RUMOR : Xbox 360 Price Cut in September ($199 Finally)

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...k-360-price-cuts-on-all-hardware-in-september

Early Sept price reduction on X360 hardware:
Arcade (no hard drive) to $199
Pro (60GB) to $299
Elite (120GB) to $399

We should also expect hardware and game bundles for all hardware versions coming in the fourth quarter, just in time for the holidays.

In addition, the mole revealed that the upcoming release of Forza 2 Platinum Hits will include all the DLC tracks that were made for the title, which is a good way to add value to the game.

The last time the mole talked to me, before he became a super-villain, he told me the 60GB model of the hardware was coming, and he was right on the money with that one. Those prices should be considered rumors, but I'd be very surprised if this wasn't accurate information. Very sexy pricing

Given the Arcade version doesn't have a HDD, but if true the 360 will become the most affordable console on the market. :eek:

edit. Keep in mind the Wii doesn't have a HDD either.

But the Wii has internal storage to save games. To save on an arcade you have to buy a criminally expensive memory card for $50

Edit: Still and awesome deal though. If I didn't already have a 360 I would be getting the new 60gb for sure.

That would be absolutely insane to have it priced $50 lower than the Wii.

It's not like the Wii is in stores anyways. They also doubt they will be in stores by this holiday season.

Wii is in stock at every store in my area. Targets. Walmarts, Bestbuy and Gamestops all have them on a daily basis. This is in Fresno Ca.

That's cool. I know BB was selling the 360 for $299(20gb) last week.

Wii is in stock at every store in my area. Targets. Walmarts, Bestbuy and Gamestops all have them on a daily basis. This is in Fresno Ca.

I've yet to see a Wii at any store ever in 3 years. And I go to BB, gamestop, etc on a weekly basis.

Also, I'm not talking about waiting at 5-6am for doors to open and pray they have a shipment in. I'm talking about walking in the store at a normal time and being able to buy one.

I've seen plenty of Wii systems on shelves. I've seen 'em on shelves for the last year (not counting the Xmas season).
For the 360, I'm wondering how many games will end up supporting the "install" function they've been talking about. If it's a lot - the Elite's a good buy.

For the 360, I'm wondering how many games will end up supporting the "install" function they've been talking about. If it's a lot - the Elite's a good buy.
All of them - past and present (confirmed). Which is pretty cool.

The thing is, this could really change things. I dont think this will affect Nintendo sales at all.. but the Sony/Microsoft competition is going to shift I think. When mom walks into Walmart and see's a PS3 for $399 then see's the 360 for $199, that is going to make a dent.

Putting aside most all of us are more hardcore users, the average consumer is going to bite at this. I mean for Christ sake, the 360 is getting to the PS2 pricing now. You can bet that stores are going to instruct their employees to upsell to the 360, thats guaranteeing future accessory sales.

In addition, its interesting to see what Microsoft is doing .Clearly they need to act in order to compete better against Sony, but .. it almost seems as if they're going cut-throat about it. I mean, Microsoft might even benefit from Sony being forced to lower its prices again.. by just bleeding them dry (Sony is losing money on the PS3). On the flip side if Sony doesn't do anything, Microsoft is going to gain tremendous market share. This seems like a major WIN for Microsoft either way.

I think Microsofts vision of the Arcade SKU is starting to take shape. Line up things like Lips not using downloadable content and allowing players to simply plug in their iPod/Zune (no HDD required), being able to stream Netflix through the 360 (no HDD required), included memory card, included HDMI, the "New Xbox Experience" (new dashboard, Avatars, Primetime) ... then slap a $199 price on it all and I think Microsoft is starting to brand itself better.

While the Arcade is missing some key components none of them are requirements, and the casual consumer is easily going to overlook them when they see a $200 price difference between the 360/PS3. Either way, Microsoft will succeed at 'getting people in the door'. They can choose to like upgrade using accessories later on, which is where MS will likely make up for the loss in price drop.

Also, the new processors and GPUs are here, and the Jasper boards are due to hit soon. Currently the 60GB Premiums are still recorded Falcon boards so this must mean that Microsoft chose to put the Jaspers in the Arcades making them even more affordable to manufacture.

God, the more I think of it this is getting entertaining. I guess time will tell, but I would love to be a fly on the wall at Sony today.

don't you think the ps3 has blu-ray going for it
i know if i had the make the choice again between 360 & ps3 i would still choose the ps3 because i watch alot of blu-ray movies on my 55" hdtv set
and also most of the same games on the ps3 anyways yea maybe the 360 has more titles exlusives but what exlusives do you really want that don't play better on the pc ? and look better on the pc ? i dunno.

i know if i had the make the choice again between 360 & ps3 i would still choose the ps3 because i watch alot of blu-ray movies on my 55" hdtv set
and also most of the same games on the ps3 anyways yea maybe the 360 has more titles exlusives but what exlusives do you really want that don't play better on the pc ? and look better on the pc ? i dunno.
Couple of points...

• The AV early adopter crowd isn't limitless, most people are content to wait for $150 BR players or live with upscaling.
  • Casual gamers don't tend to have psychotic PC gaming rigs. (Most PS3 owners I know don't either... this place is a special case though)
  • Price matters. The right games with the right price hardware will sell, a lot.

I am more interested if the 60gb hard drive will be sold separately like the 120gb is

But you're missing the point, a $199 console isn't aimed at the guy who wants to play Blu Ray movies on his 55" tv. Its targeting the mainstream market, the families that dont have money budgeted for next gen HD movie experiences.

Look at PS2 sales, they're still going. The $199 price point will not affect someone like you. It will however, affect the average Mom and Dad walking into the store for a Chrismas present. Believe it or not, this is where the money is.

Ironic, this was once a complaint for 360 owners . Now that we have the install option, it's a feature everyone is praising
Mandatory vs option. Actual performance increase vs doing it to just match the performance the 360 manages from playing it from a DVD.

Mandatory vs option. Actual performance increase vs doing it to just match the performance the 360 manages from playing it from a DVD.

Cmon now, you're stating when game data is saved on the PS3.Loading times is only on par with 360's DVD performance? As for it being mandatory to install game data, that is not always the case.

Assassin's Creed--------(Required) 1.3Gb
Battlefield BC------------(Required) 0.4GB
Civilization Revolution (Required) 0.65GB
Devil May Cry 4--------(Required) 4.83 GB
Dark Sector ------------(Required) 1.2 GB
Dynasty Warriors 6-----(Optional) 1.86GB
Eye of Judgement---------(Required) 1.9GB
Folklore-------------------(Optional) 1.04GB
Fear -----------------------(Required) 2.5GB
Full Auto 2---------------(Optional) 1.7 GB
GTA IV-------------------(Required) 3.3 GB
GT5 Prologue-----------(Required) 5.24GB
Genji: Days of Blade---(Optional) 2.14GB
Haze --------------------(Required) 3.82 GB
Hot Shots Golf 5 - ------(Required) 3.61Gb
Heavenly Sword--------(Required) 2.1GB
Medal Of Honor:Airborne-(Required) 1.95 GB
Mobile suit gundam: crossfire--(optional) 4.2GB
MLB 08 The Show--------(required) 2GB
Metal Gear Solid 4--------(required) 4.0GB +(optional) 1.1GB for MG online
Ninja Gaiden Sigma-----(Optional) 3.3Gb
Oblivion---------------------(Required) 4.6GB
Orange Box ----------------(Required) 0.6GB
Oblivion GOTY--------------(Required) 5+GB
Ratchet & Clank Future-(Required) 0.42GB
Resistance: Fall of Man--(Required) 0.22GB
Ridge Racer 7 -------------(Optional) 5GB
Spiderman 3---------------(Required) 2.6Gb
Skate ----------------------- (required) 2.6 GB
Soul Calibur IV-------------(Optional) 2.6GB
Time Crisis 4---------------(Optional) 2.45GB
Top Spin 3------------------(Required) 3.6 GB
Unreal Tournament 3 -(Optional) 2.4GB
Virtua Fighter 5--------(Optional) 2.34GB
Virtua Tennis 3----------(Optional) 3.40GB
Warhawk w/boosters-(Required) 1.1 GB
Warhawk w/o boosters(Required) 0.8GB
WWE Smackdown! vs. Raw 2008 (required) 2.4 GB
Yakuza 3-----------------(optional) 5GB
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182682

Ironic, this was once a complaint for 360 owners . Now that we have the install option, it's a feature everyone is praising

Mandatory semi install on just a few games =/= Voluntary full install on every game.

Cmon now, you're stating when game data is saved on the PS3.Loading times is only on par with 360's DVD performance? As for it being mandatory to install game data, that is not always the case.
In many cases for cross platform games? Yes.

Plus of course it's not always mandatory, and I've never had an issue with that (you did list 26 required installs vs 13 optional btw). Optional installs rock, in part because it usually means that they put the work in to reduce load times in the first place and the optional install just makes things even better.

In many cases for cross platform games? Yes.

Plus of course it's not always mandatory, and I've never had an issue with that (you did list 26 required installs vs 13 optional btw). Optional installs rock, in part because it usually means that they put the work in to reduce load times in the first place and the optional install just makes things even better.

My point still stands, (it seems like yesterday) everyone and their grandmother were whining about game installs. Regardless if it's optional or not, 360 owners are praising the fact that they can install game data on the HD. I see this as a tactic to drive up sales for 360's proprietary hard drive which is not extactly cheap ( $179 for 120GB) or perhaps for current owners to re-purchase a brand new 360.

My point still stands, (it seems like yesterday) everyone and their grandmother were whining about game installs. Regardless if it's optional or not, 360 owners are praising the fact that they can install game data on the HD. I see this as a tactic to drive up sales for 360's proprietary hard drive which is not extactly cheap ( $179 for 120GB) or perhaps for current owners to re-purchase a brand new 360.

And you still don't acknowledge the complete difference between the two options. It's not a 360 fan vs ps3 fan thing, it's a common sense thing, and anyone without fanboy blinders can see why the valid criticisms of the ps3 install scheme aren't the same as the xbox issue.

Now, if you want to complain about the cost of adding HD space to each console, well we can go there, and that's a different discussion where the ps3 wins hands down. Doesn't matter if you get a 500 gig HD on the ps3, you can't install every game you own on it.

A $199 xbox360 without a hard drive will play every xbox360 game and has a memory card for saving. It also allows high definition gaming at a great price with a huge selection of games in every genre. Although, you will need to pick up a $10-20 HDMI cable for HD. And if they wanted to pick up a hard drive later, no problem. It really would be a great option this holiday season for any gamer.

Anyways back to playing Geometry Wars 2.... I am addicted.

You need to stop, really.

I think it's going to be cool to be able to install games onto my hard drive. And the cool thing is that even if my hard drive gets full, I can still play the games that don't have required installs.

Do you get it now?

And you still don't acknowledge the complete difference between the two options. It's not a 360 fan vs ps3 fan thing, it's a common sense thing, and anyone without fanboy blinders can see why the valid criticisms of the ps3 install scheme aren't the same as the xbox issue.

Now, if you want to complain about the cost of adding HD space to each console, well we can go there, and that's a different discussion where the ps3 wins hands down. Doesn't matter if you get a 500 gig HD on the ps3, you can't install every game you own on it.

No, I see the difference quite clearly.thank you. Partial install (PS3) vs Full game backup (optional).(360) I am acknowledging the fact there was a big fuss over installing data on a hard drive prior to this annoucement. Don't even try to asscociate me with that fanboy spiel.Unlike yourself, I have both

papasmurfalotuo9.jpg

denze.jpg

Anyway... yeah, of course it's a tactic to increase hard drive sales. A bloody clever one at that.

The $99 thing is actually supposed to be some sort of upgrade pack for core / arcade users which comes with:

· 60GB Hard Drive
· 3 Months of Xbox Live
· Xbox 360 Wired Headset
· Xbox 360 Ethernet Cable (same one that is included with Pro and Elite)

The install is a pretty huge advantage on SC4 at least.

No, I see the difference quite clearly.thank you. Partial install (PS3) vs Full game backup (optional).(360) I am acknowledging the fact there was a big fuss over installing data on a hard drive prior to this annoucement. Don't even try to asscociate me with that fanboy spiel.Unlike yourself, I have both

papasmurfalotuo9.jpg

denze.jpg

That's great that you have a ps3. I'll be getting one myself at the end of the month. I never saw a single post that said that the idea of installation on a hard drive was a bad thing, only about the implementation, or requirement thereof. Maybe you just didn't understand the criticism back then either.

Not seen the comparisons yet. Any links?

Haven't made any, just from first hand usage. Not that comprehensive though. I guess I could uninstall and break out the stopwatch though. For reference, I was referring to PS3 install vs not installed. Not PS3 vs 360 as I have no clue about the 360.

The 120 GB $400 360 will probably be one of my purchases this year to replace my aging unit (1.5 years & probably 1500 hours of gaming/movie watching). I'm getting tired of losing game time to disc read errors! Then again, with the new install option, I might have to ever worry about disc read errors again. Will be a bitch with my 20GB drive though.

I'm ultra excited about the game install option. I only wish I had the same freedom to add whatever size HD I wanted to my 360 as I do my PS3.

The complaint on the PS3 was because you HAD to install certain games before you could play them AT ALL, and that there was generally not an option otherwise. The only thing 360 owners were bitching about was the inability to have the option to do anything with the hard drive, besides save games on it.

With the 360, the sheer fact that I won't have to listen to that sonofabitch spin up and stay spun the entire time I play a game will be more than enough reward, even if devs still have to program games as if there is no HD present to meet MS's internal development criteria.

Improvements, GO!

if sony drops the price on the 40gb ps3 to 299.99
it will be clearly the better deal

Back