Best 8gb ram ?

well i can say my OCZ plats have been good. donno on the overclocking as i have not tried it.

the GeIL 1066 ram i originaly purchased was rated for 2.35-2.45vdimm :eek: and killed my first phenom. THANKS NEWEGG! :rolleyes: for listing the wrong voltage.

I got 2 packs of 4GB (2x2) g.skill 1066. I like them a lot :)

EDIT: I suggest you look up specs on your mobo and see if anyone has had any issues filling all 4 DIMMs. Some people can't drop 8 gigs because their motherboard is finicky when it comes to using all available slots.

im using all available slots now with my 4GB Corsair XMS2-8500 DDR2-1066 and its been working fine.
i dont know about 8gb though but thanks for the suggestion. so i take it not too many have 8gb since i havent gotten a lot of answers here.

here is another question. should i try and get faster ram too , meaning faster than the 1066 ?

Currently, unless you are using some VERY memory hungry applications such as CAD, VM wares, graphics, or video editing programs, etc designed for 64 bit operation, 8gb is not showing any advantages at all over 4gb.

I believe a 2 x 2gb kit of 1066 would do nicely.

thats what i plain to buy. never hurts to have too much pc power... :D this way i give my wife my 4gb and then i get 8gb. we both win. im wanting to buy today-tomorrow so im trying to find where/what to buy 8gb.

Not under Vista....

I think this is blown way out of proportion, particularly by people who don't understand how memory allocation is performed and represented.

Yes, the memory meter in Vista indicates a lot more allocated memory when doing the same thing as an XP system. It's counted and used differently.

What use is "free RAM" on a computer system? If you've got 4GB of RAM, the OS should be using all 4GB for SOMETHING useful at all times - even if it is just filesystem cache. Vista has started to use more memory to pre-fetch, cache and the like than previous MS OSs, and indicates it's use in the memory usage graph.

Most UNIX operating system perpetually show very low "free" memory, but the common utilities generally make it clear what is actually allocated by running programs, what is shared, what is cache, what is paged etc...

Just because Vista's memory meter will swell to occupy any amount of memory you throw at it doesn't mean than it is using all of that memory for programs, that you need that much memory in order for it to run, or that there is insufficient memory available for future programs to launch.

If you don't have any particularly memory hungry app habits (ie. Photoshop, video production, certain games, virtualization) Vista will run great in 2GB. If 2GB isn't enough because of your choice of applications it isn't Vista's fault alone.

Of course Vista does actually use more RAM than XP, but not to the degree that every self-designated "expert" touts when they look at the resource meters.

I'm watching this thread because I need to bump to 8GB as well and am afraid of the four slot finicky monster. I do a lot of VM work and tons of multitasking. :D

I think this is blown way out of proportion, particularly by people who don't understand how memory allocation is performed and represented.

Yes, the memory meter in Vista indicates a lot more allocated memory when doing the same thing as an XP system. It's counted and used differently.

What use is "free RAM" on a computer system? If you've got 4GB of RAM, the OS should be using all 4GB for SOMETHING useful at all times - even if it is just filesystem cache. Vista has started to use more memory to pre-fetch, cache and the like than previous MS OSs, and indicates it's use in the memory usage graph.

Most UNIX operating system perpetually show very low "free" memory, but the common utilities generally make it clear what is actually allocated by running programs, what is shared, what is cache, what is paged etc...

Just because Vista's memory meter will swell to occupy any amount of memory you throw at it doesn't mean than it is using all of that memory for programs, that you need that much memory in order for it to run, or that there is insufficient memory available for future programs to launch.

If you don't have any particularly memory hungry app habits (ie. Photoshop, video production, certain games, virtualization) Vista will run great in 2GB. If 2GB isn't enough because of your choice of applications it isn't Vista's fault alone.

Of course Vista does actually use more RAM than XP, but not to the degree that every self-designated "expert" touts when they look at the resource meters.

I was not implying that just because the memory meter appears to take a lot more than XP that 8 gigs is warranted. I think the 8 gigs is useful because of the of superfetch. And with prices the way they are now with DDR2 I feel it is certainly more viable to go the 8 gig route, as I have.

i didn't make this thread to argue about whether or not i "need" 8gb. its like is said. i gave my wife my 4gb in her PC to speed it up. I have to buy ram to put back in my PC so i might as well get 8gb.

i do multitask quite often... not only that, but I'm sure they will start to take more advantage of muticore processors, ram, and video card ram over the years. this makes it a little more future proof.

i was just wondering if anyone else has 8gb , if so what they have. i want something reliable if possible and with a good warranty. I'm probably just going to buy the same thing i had only 8gb....... 1066 dual channel ddr2 corsair dominator ram .

Running 4 up, I don't see any need to buy anything faster than 1066. In fact, you may not even be able to hit 1066 4 up depending on your MOBO and chipset.

my specs are in my sig and im not overclocked on anything.

~1000W Silverstone Strider Power Supply
~ASUS StrikerExtreme Mobo
~QX6850 Core 2 Extreme Edition w/Maingear Arctic 120mm CPU Water Cooling System
~4GB Corsair XMS2-8500 DDR2-1066
~2- Western Digital Raptor Enterprise 150GB 10K RPM 16MB Cache
~All-in-One Internal USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer
~2- LiteOn 20x Dual Layer DVD±RW w/ LightScribe
~2- GeForce 8800 Ultra in SLI w/Maingear Arctic Liquid GPU Cooler
~Swiftech Apogee Drive series pump, radiators and resevoir, danger den GPU blocks
~Pics of my PC-----> http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/562113783nCGKHM

i'm running 8 gig of OCZ Reaper 1066 in my rig and loving every second of it.

yeah..buttttt, say that again after ive been using the same hardware without problems for a couple years
:D

Kinda of a silly argument/excuse when most of us have run overclocked systems for years without a problem. Plus the amount you spent on your QX6850 is more than I spent on my entire system (in sig), and my Q6600 is clocked higher :p. Overclocking is a way for us poor folk to get the most bang for our buck. Sensible overclocking for the most part does not noticeably decrease the lifespan of components, at least not before the part is obsolete anyway in most cases.

I currently have 8 gigs of Gskill and it's been fantastic, didn't hurt my OC or anything with all 4 ram slots full.

Kinda of a silly argument/excuse when most of us have run overclocked systems for years without a problem. Plus the amount you spent on your QX6850 is more than I spent on my entire system (in sig), and my Q6600 is clocked higher :p. Overclocking is a way for us poor folk to get the most bang for our buck. Sensible overclocking for the most part does not noticeably decrease the lifespan of components, at least not before the part is obsolete anyway in most cases.

I currently have 8 gigs of Gskill and it's been fantastic, didn't hurt my OC or anything with all 4 ram slots full.

its your choice to overclock. i choose not to. i got liquid cooing simply because its more effective and quiter. its definitely not a silly arguement, i cant tell you how many times ive read about someone who fryed their processor or videocard because they wanted to OC it.

I dont NEED to overclock...thats the point. thats also why i have two 8800 ultras. i can play any game i have at max.

ive looked at the G. Skill ram a few times now. im curious but im wondering if they Corsair 1066 dual channel ddr2 is good. thats what i have the 4g of; figure i would just buy the same only Four 2gb sticks = 8gb.

Ya, asus boards picky about ram. I just ran into that my self while trying to go from 2x1 to 4x1 OCZ. Turns out my motherboard didnt even support the ocz stuff. I just got a kit of Corsair 2x2 DHX stuff. When My new bios chip comes in to day (update killed the other one trying to get 4 sticks to work), I will let you know so you can do 4x2. It was the kit Corsair recommended for my board.

its your choice to overclock. i choose not to.

Fair enough, I respect your right to do what you want with your hardware. Just saying, overclocking is very safe as long as you don't make stupid mistakes (throwing too much voltage at it, use inadequate cooling, don't check for stability using Prime95/Orthos/whatever, etc). It's also relatively quick and easy, and would give you a noticeable increase in performance.

But, if you don't want to, then I'm certainly not going to hold it against you.

Ya, asus boards are bad for 4 sticks of ram.

Careful with generalizations on a forum where people come looking for advice.

YOUR Asus board sucked at running 4up. So far my P5B-E is doing fine. There are a heck of a lot of parts that are different between our series so don't assume that the ASUS sticker was the reason it didn't work.

Careful with generalizations on a forum where people come looking for advice.

YOUR Asus board sucked at running 4up. So far my P5B-E is doing fine. There are a heck of a lot of parts that are different between our series so don't assume that the ASUS sticker was the reason it didn't work.

I didn't assume anything. However, its pretty common for asus boards to be picky with memory. I've been buying them long enough to know better to look up / check the compatibility first. However, I will edit my statement to be more user friendly.

its your choice to overclock. i choose not to. i got liquid cooing simply because its more effective and quiter. its definitely not a silly arguement, i cant tell you how many times ive read about someone who fryed their processor or videocard because they wanted to OC it.
FWIW, the only way to "fry" a CPU is with a cooling failure and/or excessive voltage. In many cases users can get a decent OC at stock voltages.

I dont NEED to overclock...thats the point. thats also why i have two 8800 ultras. i can play any game i have at max.

ive looked at the G. Skill ram a few times now. im curious but im wondering if they Corsair 1066 dual channel ddr2 is good. thats what i have the 4g of; figure i would just buy the same only Four 2gb sticks = 8gb.

For what its worth, I don't overclock anymore either. I am tired of having unstable machines (or machines that are on the brink of instability). If I want a faster machine, I will buy a faster machine.

For what its worth, I don't overclock anymore either. I am tired of having unstable machines (or machines that are on the brink of instability). If I want a faster machine, I will buy a faster machine.

that is basically what im afraid of. ive never OC'd anything myself before, dont know how in other words. just figure im more reliable and safe without it.

You guys simply need to check the motherboard manufacturers supported RAM lists. That's what I did yesterday and ordered G Skill 8GB. I just hope it all works right. lol

You guys simply need to check the motherboard manufacturers supported RAM lists. That's what I did yesterday and ordered G Skill 8GB. I just hope it all works right. lol

The best idea is to check with the memory maker. They test more memory than MOBO makers do as memory QVLs from MOBO makers are typically very incomplete.

ok so ive got it narrowed down to OCZ tech or Corsair. which do you guys think i should go with?

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

OR

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

OR if they OCZ heat sinks dont fit.

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298

Back