Known 4870x2 compatibility Issues - Post it Here

BigCactus

Gawd
Ok, so far there are some definite compatibility issues with the 4870x2 that people need to be aware of, and so far it has been isolated to certain abit and dfi x38/x48 motherboards.

4870x2 may have possible issues with:

****Abit IX38 QuadGT****

Reported Issues
: Blank screen
http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=141308&highlight=4870x2

Possible Solution: Use older bios version 10 according to this thread:
http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?p=362667#post362667
I have confirmed Bios 10 on the IX38 Quad GT to solve the boot issue. I have now confirmed bios 11 to be working with the 4870x2, and have found this bios to be the best thus far, easily ocing to 3.6 on my Q6600 G0. I have confirmed bios 12, 13, and 14 to suffer from the no display issue.

****And possibly these x38/x48 DFI boards according to hardwarecanucks:****

LANPARTY DK X38-T2R: X38D725

LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB: X38D7251

LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS: X48DD725

LANPARTY LT X38-T2R: X38AD725

LANPARTY LT X48-T2R: X48AD725

LANPARTY LT X48-T3RS: X48GD725

LANPARTY UT X48-T2R: X48CD725

LANPARTY UT X48-T3RS: X48BD725

Reported Issues:"Basically, what happened was that we installed it into the board and a BIOS splash screen would not display even though the LED indicators told us everything was booting fine. There just wasn’t any video signal coming through the card..." - hardwarecanucks

Solution: hardwarecanucks said to have completely resolve this issue by updating to the latest beta bios for their DFI board. Read the article for details:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/9225-palit-radeon-hd-4870-x2-2gb-video-card-review-22.html

****Foxconn BlackOps X48 LGA 775 Intel X48****

Reported Issues: No boot / display.

Solution: Member BorkenNails states bios g30 bios fixes issue. Might want to confirm this with someone else before downloading that bios however, but you can Download the G30 bios here:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=7A3F1G30.rar

Post other known compatibility issues and possible solutions in this thread to help other 4870x2 users out, thanks. :)

Just a quick post that RGone over at DFI Club has received some good news that DFI Taiwan has sent him some .zip files for a BIOS fix and that we in the US might see them by Wed 8/20 or very soon after. Please visit the DFI Club Global Support Forum website and this thread here . :cool:

No issues with my Asus Rampage x48 however it took me a while to figure out the video output was from the BOTTOM card and NOT the top card i am used to :)

No compatibility issues with my setup, just a little hot. I see some artifacts with Crysis that I can't say aren't related to settings. Still working that out since I got the card so recently. my ambient room temp is over 84F, so that is a problem I have to fix, lol.
Z

I'm also getting some artifacting with my asus rampage in Crysis. Not to bad but noticeable. I figured the card was just running crazy hot (it does) but I hope if it's a known problem it gets fixed......

-dave

Just a quick post that RGone over at DFI Club has received some good news that DFI Taiwan has sent him some .zip files for a BIOS fix and that we in the US might see them by Wed 8/20 or very soon after. Please visit the DFI Club Global Support Forum website and this thread here . :cool:

Good looking out. That is some awesome support by DFI. Hope to see some support with Abit.

I'll be getting my visiontek 4870x2 tomorrow for all that have the Abit IX38 Quad GT, so I'll be sure to post my results. I'm using bios 12 right now...so I'm going to install the 4870x2 with bios 12 first and will get back and post my results. :)

im running a gigabyte p35dsr3 right now... Im using a older Bios cause of the problems guys were having updating it... Do you think im going to have any problems with my x2 when it gets here TOMORROOWWWWW(doing the happy gpu dance as i say that lol)... Or do you think the older bios should run fine?

I think people should adjust their fan speed via their ati .xml profiles to eliminate the possibility of the fan running to low at idle/load. Heck run it at 80% just for the heck of it to see if it will start artifacting. Also remember how many watts this thing consumes at load...that's a lot of heat...so try removing the side panels off your case and see if it will still artifact. Additionally, the 8.8 betas are out, so give those a shot.

I think people should adjust their fan speed via their ati .xml profiles to eliminate the possibility of the fan running to low at idle/load. Heck run it at 80% just for the heck of it to see if it will start artifacting. Also remember how many watts this thing consumes at load...that's a lot of heat...so try removing the side panels off your case and see if it will still artifact. Additionally, the 8.8 betas are out, so give those a shot.

Isn't it more logical to NOT modify the xml file just on the off chance something goes wrong and the card overheats because you've removed the automatic safety feature of the fan going 100% when it gets too hot?

Unless of course you're running the fan at close to 100% to start with... but if its anything like the 4870, I couldn't bare more than 35% at idle before the noise started drilling into my brain. :p

Not sure, just really going by what I experienced with the 4850 / 4870. Those cards however do just fine with the fan at 35% in my poorly ventilated rocketfish case...that's why I would think 80% would suffice for the x2...but hey, I'll get my card this afternoon...and from what I gather I'll be lucky if my pc even boots thanks to my motherboard :( . Who knows, maybe the visiontek cards will be less buggy....:cool:

Well Bios 12 doesn't work on the abit ix38 quad gt...it has the no display issue. I have confirmed that bios 10 does resolve the no display issue. I've gamed for a while on cod4 and so far no issues.

Can't tell if this is an isolated incident or...

As of today, the website-download ATI Catalyst 8.8 Drivers do NOT support my VisionTek 4870x2. I'm told this may not apply to your 4870x2, but if you come up with this error there is a reason for it.

Error: INF not found on install

Solution: Hopefully will be fixed in time? For the time being use the drivers on the CD that came with the card, which I am to understand are 8.8 betas with a modded INF to allow installation.

For more information: See Nenu's posting in the Catalyst 8.8 thread.

I downloaded the 8.8 betas and didn't have a problem with installation. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers...then I used driver sweeper to remove any old traces of ati/nvidia drivers. After that I installed the 4870x2....rebooted, then installed the 8.8 beta driver without a hitch.

I downloaded the 8.8 betas and didn't have a problem with installation. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers...then I used driver sweeper to remove any old traces of ati/nvidia drivers. After that I installed the 4870x2....rebooted, then installed the 8.8 beta driver without a hitch.

I think the betas are fine (that's what I'm using now) its the release version that could be borked.

I'm gonna try the drivers on the cd eventually. I haven't had issues with the betas so far. I've only been playing cod though.

I tried the official 8.8 and did get the weird data corruption thing. I would say avoid the 8.8s. My card is also getting considerably hot it seems on auto mode. This thing is going to 100c :eek:, and it boosts the fan up fast and goes back to to 91 or so. That seems a bit strange. I'm wondering if I got a bad apple. I did put stg-1 on this thing so I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Perhaps it needs more time to cure.

I tried the official 8.8 and did get the weird data corruption thing. I would say avoid the 8.8s. My card is also getting considerably hot it seems on auto mode. This thing is going to 100c :eek:, and it boosts the fan up fast and goes back to to 91 or so. That seems a bit strange. I'm wondering if I got a bad apple. I did put stg-1 on this thing so I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Perhaps it needs more time to cure.

My temps on auto stay around 83C for my hottest gpu when in COD4. Hottest idle gpu is 65C. I was going to MX-2 paste on it but now I might just leave it alone.

Problem seems to have went away for now, especially since I reverted back to the 8.8 beta drivers. My idle temps are around 59c and cod4 about 81c. I was getting data corruption issues with the official 8.8 drivers in vista 64, temp issues, etc.. Stay away from the official 8.8 drivers, they will give you problems on vista 64.

Problem seems to have went away for now, especially since I reverted back to the 8.8 beta drivers. My idle temps are around 59c and cod4 about 81c. I was getting data corruption issues with the official 8.8 drivers in vista 64, temp issues, etc.. Stay away from the official 8.8 drivers, they will give you problems on vista 64.

Thanks, I am running Vista 64bit and the 8.8 Betas... I will stick with those.

An ASUS 4870 non X2 will not work properly in a ASUS P5NSLI board, so I bet an X2 won't either. So add this to the list.

I had a customer with issues with that combo and the ASUS tech said it wasn't ever going to work.

Well I'm just glad I don't have to upgrade to a new motherboard. I can't believe an older bios for my abit ix38 quad gt fixes the issue. I think the problem is definitely in the bios...so it's all about who has good support.

Update and good news for abit IX38 Quad GT owners. Bios 11 works with the 4870x2, which is great because bios 10 still had the bios menu freezes. Also a FYI, I've tested bios 12, 13, and 14 and all failed to produce a display with the 4870x2. Additionally, bios 11 corrects the menu freezing when entering the bios menu from bios 10...and everything seems to run smooth. Running a Q6600 @ 3.6 and ddr2 @ 800 4-4-4-12 without a hitch. :D

Never mind, bios 12 does work with the 4870x2 on the abit ix38 quad gt. Not sure why it didn't work the first time I tried it. Bios 12 is the latest official release by abit so it looks like this board is a good choice after all with the 4870x2.

Back