ATI and NVIDIA in same rig?

schoenda

Gawd
I am curious, has anybody been able to get VISTA running with an ATI card for video and an nVidia card for physx? I hear vista wont allow this d/t some driver issues...I am thinking about upgrading to a 4870x2 and it would be nice to get some more mileage from my 8800 as a ppu.

Great question and I've been asking the same thing myself. I'm looking to upgrade to a 4850 and keep my 8600GT as a dedicated Physx / Cuda processor.

According to an article on guru3d, you can do this with 2 different nvidia cards. They used a GX280 and a 9600gt.

Simple answer is no. The complicated answer is maybe. If there is any way for the Nvidia card to be not recognized as a graphics card maybe. However you cannot mix ATI with Nvidia under Vista. The unified driver architecture prevents that. I have tried to do it before and failed. I just bought a HD4870 because I want to run 3 monitors and the 8800GTS 512 wont work with my HD2600XT.

Just in case there is still any question allow me to piss all over your hopes. The following is quoted from Nvidia costomer support:

Hello David,

Thank you for the update.

Please be informed that it is not possible to have both an ATI card and an NVIDIA card in the same computer. Therefore, I am sorry to say that it is not possible to have an ATI card as a GPU and an NVIDIA card as a PPU.

Please feel free to contact us for further questions.

Best Regards,
Phani
NVIDIA Customer Care

Are you positive? Not a vista issue?

Why would Nvidia shoot themselves in the foot? If I was an ATI owner I could still buy an Nvidia card for a ppu...but nooooo cant do it...isnt that shutting themselves off from a substantial market? Or do they think everybody is going to get rid of thier 4870x2 just so they can get physx in a few games. Thats nuts!

This is purely a software limitation forced by nVidia.
That is completely untrue. Please stop spreading bad information. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

If multiple graphics adapters are present in a system, all of them must use the same WDDM driver. If there are two graphics adapters with WDDM drivers from two different manufacturers, then Windows will disable one of them. The VGA adapter will be enabled, and the second device will be disabled.

Wouldn't it still be possible with an alternate set of drivers that detects the card as a PPU rather than a GPU?

Wouldn't it still be possible with an alternate set of drivers that detects the card as a PPU rather than a GPU?

YES! This is what Nvidia needs to make...then, BOOM! They open up all current ATI gpu owners as potential Nvidia ppu purchasers.

On the other hand Microsoft really needs to get with the program here as well and allow dual drivers in VISTA

Har de har, yet another reason to NOT "upgrade" to vista.

Long live Windows XP! (Vista suffers from "good enough" syndrome - XP is good enough, so why upgrade?)

--neg

Har de har, yet another reason to NOT "upgrade" to vista.

Long live Windows XP! (Vista suffers from "good enough" syndrome - XP is good enough, so why upgrade?)

--neg

98 was "good enough" back in the day as well, yet here you are using XP.

Back