EA revenue from PC games trumps xbox 360

defiant007

2[H]4U
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53923

Earnings from Electronic Arts' PC and PlayStation 3 publishing and development businesses contributed to net revenue of $804 million in the company's fiscal year 2009 first quarter, the publisher revealed today.

The figure marks a $409M year-over-year increase above EA's 2008 Q1 revenue of $395M, led by PlayStation 3 sales amounting to $139M. PC software followed at $86M, while Xbox 360 sales came in third with $81M in the quarter ending June 30, 2008.

Meanwhile, net loss for the quarter was $95 million, down from $132 million from the first quarter of last year.

The company cited EA DICE's Battlefield: Bad Company (PS3, 360) and the BioWare and Demiurge co-developed PC edition of Mass Effect as examples of critically well-received games released in the quarter.

"We are now seeing the early returns of the change agenda we started last year," said EA CEO John Riccitiello. "Innovation and quality are rising, our games are more accessible and fun, and we have more new titles than at any time in our history."

Perhaps Cliffy B and Cervat Yerli can shut the fuck up now about how they think PC gaming is dying just because no one wants to buy their shitty games.

Yea, PS3 figures seem almost not legit. I think Sony said at E3 that 2008 would be a great year for PS3.

Yea, I think its funny how epic puts out a shitty game, and they blame their lack of sales on piracy... Ah, last time I checked, UT3 required a unique key to play on line, which is the only worth while way to play the god dang game in the first place. Oh i pirated UT3, I get to play the single player for free yeah!, wow, that single player mode is great isnt it?

I think PC gamers are less inclinded to purchase a crap game. I mean I bought UT3, it was a mistake, and for those of you who do have UT3 have you ever tried to find a server with actual people in it? I mean wow.... Epic Fail! pun intended.

The PC has been EA's 2nd biggest platform for the last two years.

2007:
Playstation 2: $886
PC: $498
360: $480
Playstation 3: $94
Wii $65

2006:
Playstation 2: $1,127
PC: $418
Xbox: $400
Xbox 360: $140
GameCube: $135

So what PC games are making all that money besides Mass Effect? I see a total of 2 games mentioned, bad company and mass effect, and bad company is console only.

Im confused, how did the PS3 did so good?

Maybe the few games people are buying are all the EA ones? and it is true not that many EA games were sold on the 360 that were that good (bad company probably the best), the big tickets were all other brands (Halo, GTA, COD, etc.)

So what PC games are making all that money besides Mass Effect? I see a total of 2 games mentioned, bad company and mass effect, and bad company is console only.

The Sims series. The Sims 2 and all of it's expansion packs are still selling very well. EA is also the distributor for Valve's new games. Spore Creature Creator is selling right now, and Spore will probably sell well. There's also the Command & Conquer series. Crysis is still selling, and people have a PC that can run it well now.

In the near future Spore will be a hit. Battlefield Heroes might be. The Sims 3 will be a blockbuster.

Perhaps Cliffy B and Cervat Yerli can shut the fuck up now about how they think PC gaming is dying just because no one wants to buy their shitty games.

Don't hold your breath. When Yerli's mouth isn't on a penis, its on the mic lying about everything he can think of.

Well EA is also the publisher for 2 of the heavyweights on PC, Valve and id. Add in the sims franchise and this isn't too surprising.

I think developers keep PS3 teams smaller to help keep cost down, since obviously they won't sell as many units. But if the sales spike, they'll make more money since the cost was lower.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53923

Uhh, Crysis has sold ~ 1.5 million copies to date.

It may have seemed bleak in the first month or so, but it picked up exponentially thereafter, and can easily be argued as one of the greatest FPS titles of all time (99.99% of all Crysis haters are those whose rigs cant handle it or those whom have unrealistic performance expectations altogether). Crysis does have a 91+ Metacritic score by the way. :rolleyes:

UT3 on the other hand was crap from the get go because it was designed with consoles in mind.

Don't compare UT3 to Crysis, that's just ignorant.

PC gaming still has money to be made... Adopt the platform that steam is and run with it. Yes even with steam piracy still can happen... But it's not as easily done like it is with other games. And the fact that I can dodge any time of anti-piracy like stardock and this is the reason why steam gets my money.

And btw... I don't hate crysis because I can;t run it in the highest effing possible settings... I hate their entire line of products to ever come out of those studios for being all bland linear shooters with just bright green islands to do it on. Nothing was ever ground breaking in those games and nothing ever will be. Time and time again has proven graphics mean shit when the gameplay sucks.

Overall I wish this companies would get back to making quality games and not as many they can spit out and hope that it does decently so over the year they can make a dime. This is were Blizzard and Valve really shine nowadays and the guy that made the sims ^^

And btw... I don't hate crysis because I can;t run it in the highest effing possible settings... I hate their entire line of products to ever come out of those studios for being all bland linear shooters with just bright green islands to do it on....

Overall I wish this companies would get back to making quality games and not as many they can spit out and hope that it does decently so over the year they can make a dime. This is were Blizzard and Valve really shine nowadays and the guy that made the sims ^^

I assume that you mean that Crytek makes linear games and Valve, Blizzard make open ended sandbox games?:confused:

It may have seemed bleak in the first month or so, but it picked up exponentially thereafter, and can easily be argued as one of the greatest FPS titles of all time (99.99% of all Crysis haters are those whose rigs cant handle it or those whom have unrealistic performance expectations altogether). Crysis does have a 91+ Metacritic score by the way. :rolleyes:

UT3 on the other hand was crap from the get go because it was designed with consoles in mind.

I agree Crysis has sold well and it is a good game. So why is Yerli still bitching and threatening to jump ship?

I agree Crysis has sold well and it is a good game. So why is Yerli still bitching and threatening to jump ship?

He wasn't *just* bitching, he's simply trying to do what makes the most economic sense by expanding his customer base via development for multiple platforms.

If he was bitching incessantly and threatening to jump ship irrespective of Crysis' sales, then don't you think Crysis Warhead would have been a multiplatform title?

We know however that it is not, he's still sticking with the PC exclusively for their next title.

However, just like every other developer out there, Crytek too are toying with the idea of maximizing their profits by not jumping ship, but rather sumultaneously developing for both PC's and consoles.

Look, if you're a game developer, you have a right to feel pissed off knowing that people are stealing your product that you and your workers worked very hard on.

And yet today EA announced they were not developing a port of Red Alert 3 for the PS3.... just the 360 and PC to start with due to the "complexity of the PS3 to develop for".... despite it being their current cash cow. PS3 port to come 'later' apparently.

Hmmm... pull your fingers out of your arse's EA.... and learn how to program the PS3 properly rather than poorly coding up ports that ship 6 months later.

Or better still... just focus on developing RTS games properly for the PC... and whilst you are at it... Battlefield 3 ? Anyone Anyone ? Beuller ?

PS - EA..... go stick battlefield heroes up ur arse! We dont want it.

Im confused, how did the PS3 did so good?

Maybe the few games people are buying are all the EA ones? and it is true not that many EA games were sold on the 360 that were that good (bad company probably the best), the big tickets were all other brands (Halo, GTA, COD, etc.)

have u looked ath the games currently out on the ps3? uncharted, Ferrari challenge and the almighty MGS4 which currently is the best game out this year. then you have socom, fifa 09 with exclusive ps3 stuff in it plus resistance 2 and many more

yep with microcrap starting all this pc crap so they can try to get everyone to buy a Fing xbox.
Wonder how much pc operating system money they spent to get them to say pc piracy is killing pc games.

Guys!

This is revenue we are talking about here. Not profits. Revenue.

Revenue is the money made from sales before expenses are deducted. EA received 139 million for PS3 game sales, but that's not how much they made. They made way less than that. It's possible that after expenses are deducted that Xbox could even be on top. Who knows. I'm not the one managing their books. But to look at revenue as a measure of the amount of money a company made = REALLY bad idea. Trust me here.

In fact, they pulled a net loss. They didn't even make money that quarter. They lost money. A lot of that money could very well have been (gasp) R&D money from their PS3 division. It wouldn't be their cash cow then, huh?

As to why the PC did so well, I've got two words: "The Sims."

yep with microcrap starting all this pc crap so they can try to get everyone to buy a Fing xbox.
Wonder how much pc operating system money they spent to get them to say pc piracy is killing pc games.

What?? :confused:

I wasn't comparing UT3 to crysis, but the fact remains that Yerli bitched and moaned that not enough people bought his game and that generally pc gaming is dying. Now whether crysis sold 1.5 million copies is besides the point when you have Yerli complaining that they did not sell enough copies because of piracy.

He wasn't *just* bitching, he's simply trying to do what makes the most economic sense by expanding his customer base via development for multiple platforms.

If he was bitching incessantly and threatening to jump ship irrespective of Crysis' sales, then don't you think Crysis Warhead would have been a multiplatform title?

We know however that it is not, he's still sticking with the PC exclusively for their next title.

However, just like every other developer out there, Crytek too are toying with the idea of maximizing their profits by not jumping ship, but rather sumultaneously developing for both PC's and consoles.

He is bitching incessantly. And what they are doing was not rationalised on the basis of expanding their markets, they stated they were doing it because pc gaming is dying.

Crysis warhead isn't a multiplatform title because the crytek engine cannot, in its current form, run on any present console system. They would probably spend more money trying to port the engine to consoles than what it would cost to make a cheap cash-in expansion. This is all besides the point given that Yerli has gone on record threatening that warhead will be their last exclusive PC title if it does not sell well (and that they have actually "optimised" it to run decently on main stream systems).

He is bitching incessantly. And what they are doing was not rationalised on the basis of expanding their markets, they stated they were doing it because pc gaming is dying.

Crysis warhead isn't a multiplatform title because the crytek engine cannot, in its current form, run on any present console system. They would probably spend more money trying to port the engine to consoles than what it would cost to make a cheap cash-in expansion. This is all besides the point given that Yerli has gone on record threatening that warhead will be their last exclusive PC title if it does not sell well (and that they have actually "optimised" it to run decently on main stream systems).
Exactly. Crysis Warhead is little more than a glorified mission pack, and it would be counter productive to get CryEngine 2 working on consoles for that type of product. Besides, I'd bet Crysis Warhead was in production before all of his ridiculous threats.

That's not really true.

Crytek have demoed the Cryengine 2 in its current form, albeit running at what we PC users would consider to be Medium settings and at what appeared to be a typical console resolution (some 10xx by 6xx resolution) on both the PS3 and the 360 a few monrths ago during this years GDC.
It can be done, a multiplatform Crysis Warhead that is, but it would pale graphically in comparison to any modern gaming PC's rendition of it.

Moreoever with respect to Warhead, and as was the case with Crysis, Crytek noted that they did not want to compromise the artistic integrity of their title in order to appease the console masses.
In other words, they felt that their vision could only be realized on modern gaming PCs, in an unadulterated form without the numerous limitations of the consoles.

That's not really true.

Crytek have demoed the Cryengine 2 in its current form, albeit running at what we PC users would consider to be Medium settings and at what appeared to be a typical console resolution (some 10xx by 6xx resolution) on both the PS3 and the 360 a few monrths ago during this years GDC.
It can be done, a multiplatform Crysis Warhead that is, but it would pale graphically in comparison to any modern gaming PC's rendition of it.

Moreoever with respect to Warhead, and as was the case with Crysis, Crytek noted that they did not want to compromise the artistic integrity of their title in order to appease the console masses.
In other words, they felt that their vision could only be realized on modern gaming PCs, in an unadulterated form without the numerous limitations of the consoles.

Link? Didn't read anything about that.

Look, if you're a game developer, you have a right to feel pissed off knowing that people are stealing your product that you and your workers worked very hard on.

I don't hear WB bitching about people pirating The Dark Knight. Piracy exists in all digital media, but apparently it only really, really hurts PC gaming.

The developers should be pissed off with themselves and have the guts to fire themselves for making such a crappy game. I mean, ut3 built around the console? You gotta be kidding me, the analog stick isnt fast enough to jerk it round. The mouse is a different story. It allows you multiple orgasms while playing the game.

All I can say is almost every single person on this earth has a PC, and WoW proves that point, sims proves that point, and more so valve proves that point.

sims, football manager (uk), and all those other titles. Its quite funny ive got friends who bought crysis and cant even run the game, but they say theyll be holding onto it till they get a decent rig.

Exactly. Crysis Warhead is little more than a glorified mission pack, and it would be counter productive to get CryEngine 2 working on consoles for that type of product. Besides, I'd bet Crysis Warhead was in production before all of his ridiculous threats.

It being in production for a while, you can be sure of. But it's not just a mission pack. It's a whole new game, in the exact same setting through the eyes of a different character. I'm actually anxious to see how the final mission pans out i.e. how we (Psycho) capture one of the aliens.

for me. if intel, nvidia and ATI can produce a onboard graphics card that is as powerful has a 9600gt card then i cna tell u this now. pc gaming will be on the rise again for defo.

the more people that can play your product ie your game, the more it will sell, wow and sims is the perfect example of this. make a onboard gpu thats as powerful as a 9600gt and almost any DELL pc would be able to run warhead, age of conan, mass effect, etc on medium/high settings easily. at this day and age, a onboard gpu is has useful as a floopy disk drive at its current state.

If it wasn´t for piracy the PC would be number one not only in Europe as currently but all over the world... So it´s ridiculous to think piracy don´t hurt game developers. For sure there is piracy on the consoles as well but it´s less common and the console gamers are obviously not very price sensitive anyway...

Guys!

Revenue is the money made from sales before expenses are deducted. EA received 139 million for PS3 game sales, but that's not how much they made. They made way less than that. It's possible that after expenses are deducted that Xbox could even be on top. Who knows.

If anything it makes the PC figures look even better. EA has to pay licensing fees to Sony and MS for every 360 and PS3 game they make. They don't have to do that for PC games.

Guys!

Revenue is the money made from sales before expenses are deducted. EA received 139 million for PS3 game sales, but that's not how much they made. They made way less than that. It's possible that after expenses are deducted that Xbox could even be on top. Who knows. I'm not the one managing their books. But to look at revenue as a measure of the amount of money a company made = REALLY bad idea. Trust me here.

In fact, they pulled a net loss. They didn't even make money that quarter. They lost money. A lot of that money could very well have been (gasp) R&D money from their PS3 division. It wouldn't be their cash cow then, huh?

As to why the PC did so well, I've got two words: "The Sims."

What?? :confused:

If anything it makes the PC figures look even better. EA has to pay licensing fees to Sony and MS for every 360 and PS3 game they make. They don't have to do that for PC games.

QED

Back