gamut is close to sRGB. It looks like this HP doesn't have this advantage. Also, there's no indication of whether or not it has the A-TW polarizer. If it does, then it would make a nice alternative to the NEC LCD2690WUXi, although the NEC has internal calibration while the HP doesn't.

With DoubleSight and HP coming out with new IPS models, I hope IPS is making a comeback.

In Poland you can get the LP2480zx directly from HP for about £1500 (w/o VAT) or from a third party seller for around £1000 (w/o VAT).

Well, considering how well priced (I.E. without usual "Europen premium") are HP's recent IPS LCD models, maybe they manufacture them in Europe.

PVAs are made by Samnsung somewhere in Asia, most likely in the South Korea.

Back