How To: 4870X2 Fan Control and Overclocking Profiles

Psychlone

n00b
A lot of us are experiencing temperatures that we're not comfortable with on our new ATi cards, and while ATi says that these temps are acceptable, some of us disagree.

There are a couple different ways to control the heat...let's explore them:

Replace the Thermal Compound

Removing the reference cooler isn't for the lighthearted...one slip-up and you've destroyed the most powerful piece of equipment you own, as well as negated your warranty. Removing the reference cooler isn't recommended, but can be done if you go slowly and thoroughly.
I personally found a ~12*C drop in idle and load temps by replacing the thermal compound on the 2 GPUs with Arctic Silver 5. I also removed the thermal pads on the memory ICs and the VDDC chips (the long, narrow ones) and used AS5 there as well...only one problem - the heatplate on back-side of the card doesn't have risers for the memory chips underneath, so removing the thermal pads on the back of the card isn't going to help, in fact, it would make the temps on those chips higher, unless you have some little heatsinks that you can put on them.

Here, you can see some of the thermal pads material on the underside of the reference cooler. (I removed those and used a thin layer of AS5 instead on almost everything there) I didn't happen to take an angle shot, but on the bottom of the reference cooler, there are little 'risers' for the memory ICs - these will make good contact with the memory ICs themselves, so removing the thermal pads shouldn't lead to any problems, although if those little risers aren't quite tall enough on yours, they may not make good enough contact and not dissipate the heat as well as the pads do - you all getting that I've got something against Thermal Pads? ;)

By Psychlone

For those a little less adventurous, you can control the fan speeds and core/memory speeds through Profiles made in CCC and tweaked in Notepad.

Creating Profiles in CCC

Open up Catalyst Control Center
Click on Profiles at the top of the screen and then select Profiles Manager

Create as many profiles as you wish, but at least 2 - I have 1 for surfing (little to no graphic need), 1 for gaming, and 1 for benchmarking and 1 that just the standard settings.
As you create your profiles, ensure that ATI Overdrive is selected in the Composition window (it's the only thing we're going to do in here is just create - we'll tweak the settings in later)

Tweaking your new Profiles
Once you've created your Profiles, navigate to
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
Where %username% is YOUR username.
You will probably have to ENABLE 'SHOW Hidden Files and Folders' through Folder Options.
Inside there, you're going to see the names of the Profiles you created in CCC.

Right-click on a Profile and choose Open With NOTEPAD

This is what you're going to see:

By Psychlone

The specific lines for fan speeds are:
Code:
        <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
          <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
          <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="1421" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="27" />
        </Feature>

If you want to set your fan speed to a specific speed all the time instead of dynamic, first change the <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" /> to "Manual"
...And then change the value of "27" in the line <Property name="Want" value="27" /> to whatever value you want (1 - 100) - obviously being the percentage of fan speed you want to run.

There's a bit more that we can do in the Profiles .XML files. We can also change the core clocks and the memory clocks.

For this guide, I'm using the Sapphire HD4870X2 card - so the core and memory values will be different for cards that are not the 4870X2.

To change the Core and Memory Speeds

The specific lines for changing the core and memory speeds are:
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="75000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="75000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="75000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="90000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />
        </Feature>

The Want_0 through 2 in each of the "ClockTarget" fields can be changed to whatever value you've determined is safe for your specific card.
75000 is the stock core clock of 750MHz, 90000 is the stock memory clock of 900MHz for the 4870X2 (other cards will differ)
Changing these values can be dangerous - DO NOT SET VALUES HIGHER THAN YOU HAVE DETERMINED SAFE!!!
If you decide to change these values, put it in like this:
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="80000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="80000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="80000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="99900" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="99900" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="99900" />
        </Feature>
This would obviously give a core clock of 800MHz and a memory clock of 999MHz.
This may or may not be stable for your card, so last warning, don't just copy these settings into a profile and set it - you can damage your card for good!

Here, you can also UNDERCLOCK your card to help lower temps while doing mundane things like surfing that don't take hardly any graphical power.

In one of your Profiles, change the core to 250MHz and memory to 450MHz. This is obviously going to use less GPU and Memory power, thus lowering your heat considerably below the stock 500/500 for 2D mode.

Running the 250/450 clocks along with a 33% fan speed on my 4870X2 has shown that idle speeds have dropped from 80*C to 62*C
[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2997/atigpuzck7.jpg]
By Psychlone

You may select any Profile that you wish 'On The Fly' - meaning that you can switch between profiles whenever you wish. With Profiles, it's also possible to set your 3D driver settings for specific games...just set the 3D settings you want in CCC and when you save the Profile, ensure that 3D is also checked...this will save your entire driver 3D profile along with your overclock.

For those that don't dare or want to play in .XML files
You can also control fan speeds in EXPERTOOL ATi

By Psychlone

The only drawback here, is that if you set it to Fixed Speed, you only have adjustments from 50% to 100%, nothing lower...might be a bit loud and a bit overkill for surfing the net!
The program can also adjust your core and memory speeds as well (among other things, but no driver tweaks are included)

This guide was really written for fan speeds, but adding the lines of code for adjusting core and memory temps was only 1 extra step in the same .XML file, so I decided to add it here.
In no way is this supposed to be a complete guide on overclocking ATi cards - it's not what I intended to do and why I haven't referenced RivaTuner, ATT, ATITool, or any other programs that are capable of forcing driver settings/overclocking.

Remember that no one but yourself is responsible for creating a profile that has unstable settings...I will not be held responsible for what you do with this information.

Hope that this guide helps you all out!

Psychlone

Nice guide. Not too sure if as5 is such a good idea to put on a graphics card...especially since as5 is slightly conductive and capacitive. I'd use ceramique to be on the safe side. And ceramique will last forever...as opposed to as5 which I believe may need to be changed out every now and then...not sure...but I think I read this some where.

Nah - Most recently, I've had AS5 on my HiS HD2900XT since the day it came out...running a strong overclock for well into 2 years with no change in thermal paste or temps as of yet.

At some point, I know that AS5 will indeed need to be changed, and considering the high amount of heat that GPUs put out, that day will probably come sooner than it would if changing out the thermal compound on a CPU, but nonetheless, AS5 is really, really good.

Arctic Silver Ceramique also does a great job - but it doesn't give the same thermal cooling as AS5 does - only by a few degrees, but still...

Anyway, I've used AS5 in all my applications (voltmodded Radeons all the way back to the 8 series) and have never had a problem with having to replace it.

Psychlone

Is it possible to replace the 4870X2 reference cooler with a better one? I have done that to my ATi 1900XT (single GPU) because the original cooler fan was too noisy.
But now it seems to me that there is not enough room for two custom coolers, because the 2 GPUs are too close to each others. So this is a problem if we can only use the orignal ATi cooler/fan, which I believe is as noisy as all ATi coolers.

The main problem may be that the custom coolers available today are designed for single GPU graphic cards :(

Nice guide. Not too sure if as5 is such a good idea to put on a graphics card...especially since as5 is slightly conductive and capacitive. I'd use ceramique to be on the safe side.
Agreed. The few degrees you might gain using AS5 isn't worth the risk for me. I only use ceramique.

i cant be bothers to mess witht he fans of paste

right now im sitting at 66/50/54/47 idle and gaming its more like 88/72/86/74

The AS5 dropped my full-load to 76*C...Ceramique may not deliver that, but just could last longer...

No one needs to tear apart their new card like I did, it's just 1 option of several that does work wonders!

Psychlone

Why not MX-2 instead of the slightly capacitive AS5? I know some want to use ceramique to avoid any chance of damage but seems like MX-2 would be better. I am thinking of attempting this on my 4870x2. Just not sure if its worth it or not.

I've never personally used MX2, so I can't say anything about it - I only speak from experience.

As for if it's worth it or not, that's really a question that needs to be looked at subjectively...ATi says the temps we're seeing with the X2 cards is within parameters...we're just not used to seeing anything that high. I've found that it really helps the overall temps though...idle and load temps decreasing even by a few degrees Celcius can't be a bad thing, right?!
The only danger here is human error - slipping with your screwdriver or ripping the thermal pads (of which, most don't matter anyway since they'll make good contact with the reference cooler's underside - and a thin layer of thermal paste.

Once you're under the reference cooler, you can clearly see for yourselves just what's going to make contact with the bottom of the cooler and what isn't...it's not hard to see that the MOSFETS and the VDDC chips have more clearance than the memory ICs do, so the memory ICs were the first pads to go on mine...

Psychlone

Hi, great OP!!!

One question--just some simple screws to release the cooler? I have the PowerColor model, and that's all I see. just wanted to check there were no surprises besides those.
I definately need to do this. The 'downwind' GPU is more than 12 deg hotter than the upwind one. (I understand why it should be 8-10 deg hotter, yes.) In most games I'm fine with the fan set to 80%. (Crysis, Bioshock, WoW). But in HL2Ep3 it will crash every now and then.
Thanks!
Z

The fan hack does not work for me. I am familiar with the procedure as I used it effectively with a single 4870 that I ended up returning.

With a Sapphire 4870X2 the hack does not work.

This occurs with the 8.8 betas and the 8.8 official drivers.

My temps are fine but it would be nice to be able to control the fans manually.

Changing it manually works fine for me. Make sure you are changing the text "Automatic" to "Manual" first before you change the percentage. Also, I've found 40% to be the sweet spot so far, low idle at 45c and load temps about 73c in cod4 with 8xaa enabled.

Im not able to find the profiles under xp32... Im assuming the display above was for vista.... How about us slow to change over guys? :) Where would we find the profiles?

MX2 is the way to go. Nice guide bookmarked till I get my card tomorrow. This is some great info while I await the EK full coverage block :)

Hi, great OP!!!

One question--just some simple screws to release the cooler? I have the PowerColor model, and that's all I see. just wanted to check there were no surprises besides those.
Z

No Surprises...but there are 2 little tiny screws on the exhaust plate that need to be removed before you can pull off the top - but you should be able to see every screw clearly on the bottom.

The fan hack does not work for me. I am familiar with the procedure as I used it effectively with a single 4870 that I ended up returning.

With a Sapphire 4870X2 the hack does not work.

This occurs with the 8.8 betas and the 8.8 official drivers.

My temps are fine but it would be nice to be able to control the fans manually.

This 'fan hack' was written *USING* a Sapphire 4870X2. Not too sure what you're doing wrong, but whatever it is, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Im not able to find the profiles under xp32... Im assuming the display above was for vista.... How about us slow to change over guys? :) Where would we find the profiles?

I believe that it would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Appplication Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles

But, it has been quite a long time since I played in XP...
You will have to enable Show Hidden Folders and Files through Folder Options (Control Panel > Folder Options) to see the Application Data folder.

Psychlone

Nice guide. Not too sure if as5 is such a good idea to put on a graphics card...especially since as5 is slightly conductive and capacitive. I'd use ceramique to be on the safe side. And ceramique will last forever...as opposed to as5 which I believe may need to be changed out every now and then...not sure...but I think I read this some where.

True to a certain extent.

AS5 is fine on the GPU, but just plain stupid to put on the memory IMO

But Arctic Cooling MX-2 works better than AS5

I might attempt this... I helped a friend water cool his setup with dual 9800GX2's and I spent hours putting those water blocks on becuase of all the prep work involved using Arctic clean. This post is great and I want to see what everyone is gettig for their temps before and after a paste swap. I am seeing 50c/65c at idle and my hottest gpu hit 83C when playing COD4 for about 45 min. It pretty much stayed at that temp after it got there. The fan spun up very high and I see no reason to even jack with a custom fan curve.

Very nice write up homie. I just got one of these, and will definately be settling for a fan speed of like 40%. 50 is kinda loud, 100% is like WTF?

but, I think i got lucky, mine runs really kool right out the box. Here is my idle temp.

4870x2temps.jpg

Is there a way to overclock these past the 800/1000 the ATI control panel allows?

Just wanted to clarify, the OP's directions appear to be slightly off. The following works.

This would achieve 40% fan.

PHP:
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">
          <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want" value="40" />

doesnt work for me. This is a copy and paste from my notepad doc. I set it to 100, just to make sure I could hear it change after going back and forth, and no sound changes.

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_1">
</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>
<Property name="Want" value="100" />
</Feature>

theres also all teh same ones w/ a 0 instead of a 1 at the end, do I need to touch those?

Visiontek 4870x2 - 8.8 drivers. Vista 64.

well i still cant even find them.. I went to my control panel/ folder options.. Made everything viewable... go into my c/documents and settion/Administrator/appdata/ati/ace folder and there is nothing in there--- damn.. The look and go c/documents and settion/all useres/appdata/ati/ace and there is one profile page in there... Open it and it has nothing like what yoru showing in there.. I have gone in and saved profiles and they show up in the ccc-- yet i cant find them anywhere...

Man this fan is loud...I tried it Iracing and it works ok but guys are reporting they are getting better numbers out of gt280s with alot less noise.. Ill mess around here but i might try one of those 55nm 280s when they come out..

doesnt work for me. This is a copy and paste from my notepad doc. I set it to 100, just to make sure I could hear it change after going back and forth, and no sound changes.

theres also all teh same ones w/ a 0 instead of a 1 at the end, do I need to touch those?

Visiontek 4870x2 - 8.8 drivers. Vista 64.

make sure to go into CCC and unlock (enable) the option in overdrive... i was having the same problem... it didnt work until i unlocked (enabled) overdrive

Does anyone know the max speed the fan will go, if left at stock?

I rthdribl for a while and my temps got in the 80's, but the fan never went above 33%

so I just got my 4970 x2 and I set the fan to 100% and the clocks to 750/900 at all times. My xml was a bit different saying "CoreClockTarget_0" and "CoreClockTarget_1" when I went to the overdrive screen, it let me configure 2 gpus, each called 4870 x2, and each one was set to 750/900, but at the bottom it said current clock settings, 507/500. I first thought it underclocked for idling, so I started up crysis in windowed mode and kept the overdrive screen open. After playing for a couple minutes, the current clock settings were still 507/500. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong, or is the card messed up?

Also when running 3DMark vantage, the screen would flicker white and stutter.

And editing the xml wouldn't increase fan speed, so I had to use ExpertATI.

So in all, why can't I make the xml work and what's wrong with the clocks?

In overdrive there are two gpus I can configure 4870 x2 DDC and 4870 x2. The ddc is set to 750/900 in overdrive but it's current clock settings are always 507/500 in game while the 4870 x2 is 750/900. So how do I set both to always 750/900 and fan speed 100%?

Does anyone know what the highest fan speed the X2 will rev up to when set to automatic. I'd figure this is important when setting manual for long term gaming as the heat slowly hits it peak. Knowing the high value for automatic would better help gauging the optimum setting for manual.

Even though this Fan-Hack is almost a thing of the past, I just discovered something interesting today regarding TechPowerup's RBE Radeon BIOS Editor. It actually has a built-in CCC XML Profile Editor. See pic below. Very handy for those who still wish to control their fan speeds in this way .....

RBE Radeon BIOS Editor:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1177/.html

If this old news, my apologies. It was new to me.

His problem with the fan speed may be that he changed "FanSpeedPercentTarget_0" instead of "FanSpeedPercentTarget_1" as 1erCru suggested. Several users reported on Rage3D that changing the "FanSpeedPercentTarget_0" value did not work for them. I updated the How-To thread I made to include this here, on Rage3D, and PCPerspective. Perhaps this works differently depending on the card vendor?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032685289#post1032685289

Great Guide by they way. I like the way that you used pictures for illustration purposes.

I've actually gone thru and even tried changing each of the four groupings so it looks like this:
Code:
        <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="65" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="50700" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="1250" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_1">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_1">
        </Feature>
        </Feature>
        </Feature>
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_2">
          <Property name="Want" value="1346" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_2">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_3">
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_3">
          <Property name="Want" value="1898" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_3">
        </Feature>

and it still didnt work.

Now, I am using 2 of the Visiontek 4870X2's, but this really shouldnt make a difference.

One of the other odd things I noticed, is that instead of using the "Percent" variable, it was set to "RPM" I went ahead and changed mine to percent but as you can see above, it didnt work.

EPERTool ATi did however work. I just much prefer having the profiles setup like I did with teh two 4870's i had prior to this

Thanks for doing this. This is the most concise directions I have seen for editing the XML files.

For those of you with xp32 that couldnt fine the profile folder----- I found it here --- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles .... It was under the local settings folder.....

First of all, if you want info on Windows XP read this:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320351

Second, if you are having trouble getting your fans to ramp up.......
return the profile to default or reload your complete driver package.
create a profile and open it up as you have done in the past.
notice in the code that for each X2, only one core has fan speed information.

I have two X2 in Crossfire. In my case, Core 2 and 3 had fan speed rpm and % values of 1315 and 27% respectively. Cores 0 and 1 had "0" in each.

Therefore, you only need to manipulate core 2 and 3 values as listed in the guide.

To the OP: great guide. The pictures are worth a lot.

Im not even getting the fan options in my profile. I have overdrive unlocked & included all CCC info in the profile save. I would like to adjust my fan speed because right now the noise is very loud. I have the MSI OC version 4870X2.

If you guys are moving from Cat. 8.6 to 8.7 or 8.8 you'll need to lookout for duplicate/old profiles as well. Meaning in Cat. 8.6 the profiles were stored under the Ace subolder and in Cat. 8.8 they're stored in Ace\Profiles. So if you upgrade drivers, those old profiles will still be there and not used in the old Ace Folder. Just a heads-up just in case you're editing the wrong stored profiles.

Did you try changing only the section that says "<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1"> ? That's how the guys on Rage3D got it to work.

Also when you say Expertool "worked", does that mean you can set any fan speed you want now, or is it still limited and you can only choose 50% or 100%? Have you tried the new ATI Tray Tools Beta? It's suppose to be working well.

First of all, if you want info on Windows XP read this:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320351

Second, if you are having trouble getting your fans to ramp up.......
return the profile to default or reload your complete driver package.
create a profile and open it up as you have done in the past.
notice in the code that for each X2, only one core has fan speed information.

I have two X2 in Crossfire. In my case, Core 2 and 3 had fan speed rpm and % values of 1315 and 27% respectively. Cores 0 and 1 had "0" in each.

Therefore, you only need to manipulate core 2 and 3 values as listed in the guide.

To the OP: great guide. The pictures are worth a lot.
Ok, I think what we might be looking for is not exactly the _1 or the _2 or whatever. You need to look at the profile when you create the first "dummy" and see which of the _# (0,1,2,or 3) groups have actual values set to them.

I ended up noticing that only _2 and _3 had values for mine, so I went ahead and changed ONLY the values for these two groups. Now take into consideration I am running two of these cards which might be why I am having to change both groups.

As a troubleshooting step I tried _2 first, and the fanspeed went up. I then left that as it was (put it at 65) and then changed the _3 up to 65. Sure enough the fans on teh second card started spinning faster..

So long story short, check to see which group has values associated with it and change them.

In re: to expertool i could change the fan speed % to whatever I wanted it to be.

[27];1032930855 said:
Ok, I think what we might be looking for is not exactly the _1 or the _2 or whatever. You need to look at the profile when you create the first "dummy" and see which of the _# (0,1,2,or 3) groups have actual values set to them.

I ended up noticing that only _2 and _3 had values for mine, so I went ahead and changed ONLY the values for these two groups. Now take into consideration I am running two of these cards which might be why I am having to change both groups.

As a troubleshooting step I tried _2 first, and the fanspeed went up. I then left that as it was (put it at 65) and then changed the _3 up to 65. Sure enough the fans on teh second card started spinning faster..

So long story short, check to see which group has values associated with it and change them.

In re: to expertool i could change the fan speed % to whatever I wanted it to be.

Isn't that exactly what I said????

Im not even getting the fan options in my profile. I have overdrive unlocked & included all CCC info in the profile save. I would like to adjust my fan speed because right now the noise is very loud. I have the MSI OC version 4870X2.

Unlock overdrive.
Go up into the profile tab at the top of the screen.
Open it and go to the profile manager or whatever it's called.
Create a new profile, call it whatever you want, then at the botton click "Activate and save"

Now when you search for it via your appdata, etc. open "profiles" and use notepad to open your fan profile.

My screw-up was always forgetting to "activate and save".:D

Back