Help! I've Missed 2 years worth of gaming! Recommend me some good stuff, would ya?

semisonic9

Gawd
My laptop vid card died on me back in April, and somehow I've gone this long waiting to build up a new rig. In retrospect, I wish I'd have just slapped a $100 used card in this thing and kept on gaming, but "oh well".

Anyways, between that and being sucked into WoW at some point, I skipped a lot of good games over the last few years. I'm building a new rig in September, and have the cash to stock up on some old goodies.

I haven't really played anything except WoW, Command and Conquer: 3 (*yawn*) and the original Warhammer 40k in the last 2-3 years. (The latter two, btw, I'd sell used if anyone is interested). That's right! I missed HL:2. No Dues Ex for me! Never played a CounterStrike or Battlefield of any kind. I think I played like 20 minutes of F.E.A.R. once. Same for Doom 3. I mean it, guys...I'm seriously out of the loop! I need rehabilitation! Bring me back into the fold. :rolleyes::)

Game preferences: I like just about anything. I love PvP. I hate grinds. I liked WoW, but the PvP post-BC turned out to be a huge letdown. WotLK PvP honestly doesn't look any better, especially for casters. I loved Diablo 2: LoD PvP, and the competitive community that developed around it. RTS-wise, I played CnC: Generals and had a blast. I loved the old "Total Annihilation". I'm light on FPS action, usually b/c I don't feel like being mince meat for a month or two's worth of learning curve until I feel competitive. If a RTS looked attractive enough, though, I'd probably play it. A buddy of mine has Battlefield 2142 lying around in a drawer somewhere, I believe.

One caveat: I don't want to over-load myself on games that suck the life out of me. Like the love of many beautiful women, it somehow always seems like a good idea at first. But, like women, eventually you realize you only need 1-2 good ones to get what you need without having the life-force sucked right out of your still wriggling body. ( I kid, I kiiiiiiid the women! I love da women! In fact, I'd like to spend more time with da woman, so try to take it easy on time-sink games for me, would ya?) Mixed in with the recommendations, I'd like something I can, in theory, play for an hour or two and just put down and stop whenever I'm ready to go.

Games I'm likely to pick up:
  • Team Fortress 2: Cheap initial buy-in, free to play, and it seems like it has dev support and a high fun-factor.
  • Warhammer: I'm hearing lots of good buzz now that the NDA is lifted. I like the idea of a mainly PvP-based game where nerfs/buffs aren't handed out on the basis of PvE. IMO, that was one of the biggest problems I had enjoying WoW/CoH PvP.
  • Wrath of the "Lick Me" King: I know, I know. Blizz is really ticking me off atm, and I may give it a pass if I'm involved enough in Warhammer or some other game. But I suspect Blizz is smart enough to angle this expansion enough to at least get me past the buy-in point.
  • Supreme Commander: Loved the original game, and I've heard the sequel is good. Might be my token RTS.

So I'm looking for a few more to add to this list. What did I miss that was great? What should I really go back and play?

~S

RTS: Company of Heroes, must play, best rts ever made imo, enough said. I loved TA as well but Supreme Commander is meh

Multi FPS: CounterStrike:Source and Call of Duty 4, Battlefield 2 is still good but showing its age. TF2 got old for me very quickly and the guns aren't that great).

Singleplayer FPS: STALKER (best fps since NOLF imo, even better with mods), HL2 + Episodes, NOLF 1 and 2, FEAR has amazing AI, Jedi Knight 2 and 3, Portal, Deus Ex!!!!

RPG: KOTOR 1 (must play, I like console version better) and 2 are amazing imo. 2 is unfinished but still very good the the restoration project is almost done so get the PC version. Mass Effect is pretty good, it's no KOTOR in terms of depth but I loved the combat. Many people say Witcher but I wasn't that impressed, and I could never play Oblivion for more than 30min before getting bored. Titan Quest is nice if you are into clickfests. If you don't mind playing oldies then Fallout 1 and 2, BG2, and Planescape: Torment are about as good as it gets.

MMO: you know WoW so nevermind that, forget Age of Conan stick a fork in it. Fingers crossed for Warhammer sadly I never got into the beta. EVE Online is hardfuckingcore watch out but has the best PVP of any mmo I have played.

Last but not least, Freespace 2! It's open source now, much improved and free. Get the installer and it will download everything for you, amazing game if you like space combat.
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/

You haven't missed much lol :( If you played one you played them all, the past 3 years are remakes copycats of mainstream old games from the past.

shiznit pretty much summed it up.

FEAR was one of the best and most memorable fps since HL.

Mass Effect was decent. Titan Quest I found to be the best game in a long time basically Diablo3.0. It recieved underated 8-ish reviews because it was compared to Diablo but if you like that style gameplay Titan Quest seriously was epic imo.

Orange Box was quality of course. Nohing else really impressed. Most games get boring after a couple hours realizing you already played them before, nothing new has came out.

Orange Box is $25 at Circuit City right now. Can't be beat for that price. I happen to think TF2 rocks!

Required course materials.

FPS: Far Cry, Half Life 2 + episodes.

RPG: KOTOR Mass Effect.

If you have time

FPS: Crysis, Call of Duty (pick one they're all the same).

RPG: Oblivion

My recommendations: Orange Box, STALKER, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Oblivion.

How is World in Conflict?

So Mass Effect is good, huh? I'll definately have to check that out.

I had been looking at Titan Quest anyways. I think a few of my friends and I may enjoy playing it together, if that's possible. We all played Diablo 2: LotD together.

EVE online is like a space RTS/MMO combo, right?

Anyways, thanks for the tips guys!

~S

You haven't missed much lol :( If you played one you played them all, the past 3 years are remakes copycats of mainstream old games from the past.

shiznit pretty much summed it up.

FEAR was one of the best and most memorable fps since HL.

Mass Effect was decent. Titan Quest I found to be the best game in a long time basically Diablo3.0. It recieved underated 8-ish reviews because it was compared to Diablo but if you like that style gameplay Titan Quest seriously was epic imo.

Orange Box was quality of course. Nohing else really impressed. Most games get boring after a couple hours realizing you already played them before, nothing new has came out.

he is right. There hasn't really been anything out to WOW me lately. I sold my 8800 and have yet to buy new card, aside from COD4 MP there isn't really anything out that's too great.

Given a good rig, I might recommend Crysis. 3/5 of the game is fun, 2/5 is linear crap IMO.
Brothers in Arms supposed to be released soon, it may be good.
Far Cry 2 is due in October, I have my fingers crossed for that. If that game is good, it may just be video card worthy for me.

Call Of Duty 4 is fun. Single player is criminally short, while MP is a blast. TF2 is fun also, it's a bit different though.

FPS, can't go wrong with the Orange Box. A lot of content there that you can explore at your own pace.

RTS, being a TA fan myself I thought SupCom was okay, but I'm loving Sins of a Solar Empire. I'd check out the demo for that. It's great but the games can get long!

Yeah, the Orange Box looks like a great value. A lot of single-player stuff, plus Team Fortress 2 to play with my buddy Steve.

I'm disappointed in Supreme Commander, though. I thought it was supposed to be pretty good, but it's getting a "meh" reception most places I've been looking so far.

~S

Here's a little list I composed:
Orange Box is a solid choice, best value in gaming by far

Bioshock is pretty good but some aspects feel tacked on

Call of Duty 4 was quite good but a bit short, might want to wait for it to drop in price, bound to some time
Mass Effect was pretty good but some aspects were stretched beyond their worth

Audiosurf is great if you're into music and only $5 if you get it on steam this weekend, definitely pick it up

If you were into WoW pick up the Witcher, great game with interesting mechanics and story. You can find it used for about $20, 3rd best pc game of 2007 in my opinion

probably just going to echo a lot of what has already been said, but here is a few of the best games i've played recently:

-orange box (no brainer ;) )
-Call of duty 4
-Bioshock

those and I'm also eagerly anticipating the launch of WAR and many other great games coming out this fall (for you guys in the US, summer for me in aus) (left4dead, witcher enhanced edition, far cry 2, fallout 3, crysis warhead, etc etc).

This is going to get expensive....

oh and @ shiznit: holy sh- freespace 2, i used to love that game

Back