Nvidia's next "big bang" September

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
news_nvbigbangIIs.png

The lads over at chilehardware have managed to get a sneek peek into a spy shot of NVIDIA's 2008 driver roadmap. The shot is very difficult to see clearly, but what it appears to show is upcoming features such as Display Port connectivity, Quality improvements, Performance improvements and OpenGL 3.0.

NVIDIA's Big Bang II

Now, those things may be stating the obvious as far as progression goes for future driver releases, but the particularly interesting thing to note is the mention of the Big Bang II which this spy shot indicates is arriving in September.

Given NVIDIA called the introduction of SLI Big Bang I prior to its unveiling, this next big bang certainly has us all wondering.

What could it be?

Source

OpenGL 3.0 is more of an API/software overhaul. I'm pretty sure DX10 capable hardware can run it. The big thing is that you can do so on WindowsXP as well which may give OpenGL a leg up over DirectX 10.

I hope it's magical because my "old" 8800gts 640mb is still doing pretty damn well for me

Hrm DX11?

I think the express port thing is a big upgrade in itself since it allows for much higher resolutions.

Maybe its the GX2 280?

Also, that is right around the time that the Nahlem processor and motherboards are supposed to be coming out (just read that on the hard news site). Perhaps a new video card slot to go with the new socket type?

So it's coming out in Sept and no one has even a slightest idea what it actually is????
I highly doubt it's related to any significant hardware change cause by now the web would be abuzz with anticipation and leaked info.

It's not hardware - it's a driver roadmap after all. I'm not sure what sort of big bang they can pull out now to equal the introduction of SLI with the first big bang.

It's not hardware - it's a driver roadmap after all. I'm not sure what sort of big bang they can pull out now to equal the introduction of SLI with the first big bang.

most likely something related to CUDA .

Isn't that around the same timeframe NVidia is expected to release the BadaBOOM h.264 encoder? Seems to make sense with the name, too. I sure hope it's at least better than this mythical can of whoop ass we're still waiting on.

Maybe a better SLI configuration? Better Scaling and removing micro-stuttering would be good. Or maybe (unlikely) there will be a major preformance boost to the GTX 200 series? Like I said, doubtful on the second one.

So what the hell does it say exactly about Big Bang II? I'm trying to make it out.
Big Bang II - ____ will focus(?) on
New_______________​
SLI Connectivity Features(?)​
Display connectivity(?)​
Quality Improvements​
Performance Improvements​
OpenGL 3.0​

A Quad Core GPU with ~100% scaling across a new SLi interface would be pretty cool. :)

I'd take the core from a 9800 GTX+ with near 100% scaling and turn it into a "quad core". If you fix the shared frame buffer so you don't have to have 4 gigs of memory to get 1 gig of real memoy and you'd be golden AND cheap.

So what the hell does it say exactly about Big Bang II? I'm trying to make it out.
New HWFeatures (hw = hardware i think)

SLI Connectivity Features(?)

Display connectivity(?)

Quality Improvements

Performance Improvements

OpenGL 3.0

Are you implying CUDA is marketing? :rolleyes:

no. you may be right; this "big bang II" thing may indeed be related to CUDA. what i am implying is that whether NVDA's new products are hot shit or cold diarrhea, they always talk big. i'll reserve my excitement and enthusiasm for when there's an [H] review showing me that they've done well. short of that, all i have to say is :eek:

Well if ATI hasn't released their successful 4xxx series this would have been just a die shrink of the 8800 board. haha Nvidia milked that for 2 years and now they're scrambling to come up with something from scratch.

Dude, I am friggin excited about this. Wait, no I'm not. Must have been the hookers and blow. Bang bang.

Kyle, your excitement seems to hinge on fast hardware. Why would you be excited about a driver milestone? :rolleyes:

Well if ATI hasn't released their successful 4xxx series this would have been just a die shrink of the 8800 board. haha Nvidia milked that for 2 years and now they're scrambling to come up with something from scratch.

You'd think they wouldn't have been sleeping for two years... pfft, turns out they were I guess. Just like AMD slept for years with the Athlon...

That said, one can dream. Dual core w/cuda would follow in Big bang's tracks, I would guess.

New HWFeatures (hw = hardware i think)

SLI Connectivity Features(?)

Display connectivity(?)

Quality Improvements

Performance Improvements

OpenGL 3.0

Amazing, I almost peed in my pants. Quality improvements and SLI Connectivity Features....can you say...ZOMG! :p

nvidia is going to stop producing graphics card chips altogether.
they are going to license out SLI to intel.
they are going to focus entirely on imbedded cell phone and console graphics.
all GPU business will be sold to ATI.

Bang. (honestly......who cares, hunger will not be solved and life will continue.)

Kyle, your excitement seems to hinge on fast hardware. Why would you be excited about a driver milestone? :rolleyes:

coz he knows something we dont , lucky bastard :D:D:D:D always knows everything from the inside, while we discuss it in the forums for months and months ( maybe 1 month ) while he watches and smiles at the speculation while he knows the truth :D

They could be trying to spoil the 4870gx2 launch in August. If Big Bang II is coming in September it might give a good reason for people to wait on their gx2 purchase to see what Nvidia's going to do.

All I know is this big bang needs to happen before Oct 15 when my 260 step up runs out.

Its the date that all those G84M chips will self-destruct ala Sony's exploding battery fiasco.

Its the date that all those G84M chips will self-destruct ala Sony's exploding battery fiasco.
lmao

With the talk of SLI and etc, I'm guessing it's just referring to using the nforce chip in Intel chipsets to enable SLI on X58.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7979.html

NVIDIA to announce something big in September
Written by Andreas G 24 July 2008 22:31

NVIDIA has something big coming, according to its own estimates something about the same size as SLI when it launched. It's not the introduction of the rumored Radeon HD 4870X2 killer, the 55nm G200b core. That would be a bit too weak. There is a new PhysX driver that will enable PhysX on all CUDA-capable GPUs that will launch soon, but it should arrive sooner than that. Instead, the bang comes from updated CUDA support and improved drivers.

SLI will be updated, connectivity will be updated, CUDA looks like it will go commercial, and better quality and performance overall. The last part may also include improved scaling in various SLI configurations. Whether it will have the same impact as SLI had remains to be seen. More news should follow as we approach the next Big Bang.

Back