Help Diagnose my LCD problem

brom42

2[H]4U
I have started to have problems with my Dell 3007FPW. I want to make sure that I am blaming the right component before I start RMAing things.

The problem is that I am starting to have flickering pixels. I have uploaded a video to You Tube (Linky) that shows the problem. I don't have a real video camera, so that is the best I can do.

Here is the problem. It only happens on my HD4850 at 2560x1600 resolution. When I put my old card back in (an 8600GT) the problem goes away. Checking both the Reduce DVI frequencies on high-resolution displays will make it go away for a while, but the problem comes back.

I run my HD4850 underclocked and with the fan turned up in windows and the problem happens. The thing is, I can run FurMark at 2560x1600 at the stock settings letting the card roast and the problem stays exactly the same. It doesn't matter how hard I am working the video card or how hot or cool it is. The problem is always exactly the same. I have tried a few versions of the drivers with no luck.

If you notice in the video, the flickering only happens along color changes. Edges of the eye, on the edge of the gray part. I can move it around the screen, and the flickering pixels follow the image and stay in the same spots relative to the face.

So what is the problem? My LCD or Video Card. I am leaning toward my LCD being overly picky about the signal it receives. Unfortunately, I don't have any other 30" LCDs to test this on and I only have my 2 video cards that are capable of Dual-Link DVI. :(

Cliffs
1) Got new video card, now have flickering Pixels. Goes away with old card.
2) Video Here
3) Happens both in windows and under benchmarking equally
4) Happens on the edges of colors
5) Video Card or LCD?
6) Everything is still under warranty.
7) Strong Bad Rocks!!

It looks like faulty video memory.
Try another monitor with your ATI card to confirm.

It looks like faulty video memory.
Try another monitor with your ATI card to confirm.

Before the problem only happened at 2560 x 1600 (so I couldn't test any other monitors), now the problem always happens.

So I just did the following tests:

1) 8600GT + 3007FPW @ 2560 x 1600 = no problem
2) 8600GT + 3007FPW @ 1600 x 1200 = no problem
3) HD4850 + 3007FPW @ 2560 x 1600 = problems
4) HD4850 + 3007FPW @ 1600 x 1200 = problems
5) HD4850 + Samsung 204B @1600 x 1200 = no problems
6) 8600GT + Samsung 204B @1600 x 1200 = no problems

The problem only occurs when I am using both the HD4850 and my 3007FPW. Any other combination works perfectly.

I've got similar problems with my on-board video (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) and I am starting to suspect the motherboard is responsible. Changing SATA settings and FrameBuffer settings on the BIOS seem to affect how often you get the flickering pixels (mine are different to yours, though, and look like there is a crack in the monitor, sometimes on colour blends.

Hi
I realised my problem shows only when using my display port. It goes away using HDMI. I am using in both cases 1920x1200 resolution.

Back