HP LP2275w Reviews

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for a non-TN 22" monitor and came across the HP LP2275w recently. So far I've not found any expert, or user reviews and was hoping someone here might have one.

So does anyone have one and if so would they write up a review or give their thoughts on the monitor? Failing that, does anyone know where I could find any reviews?

Thanks,

Spunky

I just got my LP2275w from newegg. It look amazing, the colors are so much better than my aging Cinema Display. It has great viewing angles as well, with a tiny bit of color shifting (not as bad as my last PVA). The only problem is that the monitor is not in HP's warranty database, the product number is not recognized. I'll call HP and see what they can do :/

I'll post some pics later.

I've heard of at least two people so far (one from a Newegg review, another from a different forum) who have horizontal lines across the screen on this monitor after it's been asleep or turned off for a while. Turning it off and on again seems to fix it temporarily.

I've had a look at HP 2275w.

22" 1680x1050 VA monitor with legible dot pitch.
DVI-I and DisplayPort connectors.
Backlight uniformity OK. No dead pixels. No banding.
Range of brightness:
6500 (factory setting) - White 230-50 cd/m2
Custom Color - White 260-60 cd/m2
Brightness of black at about 45% of brightness control equals 0.1 cd/m2
Further decrease is not readable - the colorimeter reports 0 cd/m2
Contrast ratio:
6500 - 1050:1
Custom Color - 1250:1
Both are stable throughout brightness range.
Viewing angles much better than on TN, but poor compared to IPS - CR drops dramatically with 20-25 degrees off axis (colors washed out). Black crush (details loss) viewing straight on. All that is typical for *VA panels.
Color accuracy is mediocre out of box.
After calibration (measurable) - very good (dE~0.4).
Wide color gamut is not as aggressive as on monitors with figures >100%
Calibration improves colors, but they are still off due to wide gamut.
Colors in Photoshop look very good though.
Calibration also improves ClearType quality.
Video support. With BD player connected via DVI, HP 2275w distorts 480(i,p), 720p - OK, 1080 - not supported.
Input lag measured - fluctuation between 16 - 32 ms with the latter much more frequent. Average ~25ms.
Some cons:
DisplayPort is useless. Including HDMI would have been more useful. In fact, HP 2275w has just one video input - DVI-I.
HP 2275w backlight flickers with presence of a green frame. It worsens at lower brightness. At 100% brightness some flickering remains.
sRGB mode has zero effect.

Generally, the HP 2275w is a good choice for those looking for a compact reasonably priced monitor with picture quality much better than TN monitors can offer.

i know TFTCentral.co.uk are planning to review this very soon following their LP2475w review :)

Hmm, this monitor seems pretty interesting to me.
I've been looking at a new monitor to replace my old 17" TN LCD with, and I am still not sure what to get.
I am pretty interested in both the LP2275w and the LP2475W, but cant really choose between these two.

I really like the 24-inch variant because of its H-IPS panel, higher resolution and extra connections, but it also costs a lot more.

The 22-inch version seems pretty good as well, but I'm somewhat concerned about its input lag, which according to that prad.de review is as high as 50 ms, where as the 24-inch averages around 25 ms.

And I will be using it for gaming, so the input lag should not be too high.

Is there much difference between the 22 and 24 inch version in terms of picture quality (SPVA vs H-IPS)?

I tried the HP LP2275w in my search for a good monitor. Impressions:

Pros
+ Excellent image quality, colors. Closest thing to a CRT that I've seen.
+ Uniform backlighting, almost no bleeding at all.
+ Sturdy, industrial design
+ Good OSD controls

Cons
- Heavy input lag
- Monitor makes a high-pitched whining noise after time

I thought the whining noise was a defect, so I called HP and they said it's not normal. So I returned the monitor to Amazon for a replacement. Sure enough, the replacement monitor also made this sound. I'm not sure if I got unlucky twice or if it's a design flaw (perhaps it's an internal fan making the sound? The noise takes a few minutes to start happening after turning the monitor on). It sounds sort of like a CRT monitor when something goes out of whack.

Also, the input lag is pretty severe. It's even noticeable on everyday tasks like moving the cursor and scrollbars, even more so while playing Quake. Definitely not a good monitor for gamers.

Ultimately, I couldn't stand the whining sound and returned the second one for a refund. A shame, because this monitor's image quality is amazingly good.

So now the TFT Central review is out and the average input lag is determined as 25ms.

I'm having a really hard time considering buying this. I just don't know which review to believe. I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed at the input lag even though I'm just an amateur player, especially 'cause I haven't had any TFTs before. :confused:

Yeah I just read that TFT Central review as well. They say the input lag is about the same as the LP2475w, which doesn't make sense considering all the comments i've read otherwise. If I go by their review, the monitor does not seem bad at all. Who do I believe?

I ran a few Quake 3 games with it. It's still perfectly playable with the input lag, but it is annoying and you will notice it almost immediately, especially if you are used to no lag. What ultimately killed this monitor for me was the high pitched noise it made. I'm not sure if all of them have this flaw or if I just got really unlucky.

Yeah I just read that TFT Central review as well. They say the input lag is about the same as the LP2475w, which doesn't make sense considering all the comments i've read otherwise. If I go by their review, the monitor does not seem bad at all. Who do I believe?

You got essentially full review 3 weeks ago.
I did not bother to present it in the form of a separate article with pics, diagrams and video attached as I usually do, because this is not such a big event.
For an attentive reader everything was clear right away.

So we now have two impressions with average/acceptable input lag and one on Prad with horrid input lag. I wonder if Prads piece was faulty, or are their measurements way off.

Has anyone else had the problem with the whining noise? The TFT review and another user have both mentioned it. I'd consider this monitor but I'd need it to be silent for the amount of money it costs!

The noise is generated by the monitor's power supply, HP reportedly fixed the problem and started selling a fixed and silent monitor. I'm going to send mine for a replacement so I'll see.

The noise is generated by the monitor's power supply, HP reportedly fixed the problem and started selling a fixed and silent monitor. I'm going to send mine for a replacement so I'll see.

what's your s/n ? :)

Any updates on this issue and/or the lines issue. I'm trying to decide between the LP2275w and the LP2475w. My husband would prefer I went with the 22 for cost, and I suspect I could be happy, but not if it whines at me.

TFT central measured that it has same amount of input lag as LP2475w, 25ms, but then again Prad measured atrocious 50ms lag. Digitalversus measured 39ms average. It might vary from piece to piece or is someones measurements inaccurate?

TFT central measured that it has same amount of input lag as LP2475w, 25ms, but then again Prad measured atrocious 50ms lag. Digitalversus measured 39ms average. It might vary from piece to piece or is someones measurements inaccurate?
probably a little of both.

Has pretty meh user reviews at newegg. If you game a lot it's not fast compared to TNs either.

It often depends on the images displayed on the panel as well. So if they use different apps that might be the cause.

But in general Input lag needs a interval like "10-20 ms" because it's not constant.

I'm impressed so much I want to upload some comparison picks for this monitor. Contrast and color pop rival my plasma (50ph10uk)

monitor:
lcd1.jpg

lcd2.jpg

tv:
18260732.jpg

11046785.jpg

and yeah those artifacts are from the camera

I might be buying this panel next week since after 3 days of searching is the only non TN panel I could find in my country (Argentina) dells 2209wa was discontinued 2 month ago :(

Is there anything i should look before buying it ?

Has anyone had blackout problems with this monitor? I just purchased one of these today, and while watching a movie, it just blacked out for a couple of seconds, and then went normal. This has happened twice in only a few minutes. Help?

Back