Do I need a Intel case with 45nm?

Cally

Limp Gawd
As cool as the 45 nm chips (Wolfdale) run do I need to have a intel compliant case for a new build? I currently have a Antec Sonata case which is 3 years old. It is quiet, has all the room I need so do I have to buy a new one?

As cool as the 45 nm chips (Wolfdale) run do I need to have a intel compliant case for a new build? I currently have a Antec Sonata case which is 3 years old. It is quiet, has all the room I need so do I have to buy a new one?

No, if your case can accomodate the motherboard you select, you'll be fine.

The local shop I went to told me they couldn't build me a new system using the old case because I was going from AMD to Intel. I am no expert but it just didn't sound right to me.

Lol, their trying to hustle some money from you, If your amd motherboard is the same size as the intel motherboard your getting you should be fine with that case.

Lol, their trying to hustle some money from you, If your amd motherboard is the same form factor as the intel motherboard your getting you should be fine with that case.

+1 and fixed (a wee bit)

{edit}

Name of shop so that potentially, we don't waste our time with them?

The local shop I went to told me they couldn't build me a new system using the old case because I was going from AMD to Intel. I am no expert but it just didn't sound right to me.

The only reason to change the case is when you are changing case format. Current standards are ATX (majority of cases) and BTX (very small minority). There was a older standard called AT, which had different PSU position and less connectors in AT PSU specification.

So the only reason to change case is when you change from AT to ATX. Antec Sonata is a ATX case, so no need to change anything.

I think in the Pentium 4 days, Intel has requirements about side vents over the CPU cooler.

I've never heard of an Intel compliant case.
AMD use BTX also.

Lol, their trying to hustle some money from you, If your amd motherboard is the same size as the intel motherboard your getting you should be fine with that case.

That is what I thought. Why make a little if you can make a lot doing a build? Really It made no sense to me at all. I am keeping my sonata case It does everything I need it to. Thanks

I recommend building one yourself, and probably saving loads of money ;)

I built the computer I am on now 2 years ago. I am not very knowledgeable and really struggle when doing the build process. If/when I boot up for the first time and get an error message it stresses me way out. Because of this I wasn't sure I wanted to do another build. I like the idea of building my own but am afraid I would get in over my head by buying parts that are not compatible. Some MB seem to only like certain ram. Not fully knowing what settings to make in the bios. I kind of wing it when I set it up. These kinds of things were why I went to a shop to let them build it. I may have to rethink this and do the build myself.

Heh cool, well spotted.
TAC compliance isnt necessary though unless after some kind of certification for the complete build, many of Antecs cases are easily good enough to cool Intel CPU's but cannot get TAC certification.
I suppose that why most case manufacturers havent bothered designing in TAC compliance.

But wow! thanks for the reminder to check Antecs site out.
Have you seen this open air case from Antec, coming soon...
http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=15125
Direct link to the bigger piccies
http://www.antec.com/productImage.php?ProdID=15125&SetZone=en

I didn't see THAT case when I was looking at their site. Mind boggling is all I can say about it. Look at the size of the fan blade on top, looks like it could drive the Nautilus. Great new design at any rate. I wonder what they will charge for this?

np :)
I'm rather stunned and miffed cos Antec already got a pocketful of my readies for an Antec 900 case about a month ago, doh!
Might just get it anyway :D

Heh cool, well spotted.
TAC compliance isnt necessary though unless after some kind of certification for the complete build, many of Antecs cases are easily good enough to cool Intel CPU's but cannot get TAC certification.
I suppose that why most case manufacturers havent bothered designing in TAC compliance.

But wow! thanks for the reminder to check Antecs site out.
Have you seen this open air case from Antec, coming soon...
http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=15125
Direct link to the bigger piccies
http://www.antec.com/productImage.php?ProdID=15125&SetZone=en

cool !!! at least something different.

http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=11050

This Antec case is designed to meet Intel's Thermally Advanced Chassis (TAC) design guide.
That's essentially nothing but marketing. Your Sonata case should handle any ATX motherboard out there. Also, if you're concerned about getting incompatible parts in a build you can always run them by the [H] community before you buy them. Just make a post in the general hardware forum with descriptions of what components you're choosing, what your budget is, and what you'll be using the machine for and they can help guide you through the selection process.

Back