Vista OEM Question.

Tom128

Limp Gawd
I am likely going to be getting Vista 64-bit soon. I was just going to grab a System Builder copy on Newegg when I got a new motherboard. Someone threw a bit of a curve ball at me that I don't believe but I want to confirm. The terms of the license are not very clear. I was told that an OEM/System Builder license is only good for a single install, then you cannot activate it again. Is this true? I find myself formatting every 12 months at least, if not 6. If I can't re-activate then I will have to abandon my plans.

Thanks.

OEM System Builder copies are meant for one installation, yep. Once activated, you're stuck with that from that point on. There are instances where you may have a motherboard fry, or some really serious thing happens where you have to start over and you won't get the activation off that one key a second time, so a phone call to Microsoft is typically the "easy way" to get a "new" key to do the reinstallation, etc.

Because of the lower price, many enthusiasts just get the OEM System Builder copies and do the installation, and if they upgrade or whatever later on they call Microsoft and tell 'em little white lies about fried mobos and whatever to get a new key, and I really don't think Microsoft has that much of an issue with it.

Just don't make a habit of trying to "upgrade" several times in a year - or have fried mobos, etc - and you'll be fine.

You can reactivate as many times as you like. I have a OEM copy of VHP running on my desktop since March of 2007 and have reinstalled numerous times, including using my original key to install x64 a few months ago on the same machine.

The major difference between OEM and Retail is a OEM license is tied to the pc it was first installed and activated on, and can not be transferred to another pc. The other major difference is there is no free support on OEM versions.

If you can live with those conditions then OEM should be fine for your needs.

I was told that an OEM/System Builder license is only good for a single install, then you cannot activate it again. Is this true? I find myself formatting every 12 months at least, if not 6.
You were told wrong. Simple as that.

It's quite likely that you'd find yourself telephone activating for subsequent installs, if they come frequently, but if you only install every 12 months or so you'll likely even find automatic online activation continuing to work for you.

The misinformation you received is simply the rubbish spread by people who speak as if a failure of the automated activation procedures is the end of the world. But truth is that those can fail for Retail licenses too. That's why there are call centre facilities made available - to deal with the scenarios automatic activation fails to handle adequately. :)

I have the very same Vista 64 OEM and I have reformatted and reactived three times already in the last month. I'm also within the EULA to do that.

As long as it's the same machine (motherboard is the most important determinant of that), you can reinstall and reactivate OEM Windows every day if you like under the EULA, although Microsoft would probably start wondering what was going on. Reinstalling every 6-12 months will definitely not be a problem if the machine hasn't been substantially changed.

I've seen people say that they don't need to reinstall Vista like they did XP, incidentally; some say it doesn't degrade in the same way, and considering there's a slow period after first install while it indexes, works out data for Superfetch and otherwise sorts itself out, you'd be reinstalling for a slower OS rather than the new fast OS people reinstalled XP for. I've never been one to reinstall voluntarily myself though.

OEM System Builder copies are meant for one installation, yep. Once activated, you're stuck with that from that point on.
false

I've reactivated my OEM XP key a dozen times, on different configurations of motherboard/hard drive when I was upgrading. It's all based on the has it creates. If you upgrade your motherboard, then reinstall and reactivate, you're fine. If you upgrade your motherboard, CPU, HDD, graphics card etc... then try, you might have an issue. I've always swapped one component around at a time and never had issues.

Your not 'supposed' to do that, but it still lets you. I caught you spreading that lie in another thread too.

My statement was not false. Call Microsoft and ask them how many times you're supposed to be "entitled" to do an installation with OEM System Builder media and the Product Key provided for a single copy. They'll tell you one time with exceptions if the machine is damaged, has component failure, or some other issue forces a need to reinstall the OS and re-activate.

Just because some of you folks are getting away with multiple reinstalls, or even with multiple re-activations does not mean that's the intention of an OEM System Builder edition of Windows. No one has admitted they did or didn't need to contact Microsoft for that, all people keep saying is they've re-activated multiple times using the same Product Key, at least that's how I've read the postings so far.

But they are designed for single installation use, with exceptions. People that feel like reinstalling multiple times or even on multiple machines - and I know people that buy 1 OEM System Builder copy then call in and ask for another key to get dual usage on a second box - aren't really doing it right.

Suffice to say, my statement stands as accurate. Other people's experiences with it or getting around the EULA of OEM System Builder editions doesn't make it any less accurate. If you reinstall the OS on a machine with a new mobo, that requires a new license. Yes you can upgrade many components in a machine, but the mobo is what breaks it: change the mobo, keep everything else the same, technically you are required to get a new license - aka a new Product Key and COA.

And note I said CHANGE the mobo - if you replace it with the same exact model, nothing is required. But a NEW mobo, a total replacement, that requires a new license and is covered in the highlighted text below:

oeminfokv8.png

Image taken from the content of the Microsoft OEM Partner Center's FAQ for System Licensing at:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552846#faq1

As for calling me a liar, you've got a long way to go before that'll be accurate, sonny.

So, to the OP: yes you can reinstall and even re-activate the single copy you purchase as required. If you decide to upgrade your mobo and replace it with an entirely different one - irrespective of any other component in the machine - you'd legally need to buy Windows again, unless you pull the "Oh my mobo fried" routine I mentioned in my first post above, which is what a lot of people actually do to get around the requirements of the EULA as mentioned/highlighted above.

Hey Joe, read my post.
Your not 'supposed' to do that, but it still lets you.
You don't have to explain the legality to me. You told him you can't activate it more than once, which is false. You can activate it as many times as you want. Are you supposed to? That's another story. You said he's stuck with it, which is a lie. There is nothing code wise to stop him from reactivating. And you can't say that you meant it 'legally speaking', because you later on, in your first post, talked about how to get around it if he wanted.
unless you pull the "Oh my mobo fried" routine I mentioned in my first post above, which is what a lot of people actually do to get around the requirements of the EULA as mentioned/highlighted above.
Why would someone go through all that hassle when you can just drop your disc back in, reinstall and re-activate? That's a rhetorical question, your answer would probably annoy me.

Interesting. This explains why you said people had to say "white lies" about mobo changes, puahahah.
Upgrading CPU/RAM/GPU should be ok though?

On the exact same mobo, sure, hence me saying:

Joe Average said:
Once activated, you're stuck with that from that point on.

which, if you read the post, means you're stuck with activation on that computer which is still entirely accurate. You can reactivate as much as you want as long as the mobo is the same mobo, same exact mobo, meaning from Microsoft's point of view it's the same computer. Change the mobo to another model, etc - that's a new computer and requires new activation which requires a new Product Key. I also added to it when I said:

Joe Average said:
There are instances where you may have a motherboard fry, or some really serious thing happens where you have to start over and you won't get the activation off that one key a second time, so a phone call to Microsoft is typically the "easy way" to get a "new" key to do the reinstallation, etc.

which is also accurate: try and activate the same key a second time on a new mobo - and by now we all clearly understand by "new" it means a person got a NEW one, entirely different, and not just an exact replacement because of it dying, etc - and you'll be stuck because it will ask to activate and because it's a new mobo entirely different from the first it will require a new key.

If someone is claiming they can swap mobos at will and keep using the same key, they're sadly mistaken. Same mobo = you're good to go. Different mobo = you're stuck.

Talk about reading comprehension, sheesh.

Interesting. This explains why you said people had to say "white lies" about mobo changes, puahahah.
According to Microsofts paperwork, yes you are supposed to buy another one, but nothing is stopping you from using your old key again. You know you are not using the copy on 2 different machines.
Upgrading CPU/RAM/GPU should be ok though?
I don't think you're supposed to change any component of the system. I mean, why stop at the motherboard, who's to say what is the 'computer' and what isn't. A graphics card is no more, or less, a component than the motherboard or hard drive is.

According to Microsofts paperwork, yes you are supposed to buy another one...

Well damn, I didn't think you'd ever admit that yes, you do know what's right and what's wrong.

Two points for you.

I don't think you're supposed to change any component of the system. I mean, why stop at the motherboard, who's to say what is the 'computer' and what isn't. A graphics card is no more, or less, a component than the motherboard or hard drive is.

Read the second paragraph in the picture above that I snipped from the System Builder Licensing FAQ: it clearly explains exactly why Microsoft chose the mobo as the 'heart and soul' of the computer and therefore ties the activation hash to the mobo.

If someone is claiming they can swap mobos at will and keep using the same key, they're sadly mistaken. Same mobo = you're good to go. Different mobo = you're stuck.
So, you're saying that when I took my XP key and reactivated it when I changed my mobo 2 times, and reactivated it again when I upgraded my hard drive (for a 3rd reinstall and reactivation of the exact same key), that I was all just imagining it?

I believe the word is 'imagining' and, while I have no idea what your imagination can come up with, I'm simply stating that I don't believe anyone will be able to swap mobos for entirely different ones and keep reactivating with the same OEM System Builder key, that's all.

If you mean by changing the mobo 2 times you simply replaced it with the exact same mobo, that wouldn't trigger a need for a new activation and new Product Key. The hard drive swaps are irrelevant.

I believe the word is 'imagining'
You're right, it is and I fixed it as you were typing.
I'm simply stating that I don't believe anyone will be able to swap mobos for entirely different ones and keep reactivating with the same OEM System Builder key, that's all.

If you mean by changing the mobo 2 times you simply replaced it with the exact same mobo, that wouldn't trigger a need for a new activation and new Product Key. The hard drive swaps are irrelevant.
This is why I said you are spreading lies. You've never tried it personally, so you're just speculating on what you think is, and going off hear-say.

I bought a computer with a 2.4ghz p4 (activated it)

I changed the CPU to a 3.06 p4, changed the graphics card, reinstalled windows and activated it.

Bought an entirely new system, new mobo, core 2 duo, new hd, new graphics card and new memory, activated windows again, with the same OEM key.

You were so worried about trying to prove me wrong, that even though I stated twice that I personally did it, you still continued to say I was wrong, basing your opinion off never even tried it yourself. And you say I have "reading comprehension" issues?

Get real. This is why so many rumors get spread in the tech industry.

I've been part of the Microsoft OEM Partner program for 15 years, and I have 14 sets of XP Home and XP Pro CDs sitting here in shrinkwrap ready for sale to anyone that wants 'em. So, sorry, you lose on that front. As for trying it, I'm beginning to suspect that you've been using retail copies of XP Home or XP Pro and not the actual OEM System Builder editions - only the OEM System Builder editions (can't buy 'em in stores, yanno) are the ones that limit the activation to the same hashes created by identical motherboards.

You really need to get off the "you're spreading lies" kick because it doesn't suit you. This isn't about proving who has the bigger e-peen here, it's about getting the facts straight.

So you bought a PC, we're all happy for you. So you installed Windows XP on it, great, fantastic. So you changed out the CPU, the graphics card, etc, awesome.

Then you say you got an entirely different PC, from top to bottom, and you're fucking over Microsoft by continuing to use the same "OEM" key - that's where I don't believe you and I think it's a retail one - without paying for a new copy of Windows as you're supposed to.

Congratulations, you just committed software piracy and proudly admitted it. Fantastic, great, outstanding, I applaud you for having the balls to come out and admit it publicly. Bravo.

NEXT!!!

.... wow....

To sum it up... Can you do resintalls of OEM software on the same machine. Absolutely.

Can you install on a new machine? Yes. Legally? No.

/thread

Geez, Tom is going to read this thread he created and wonder what he's done wrong. Calm down people. Bottom line is, yes, you *can* reinstall Vista should you need to on the same system without issues.

I actually changed motherboards because my old one stopped working and I also upgraded the processor as well at the same time and I didn't have to call or anything to activate, just did it over the internet.

Geez, Tom is going to read this thread he created and wonder what he's done wrong. Calm down people.

The use of the term "liar" in this thread is downright bloody disgusting! "Incorrect" or "mistaken" are one thing, but accusing a person of lying is an assault upon their character and an accusation that they actually knew the true facts and intentionally misled!

Joe Average said:
I'm simply stating that I don't believe anyone will be able to swap mobos for entirely different ones and keep reactivating with the same OEM System Builder key, that's all.

That's because you've misinterpreted the scenario related to Vista OEM System Builder packs for home builder enthusiasts. The ground rules have 'changed', despite the terminology retained in EULA and other relevant documentation, and Microsoft made that quite clear at the time of Vista's release, through announcements made by sanctioned Microsoft spokespeople.

The first of those is that the requirement for OEM System Builder packs to be sold only with accompanying hardware was lifted. It is still a 'one machine only' license, but the System Builder Pack itself can be sold over the counter by vendors as a standalone sales item. It no longer needs to be sold in accompaniment with the system or the hardware required to build the system. Home builders no longer need to purchase the OEM OS at the same time as they purchase their hardware. This change does not retrospectively apply to OEM XP, and the reason for it is purely and simply acknowledgement of the common practice of owner/builders sourcing components from multiple vendors.

The second 'change' is the way it all applies to motherboard replacements conducted by home builders. Whilst the technical/legal documentation remains virtually unchanged, Microsoft made it known that they were changing the interpretation of that as it applied in a practical sense for 'enthusiasts' or home/owner builders. The key to it all lies here, in the dicumentation you reproduced earlier:

System Builder Licensing Questions said:
If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

There's a lot of confusion out and about regarding this. The changes to the way it is interpreted mean that owner/builders or home builders using OEM System Builder Pack license can replace a defective motherboard without disqualifying the license, but they can't simply upgrade the motherboard. In a legal sense, of course. It is acknowledged that replacing a defective motherboard is often problemmatic, because the make/model of the original item used is often a discontinued product. The 'system builder' is the manufacturer of the system, so he or she can choose a suitable replacement motherboard.

Telling fibs to get the system reactivated after the motherboard has been upgraded to one with later and/or more capable hardware is an abuse of the situation. Replacing the motherboard with a comparable equivalent after the original has ceased to function is not an abuse of the situation.

In practical terms it all makes little, if any difference anyway. The majority of the time people don't even get asked such questions. The most frequent cause of problem people encounter when manually activating comes from their volunteering of information which wasn't even asked for.

Back