Persistance pays off, 2 hr-03 GT's on 2 4870 cards..pics

Putz

I have a custom title
Whats a bugger this one to setup lol, but it works great!

I had to remove the steel cover from the creative xfi audio card to make it fit lol

the problem..fit all this into an antec 1200
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4652/newtoystq3.jpg
two hr-03 GT thermalright coolers, 2 4870 cards and mount 92 mm standard fans on the coolers.

stock cooling fits with room to spare
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5678/stockcoolingnv8.jpg

with a little work and getting a new sound card and removing the steel cover (stupid fatality crap..only pci-e i could find locally)
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/484/alldonerm1.jpg

and a pic with the side on
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2158/sideonhd8.jpg

alldonerm1.jpg

That is a very nice setup you got there, how much can you overclock? Over here in the office, it's tough to OC those 4870s much past stock unless we start setting the fans at 100%.

At that point it sounds like a hairdryer! :eek:

ive got the 4870s as high as the software lets me go, 790 core 1100 memory i think

just ran some loops of vantage/3dmark seems fine, the bottom card is pushing air into the power supply, its also getting fed from the fron 3 120mm fans, so the air its putting in the psu isnt much warmed than ambient

both cards are sitting at 41 right now after some vantage tests, the stock cooling was mid 70's and i had to let them cool down to remove the heatsinks lol

Well, it looks like the fan on the bottom card is getting stifled by the PSU. I suggest you mount the fan between the heatsink and the card if possible, but other than that it looks really sweet.

read above :)

the bottom fan is pushing air into the psu fan, there not fighting :)

Very nice, but the beige fans look like butt. Yate loons or Panaflo FTW!!!

Nice work, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but the case is so nice all black........then those beige fans.......:eek:

Nice rig! Do you think you'd have been better off with a top mounted PSU? My rig is the same configuration and I've been wondering about a getting a full size tower with a top mounted PSU. Thanks!:)

well if it wasnt a bottom mount psu i dont think the bottom heatsink would fit with a fan, its pretty close as you can see, my only choice was to dump the heat into the power supply and out the back

even with the thet power supply fan doesnt pickup any speed , i figure it might speed up a bit but doesnt seem to need to the exhaust is still only slighty warm from the psu when looping vantage

..i agree on the fan colors they suck, but they make such nice fans , and the notched blades they use make no noise or hum , if i turn the antec fans off the thing is near silent

Did you paint the inside of your case black? Or does it just come like that...? looks good though. Also I don't think the fan on the bottom is going to move air. I wonder if that would be an issue. Nice set up though, very clean.

its moving air, is working inline with the power supply fan(not fighting it), both gpus are 40d C right now, they stay withing a degree or two so i dont think its going to affect it much

the stock coolers, it was 74 at idle!

the case comes black inside

Have you tried running the HD4870's without the 92mm fans running? I wouldn't be surprised if your GPU core temps stay near (or a bit higher) to what they are with the 92mm fans on. The top card gets help from your CPU fans blowing up, and the bottom card gets marginal air movement from the PSU. It's worth a test...

any idea how much of a PAIN IN THE ASS those fan clips are? :)

but if i have to do any work on the pc it is something im going to try, both heat sinks are close enough to fans they should get some help without fans

i love the HR03.. best Heatsink made..

thermalright makes some great stuff..

my only complaint is the wire fan clips, the heatsinks are amazing and work so well

the clips can get frustrating at times

Noticed how you have the black edition 4870 with the unlocked bios. Have you tried any overclocking yet?

turned out good wasnt sure these vga coolers would fit

any way to put 2x 120mm fans on each card? i run my single slot 8800GT with an acellero S1 and 2x120mm fans. Can anyone try to do it?

lol i figured the 92 was fine. idles around 41-42 better than the stock in the low 70's

there is like a 1/8" recess for the 92mm fans, i guess every bit counts heh

You know they do make thinner fans which might work better. I know slientx makes thin fans.But if that set up works good then why bother.

yeah i have some old 70mm ones from the tbird heat sinks i have laying around, but they dont move much air, and they have a nasty whine to them

for being a near silent pc with all these fans i cant complain :)

Well, the only negative thing I could say about that set up is that all the heat from those 4870s are dumped inside the case.

Well, the only negative thing I could say about that set up is that all the heat from those 4870s are dumped inside the case.

you think with like 9x120mm and 1x220 fans its not a problem. with the heat being inside since it being pumped out so fast in the case.

yeah that case should be moving something like 200 cfm in and 200 out (before air filters, restrictions etc)

if the case is only holding 2-3 cf of air at any time, thats a pretty quick turnaround on the air exchange heh

but i couldnt beleive the heat comout out the back of the case with the stock coolers, just at idle

Wow nice :D

Similar to my setup (same case, and cards)

2641309657_fe4966951e.jpg

Except im still with stock cooling atm, i was considering the OrbDuos for additional blue lighting, but not exhausting the heat outside the case seemed like a big negative to me. It's a bit of a sod that with the P5E the only space for my PCI-e soundcard is right smack between the 4870's, it's case gets very hot under :)

Some more pics of my setup http://www.flickr.com/photos/28160652@N04/

Wow nice :D

Similar to my setup (same case, and cards)

2641309657_fe4966951e.jpg

Except im still with stock cooling atm, i was considering the OrbDuos for additional blue lighting, but not exhausting the heat outside the case seemed like a big negative to me. It's a bit of a sod that with the P5E the only space for my PCI-e soundcard is right smack between the 4870's, it's case gets very hot under :)

Some more pics of my setup http://www.flickr.com/photos/28160652@N04/

I had to take the metal case off my pci-e soundcard to make it fit lol

but yeah those stock coolers get HOT, i had to let them sit for 10 minutes or so before i could handle them to remove them...crazy. wonder why they fail so much compare to aftermarket, they have a huge chuck of copper in there, and the stock fan so push a ton of heat out the back of them 2 cards, even at idle

Yeah, the asus soundcard just about fits, i was a bit worried about it drooping a bit and shorting with the bottom card so i have a small bit of foam stuffed between the 2, you can just see it behind the motherboard cable (which i bought and extender for and has been run around the back)

Dunno why the stock cooling is so bad, they do run hot, the dynamic fanspeeds with default driver install lets the cards idle at 80 degrees which is mental, I've been runnign with a manually set fanspeed of 35% on each card for a while but that limits overclocks somewhat so I'm going to look at alternatives as soon as a can afford it :D

The soundcard suffers the worst, the metal cover gets too hot to touch, im guessing 85-90 degrees.

I notice we have very close specs, i didn't go with 8Gb RAM as I dont really need that yet, but I sure as hell would like a 2nd Velociraptor for RAID 0, I dumped my old 36gb Raptor RAID 0 primary array from my old rig, sad to see RAID 0 go, but always chance for another veloci in the future :p

Also very nice overclock on your CPU, im running the Q9450 and have had the Voltage set to auto and cant seem to manage much above 3.6Ghz, but from what I've read thats quite a decent overclock anyhow.

the velociraptors are very nice, and really quiet compared to the old ones

ive uses 36/73 and 160 gb models in the past

lol if you need 8gb i have 4x2gb gskill ddr2 1000 fs in the forums pretty cheap lol :)

your soundcard wont fit between my cards with them coolers, two of the screws on the back are in the way there actually in between the caps on the sound card, not touching obviously, but its that snug lol

Back