Coming Catalyst 8.8 to have better crossfire and working powerplay

Wolfkin

[H]ard|Gawd
Early reports from hardware-infos.com on the Catalyst 8.8 says it will have better support and performance increase for crossfire and working PowerPlay 2.0.
They say tests see as much as a 12% increase with crossfire HD 4850.

Translated link

EDIT: Use beta driver in next post at your own risk, article above is about official 8.8 drivers, should be out at August 12th or the next few days.

I wonder what driver version the X2 will use, 8.9? Or the newly 8.8?

Just tried these and it looks like it fixes the second display blackout with crossfire and dual monitors. Both 3dmark06 and Vantage flicker like crazy with these and I still get water corruption in Vantage.

I'm running these now with my P45/4850 CF setup, seems like much smoother Crysis performance (though could just be placebo I suppose) and the rolling/flickering issue I've been posting about here seems less prominent. Really only noticing it in specific situations in a handful of games now.

Sounds promising. ATI is really pushing for more reliable/working crossfire solutions, just the drivers 4870x2 needs me think :)

I wonder what driver version the X2 will use, 8.9? Or the newly 8.8?

Most likely no supported driver will be available on x2 release date if they follow the gameplan they used for the 4850/70 release. They will slap some patch on an existing driver just enough to make it work and shove it out the door. I look forward to more stable and better performing drivers in the near future because the 4850's in crossfire are amazing.

Just tried these and it looks like it fixes the second display blackout with crossfire and dual monitors. Both 3dmark06 and Vantage flicker like crazy with these and I still get water corruption in Vantage.

I ran dual displays on my 4850cf with hotfix drivers with no issue. I have recently upgraded my motherboard to an x48 solution for the dual pcie2.0 x16 bandwidth and had to rebuild vista so I have not tried hooking in the other monitor on the 8.7's that I used for this build. I'm sure it will be fine since it worked fine for me on the 8.6 hotfix drivers.

This is not the 8.8 beta. It's the 4870X2 press driver, meaning it's tweaked specifically for the 4870X2 and nothing else. Don't use this if you don't have a 4870X2, which none of you do.

Again, this is NOT the 8.8 beta. Cat 8.8 is version 8.522, this is 8.52.2. They're not the same thing. Don't use this driver.

yeah didnt do anything for me

infact i got the water corruption in vantage with them, which i didnt have with 8.7

I'm glad I don't play that Vantage game, cuz these drivers are a huge improvement for me in everything else.

gained about 1000 points in vantage with the right ones

only use it to test stability, overclocks and make sure new drivers are an improvement and not a downgrade

It fixed my dual display and crossfire bug on my 3870's so it has bug fixes for other cards in it.

This is not the 8.8 beta. It's the 4870X2 press driver, meaning it's tweaked specifically for the 4870X2 and nothing else. Don't use this if you don't have a 4870X2, which none of you do.

Again, this is NOT the 8.8 beta. Cat 8.8 is version 8.522, this is 8.52.2. They're not the same thing. Don't use this driver.

It fixed my dual display and crossfire bug on my 3870's so it has bug fixes for other cards in it.
Because it's based on 8.52 which is the foundation for the final Cat 8.8, which will be 8.522.

What I'm trying to say is that this driver is not intended to be used with anything other than the 4870X2, so it may have issues with other cards.

No speed increase here, but Crysis (Nature mod) feels better, Less framerate drops on 4870 CF.

Back