Wolud you still buy a new LGA 775 system now?

Would you still buy a new LGA 775 system now?

• Total voters

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
With Nahalem is just around the corner and it will use a new socket, I don't know whether it is still a good choice to buy a new Intel system right now.

I think that if you buy a cheap Intel system right now, you will end up like most S939 users, by the time yo want to upgrade, the CPU price will be too expensive compared to a new Nahalem CPU but if you want to jump to Nahalem, you still need to buy a new mobo and RAM .

I would only recommend an Intel system right now if it comes with a quad core CPU capable of hitting more than 3.0GHz OC and it should also have 8GB of RAM because DDR2 is really cheap now. If you go with less RAM, by the time you want to upgrade, DDR2 would be more expensive when compared to DDR3.

I think that a 3.0GHz+ quad core with 8GB RAM should last until the price of Nahalem CPU, mobo and DDR3 RAM drops to the price of the C2Q today.

Yes I would. In fact I did just 3 weeks ago. See sig for details.

Zero buyers remorse. I know Nehalem is right around the corner but I also built a system that'll last me for what I do until I'm ready for a new PC.

If everybody worried about what's right around the corner nobody would buy anything. You need to remember that a newly built PC is already obsolete by the time you stabilize the overclock. ;)

-V

I would upgrade too. In fact, I'm probably going to as Nahalem is releasing. It seems to offer too much value.

Right now, if you were looking at the high end, no, but for anything else its going to be a while. The only thing coming out this year I believe is Bloomfield and X58, not cheap.

Plus this is just the first spin of Nehalem and its not going to be a huge bump over Penryn. I want to see the Nehalem landscape a bit before I bite. Maybe Christmas. Actually I might wait for 32nm.

Why not? LGA 775 still has plenty of life left in it, even with Nehalem around the corner. I guess a high end LGA 775 rig atm doesn't make much sense, then again a QX9770 buyer probably wouldn't blink an eye shelling out the same amount for Nehalem in a few months time to stay on the bleeding edge... ahh, the joys of being rich! :p

Remember, the LGA 1366 / Bloomfield platform is targeted at the high end / performance market, and the mainstream LGA 1160 / Lynnfield platform won't arrive until Q3 next year. This means that for the next 12 months Intel has to rely on LGA775 as their mainstream platform, which should hopefully mean even cheaper C2Ds and C2Qs for all. :cool:

Of course! Actually with the ridiculous low prices of ddr2, quadcore cpus and graphics cards this is a great season to build a new pc. Don't forget that Nehalem is not only a new platform but also a major change in Intel cpus architecture..so expect high prices, a lot of motherboard revisions and maybe some early bugs.

I would only recommend an Intel system right now if it comes with a quad core CPU capable of hitting more than 3.0GHz OC and it should also have 8GB of RAM because DDR2 is really cheap now. If you go with less RAM, by the time you want to upgrade, DDR2 would be more expensive when compared to DDR3.

LOL, what Intel quad core isn't capable of 3GHz+ overclocks?! ;)

I think 8GB of RAM is just overkill, 4GB is plenty, even for Vista.

The 45nm budget Penryns come out soon, the E5xxx "Pentium Dual Core" systems, I am pretty interested in one of those.

Why not? LGA 775 still has plenty of life left in it, even with Nehalem around the corner. I guess a high end LGA 775 rig atm doesn't make much sense, then again a QX9770 buyer probably wouldn't blink an eye shelling out the same amount for Nehalem in a few months time to stay on the bleeding edge... ahh, the joys of being rich! :p

QFT

unless yer looking to drop 700+ on just CPU/mobo, yes. i'd still get a $200 dual-core with medium-priced mobo for sure, but wouldnt go any higher

Remember, the LGA 1366 / Bloomfield platform is targeted at the high end / performance market, and the mainstream LGA 1160 / Lynnfield platform won't arrive until Q3 next year. This means that for the next 12 months Intel has to rely on LGA775 as their mainstream platform, which should hopefully mean even cheaper C2Ds and C2Qs for all. :cool:

Why must Intel make two different platforms?? I guess keeping it simple just is not in the cards, lol. The LGA1366 going to be for the new Xeons or what??

It depends on what your specific situation is.

If your current rig is capable of doing what you need right now, then wait. Maybe pick up a bleeding edge vid card maybe. That will transfer over for a while.

If your rig is several years old, like mine was, then now is a great time to replace it. Get a cheap dual core and clock the shit outta it, or a Q6600 if you feel you have a need for it. In a year or so, you will still have a couple of more steps up when the last revisions of the 775 chips come down in price.

The new stuff will not be mainstream till late next year. Unless you are rich, (in which case you already have a cutting edge machine,) then that's the soonest that the new stuff will be affordable for the average shmuck like me.

Don

Yep. Why not... GPU's are the current bottleneck for most situations, and for situations they're not, a high powered cpu is generally not required...

I would not recommend purchasing a new chipset until it is at least 6 months mature.
This also allows the prices to drop.

The current Intel chips can be clocked so high, they are faster than is needed for todays graphics cards, even SLI / Crossfire.
This gives them some operating headroom for the next gen gfx cards.

I'm about to buy a new core2quad system because it's so cheap.

I'd rather dump my money into a nice video card than spend tons of money on Nehalem. Games these days are so gpu-dependent I doubt Nehalem would offer any real tangible improvements.

I have an e6600 system right now I'm going to sell to a friend and upgrade to a quad-core. I wouldn't even be upgrading but he needs a new set-up and I want to help him out, and I can sell my whole system to him to pay for the my new cpu+motherboard+ram.

Then in ~1 and a half years to 2 years I'll move to the new socket when it's cheap and bug-free :)

If you HAD to buy now I would buy s775. If you have a decent system and are looking to upgrade, Id wait for LGA1366.
Theres more to computing than games, hard as that may be for many of us to hear.

I just setup a an E6700/2gigs Corsair/Foxconn P35A/8800GTX a few days ago, since my Opty 165 MSI K8N Diamond Plus seems to be killing sticks of ram.

vista_03.jpg

What I want to say is if you went with a dual core S775 CPU now, I think that you will end up like most S939 users right now. An AMD X2 S939 was a really fast CPU and at the time it was more than enough to support a fast GPU like the 7950GX2. Now people are complaining that their CPU is not fast enough for their new GPU.

A cheap C2D now is also more than enough to support the current GPU but when a new GPU is out, people will start noticing the bottleneck. By that time the price of a faster S775 CPU would be higher than a faster Nahalem CPU just like the price of a faster S939 CPU is much higher than the price of an AM2 CPU right now.

People will get the same dilemma again, if they want to get the full performance from their new GPU, they will need to have a faster CPU and their choice is a more expensive S775 CPU or a whole Nahalem system with CPU, mobo and RAM.

I have seen Nehalem and I am not that impressed. Sure it's fast...in multi-threaded apps but unless you are doing a ton of multi-threaded tasks I don't see much of a reason to wait or upgrade.
I have not yet run any gaming tests but I highly doubt that a 2.6GHz Nehalem is going to offer any substantial improvement over an existing 3GHz+ C2D or C2Q.

Keep in mind the special platforms that you will need to purchase in order to overclock Intel's next gen.

What I want to say is if you went with a dual core S775 CPU now, I think that you will end up like most S939 users right now. An AMD X2 S939 was a really fast CPU and at the time it was more than enough to support a fast GPU like the 7950GX2. Now people are complaining that their CPU is not fast enough for their new GPU.

A cheap C2D now is also more than enough to support the current GPU but when a new GPU is out, people will start noticing the bottleneck. By that time the price of a faster S775 CPU would be higher than a faster Nahalem CPU just like the price of a faster S939 CPU is much higher than the price of an AM2 CPU right now.

People will get the same dilemma again, if they want to get the full performance from their new GPU, they will need to have a faster CPU and their choice is a more expensive S775 CPU or a whole Nahalem system with CPU, mobo and RAM.

Cmon, do you really think an E0 E8x00 @ 4GHz+ is really gonna bottleneck upcoming GPUs! :rolleyes:

I reckon a C2D @ 4GHz would be faster in games than a 3GHz Nehalem anyway. I don't expect massive gains from Nehalem in games, unless the game was heavily multithreaded.

Cmon, do you really think an E0 E8x00 @ 4GHz+ is really gonna bottleneck upcoming GPUs! :rolleyes:

I reckon a C2D @ 4GHz would be faster in games than a 3GHz Nehalem anyway. I don't expect massive gains from Nehalem in games, unless the game was heavily multithreaded.

You highlighted the wrong word, the keyword is upcoming, in the future. At the current rate, the GPU would be twice as fast within less than two years while the CPU would only gain a little performance increase per core in the same timeline but the number of cores are increasing significantly. Because of this I think that future games would be more multithreaded than before so more cores would be better than more GHz.

People also said that they didn't need anything faster than 2.5GHz AMD X2 before but when the 8800GTX and above hit the market, even a 3.0GHz AMD X2 would not be enough for some.

An obsolete socket is not really the worst place to be. The smart s939 users picked up 4400+s for $70 on Newegg LONG after the socket was dead. You just have to watch for old batches.

I'm hoping to pick up a Q9450 or a Q9650 for $100 when LGA775 is long gone. :)

Yes. I want the best performance for price ratio. Right now, that would probably be an overclocked E2180. I am waiting till the E5XXX launch though and if the 5200 is around $84, I will likely buy that (unless I see the 2180 for less than $50 which I did see once at Microcenter). I am also waiting for the MCP7A based motherboards. Might stick with an older Intel based board depending on what I see though. Still on a Barton so I'm in no hurry. There are many other things I would rather spend my money on that you can't see the depreciation on weekly and get replaced with better things every 6 months or less.

At the current rate, the GPU would be twice as fast within less than two years while the CPU would only gain a little performance increase per core in the same timeline but the number of cores are increasing significantly. Because of this I think that future games would be more multithreaded than before so more cores would be better than more GHz.

People also said that they didn't need anything faster than 2.5GHz AMD X2 before but when the 8800GTX and above hit the market, even a 3.0GHz AMD X2 would not be enough for some.

I agree with your AMD comment.
However, each generation of GPU has never needed 100% more CPU.
More like 20%, so the faster current Intel CPUs should last at least another generation of gfx cards.

Nehalem is new tech. When I upgrade this fall I will be building a truly new system. I am looking for something that is blistering fast and so far only a Nehalem based system will provide that.

I PERSONALLY would not simply because I think I have a pretty darn good system as it is, so any CPU upgrade for me short of Nehalem would be a complete waste of money. If however I was running a single core CPU or even a 939 dual core or Pentium D, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 775 system. You can get a quad core CPU, 4GB of ram and a decent board that can OC that quad to 3+GHz for about $250. That's a steal regardless of when Nehalem is going to ship and the performance will be good enough to last well into Nehalem's product cycle.

LGA775 is still the fastest platform out right now. Kind of a ridiculous question, IMO.

I haven't even started to stretch my overclock on my Q6600, and it's fucking ridiculously fast at 3.2GHz for everything but Supreme Commander networked compstomps. Nehalem won't help that since supcom isn't multithreaded *enough* to take advantage of it. I'd buy a sick-fast 775 quad before I'd buy a whole new nehalem system.

You highlighted the wrong word, the keyword is upcoming, in the future. At the current rate, the GPU would be twice as fast within less than two years while the CPU would only gain a little performance increase per core in the same timeline but the number of cores are increasing significantly. Because of this I think that future games would be more multithreaded than before so more cores would be better than more GHz.

Well, let's take a look at the C2Ds from 2 years go, is an E6300 or E6600 @ 3.2GHz still fast enough for current GPUs? Sure they are. At launch the fastest GPUs were the 7800GTXs and 1950XTs. The C2Ds then proved more than capable of powering the 8800GTS/GTX GPUs, and now they're capable of powering a HD4800 and GTX200 series too. Thats 2 gens of GPUs already, in which time GPU performance has gone up some 400% or more. C2Ds are proving to be quite resilient in gaming longevity - provided you are willing to overclock them, of course.

X2s are a somewhat different situation. They are bottlenecking because they are essentially a 2003 era CPU packaged as a dual core. C2D is a lot more efficient, from memory some ~40% faster in games per clock when the GPU is not the bottleneck. For all its strengths, I don't see Nehalem being 40% faster in games per clock, not even close. I hope to be proven wrong though. ;)

Anyway, a C2D @ 4GHz surely is enough for the current gen, and next gen GPUs as well. Perhaps in 2 years time they will finally bottleneck GPUs as games become more multithreaded, but you assume theres going to a radical change in games in becoming massively multithreaded in the near future, which I don't agree with.

Its going to be a slow process, quads have been around since late 2006, nearly 2 years later there are still only a handful of games that can actually utilize quads, and you know why? Because duals are still dominating sales, only ~10% of Intel sales are quads, so the vast majority of the market is still running duals. Game developers are going to be reluctant to make games that only run well on a small portion of the market. Of course there are always the pioneers that dare to push the envelopes like Sup Com and Crysis, but such games are few and far between.

If and when quads start dropping down to the $100 mark, thats when sales will really take off, and as a result, highly multithreaded gaming will follow. It doesn't look like Intel nor AMD is willing to drop prices to those levels anytime soon. If you check AMD's ASPs, its around the $65 mark, and Intel is around the $100 mark. That shows you where the 'common denominator' is at the moment. $200 quads may seem cheap to 'us' enthusiasts but for most people its still too expensive to consider.

Of course! Actually with the ridiculous low prices of ddr2, quadcore cpus and graphics cards this is a great season to build a new pc. Don't forget that Nehalem is not only a new platform but also a major change in Intel cpus architecture..so expect high prices, a lot of motherboard revisions and maybe some early bugs.

+1

With prices so cheap right now, it's alsmost a crime not to upgrade or build. This is truly a great time to be a system builder.

Just remember all the craptastic mobos that came out with the first Core2's, as well as the fact that 4 or 8 GB of DDR3 costs more than a mortgage payment, to make you not so eager to be an early adopter.

Though I do agree with what people said about the prices going up after a drop. I had just moved on to the S939 from S754 to get a dual core. I got a cheap one then by the time I wanted to upgrade the fing cpus cost 220-250 on ebay. And the Core 2 Duos cost the same or even cheaper lol. I got my e6550 for 130. Then the ram was bs too. I wanted 2 gigs and that would cost me 200$ nearly. Though if you need to upgrade now, its a good time. If you can wait wait. I just upgraded my GPU and find that its all I need. So I will be waiting to upgrade.

Yes, many have mentioned it before... 775 is very interesting because it is very cheap, especially with DDR2.
If you want high-end, and the added price of Nehalem motherboards, DDR3 and all that is no issue, then wait. But if you just want a cheap system, 775 is where it's at, not Nehalem.

In fact, I have a 775 system that's about 2 years old now (early E6600), and I'm thinking of just getting a quadcore CPU upgrade for now. Then I might get a Nehalem when they're 'ticked' to 32 nm (and DDR3 prices should be low). So I'm planning to stick with 775 for a while.

if i can get a q9550 for a decent price in sept, or if a q9650 is released (like with the qx6700 / q6700 quads) at a decent price i will stick with s775 for a while. you are looking at around $1000 or more to bump up to nehalem in oct for cpu, mainboard and triple channel ddr3. that is, of course if intel does not lock the fsb on the non-extreme edition nehalems like they are going to do with lynnfield/havendale. but a couple years ago it was around $800 or more to go from amd to conroe (early adopters). so its not that big of a difference. if they do lock the fsb on "mainstream" nehalems, it will be back to amd for guys who want to overclock. just in time for the 45nm amd.

Back