HD4850

jdeegz

n00b
Hey guys, thanks for taking your time to reading my post.

I have a problem with playing Team Fortress 2 / Counter Strike: Source.

My FPS is low! haha

well I've been dicking around with different drivers, and hot fixes for the 4850 but to no avail.
and I have researched benchmarks on my CPU and it seems to run steam games perfectly fine, so I think I am going to label it as a MOBO problem. But I would much appreciate a second opinion.

My get up :
AMD 4800+ x2 Brisbane processor
ASUS M2A-vm HDMI motherboard
Sapphire ATI HD4850
2gb (2x1gb) A Data DDR2 800 pc-6400 ram
320 gb Western Digital Sata 3.0 16mb cache hard drive
The name of my power supply escapes me, but i believe it is a Com Core? 550w

So I assume the IGP on my mother board is disabled because I am getting slightly high FPS than when i used that, but I also uninstalled / cleared all graphics drivers before i installed my new 8.8 ATI Catalyst drivers.

So now that we got my specs down.
I ran the CS:S Stress test and averaged 100.7 FPS which is 1 fps higher than i saw on the 4800+ bench marks i had seen earlier today. But when I load up my regular CS_assault server, i average probably 45-50 FPS, and on my regular TF2 server (which is 32 man) My FPS usually hangs around 20-50 FPS and maxes at 90ish when looking at walls.

I have tried playing with my IGP befor ei bought the ATI GPU and my FPS was basically a constant 30fps no matter the screens resolution and video settings, so it sounds like a CPU problem. but the stress test says otherwise?

I am dumbfounded, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

-Jim

Hey guys, thanks for taking your time to reading my post.

I have a problem with playing Team Fortress 2 / Counter Strike: Source.

My FPS is low! haha

well I've been dicking around with different drivers, and hot fixes for the 4850 but to no avail.
and I have researched benchmarks on my CPU and it seems to run steam games perfectly fine, so I think I am going to label it as a MOBO problem. But I would much appreciate a second opinion.

My get up :
AMD 4800+ x2 Brisbane processor
ASUS M2A-vm HDMI motherboard
Sapphire ATI HD4850
2gb (2x1gb) A Data DDR2 800 pc-6400 ram
320 gb Western Digital Sata 3.0 16mb cache hard drive
The name of my power supply escapes me, but i believe it is a Com Core? 550w

So I assume the IGP on my mother board is disabled because I am getting slightly high FPS than when i used that, but I also uninstalled / cleared all graphics drivers before i installed my new 8.8 ATI Catalyst drivers.

So now that we got my specs down.
I ran the CS:S Stress test and averaged 100.7 FPS which is 1 fps higher than i saw on the 4800+ bench marks i had seen earlier today. But when I load up my regular CS_assault server, i average probably 45-50 FPS, and on my regular TF2 server (which is 32 man) My FPS usually hangs around 20-50 FPS and maxes at 90ish when looking at walls.

I have tried playing with my IGP befor ei bought the ATI GPU and my FPS was basically a constant 30fps no matter the screens resolution and video settings, so it sounds like a CPU problem. but the stress test says otherwise?

I am dumbfounded, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

-Jim

its actually TFC some people one 4870's or GTX 280's are getting low fps some bug they gota fix...i remeber somewhere there was some settings you could type in the console to boost your fps by like 30-50 if you have dual or quad core

I have not turned my IGP off via BIOS becuase i could not find any sort of option, it seems my bios is very limited. There is a new version available, im running revision 1301 and 1401 is out. Perhaps I will install that and see if there is an option to manually turn the IGP off in there.

I am playing at 1680x1050 resolution, all settings on high, vsync off, aa and af off.
If i lower it to 720x480 or what ever the lowest 16:10 resolution is, i only get a boost of about 20 fps, and it looks absolutely terrible, haha.

Do you think you remember where you heard of such a script to put into my console? 30-50 sounds great =D

Thanks again

-Jim

The console command is mat_queue_mode 1.

Don't do it in large games though, it tends to freeze. For anything under 8v8 though it works great and I get 30-50fps extra on a 3800x2.

Also, it doesn't let you minimize so you'll want to set it back to 0.

Hey guys, ive been trying to update my BIOS today, but to no success...

I am running on an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI board, and ive got the manual, and how to update it, but i am having trouble with one part in particular.

I am to load my AWDFLASH.exe file onto a portable device, USB Flash drive / Floppy / CD, and load it in the DOS mode of windows.

Been trying to figure out how to get into the DOS mode of windows is where im stuck, googled it but still nothing, running Windows XP Pro.

THanks again for all of your help guys!

-Jim

I know some people were having this problem and reverted to the 8.54 betas and that really helped, it literally let the game cap out on FPS

Try that before going into your bios.

I guess i can rephrase that. is it the 8.54 display driver betas, or the 8.54 version of CCC?
not quite sure how the ATI drivers work yet. or where to get them besides AMD Game.

Fairly sure its the display drivers, this reportedly worked for the people with the X2's, might as well try it in your case before doing anything else extensive.

Okay so a new update:

installed the 8.6 display drivers, because the 8.5 we non-compatible with my system... ?
same framerates, no decrease or increase.

I dropped all of the games settings to low / off, and got a slight boost of about 10-25 FPS.

Still have not updated my BIOS.

Still have not flipped a switch saying disable the IGP, only deleted the drivers.

I tried to find a way to turn the IGP off via BIOS but there was no option.

thanks!

-Jim

So I broswed through my BIOS once again and found that i can switch my video between OnBoard, PCI, and PCIEx. PCIEx was selected, and I assume that means it IS using my video card and not my IGP. So, i moved on, and tried to update my BIOS from within the Pheonix - AwardBIOS Setup (where it takes me when i hit DEL on startup). I tried a newer revision, 2001, and it said it was not compatible ROM, and tried to install 1803 but the BIOS was freezing when i entered the AwardBIOS Flash BIOS menu. I am wondering why the program was looking for a ROM, when it updates a Flash chip? what ever. moral of the story, video card still sucks, and i want to throw my computer out my window, then jump on it, and drive over it with a panzer.

-Jim

PS Sorry for the text brick.

I guess it's kind of a stupid question but you have your monitor plugged into your video card right?

Its your CPU. Source games are hugely dependent on CPU speed and that brisbane is pretty slow. With a single 4850 I got 232 FPS in the CSS stress test at 1680x1050. In Crossfire I got 301 FPS which I figure is still a bit low but oh well.

a 2.5 speed dual core is that slow ?

seems pretty whack, i remember a friend of mine playing on like an e2100 or somthing.

a 2.5 speed dual core is that slow ?

seems pretty whack, i remember a friend of mine playing on like an e2100 or somthing.

Its a load of crap, another "your cpu is broken or crap". HL2 minimum requirements is a 700mhz p3. VALVE said even the Wii is capable of running source with an 800mhz chip. I can get 80fps easy with a single core 3000+ and a 6600gt. 20fps means you are having driver issues or chipset issues. I would try a fresh install of windows, and only put on the game + drivers, no extras and see if that helps.

Edit: Not to mention I have a 5200 (only slightly better) and a 4850 and I get 195fps in CS:S, 130 in Lost Coast, and I never have issues with TF2.

The CPU should certainly be enough. CS Source was released in 2004 back when people were running single core Athlon 64's and P4's.. If it runs at 20 FPS on a 2.5 GHz X2 and a 4850, it would have ran at like 5 FPS at the time it was released. TF2 is also not known to be a very demanding game. Why does common sense always go out the window every time someone even mentions "Athlon X2"?

Unfortunately I don't have either TF2 nor CS-Source so unless there's a demo, I can't provide any benchmarks for comparison. However my system has no problems with much newer and more demanding games like Grid, Bioshock, Mass Effect etc. In 3Dmark 06 at 1680x1050, 4x AA/16X AF, my system is only 14% slower than a Core 2 Extreme QX9770 because it's so GPU bound (of course at the standard res of 1280x1024 no AA or AF, the difference is greater).

do you update your chipsets or what? can those be downloaded?\

thank god it isn't the hardware, that would've upset me quite a bit.

by fresh install of windows do you mean a reformat? or what, not THAT familiar with installing windows, i've only done it once when i built this comp half a year ago. I remember there being an install option but i don't quite remember.

thank you for your time guys!

-Jim

mat_queue_mode 2
r_threaded_particles "1
r_threaded_renderables "1"
cl_detaildist "1000"
cl_detailfade "600"
cl_ejectbrass "0"
cl_show_splashes "0"
muzzleflash_light "0"
r_decals "1024"
r_lod "1"
dsp_enhance_stereo "1"
mem_max_heapsize "1024000"
cl_forcepreload "1"
cl_showfps 2
fps_max 62
r_threaded_client_shadow_manager "1"
cl_threaded_bone_setup "1"
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system "1"
mat_picmip -10 (this is better texture quality)

config I use, some things have nothing to do with dual core usage but w/e

do you update your chipsets or what? can those be downloaded?\

thank god it isn't the hardware, that would've upset me quite a bit.

by fresh install of windows do you mean a reformat? or what, not THAT familiar with installing windows, i've only done it once when i built this comp half a year ago. I remember there being an install option but i don't quite remember.

thank you for your time guys!

-Jim

There's a download page at Asus's website under Support I believe. Just select your mobo in the list and download the driver, it's a pretty big file if I remember correctly, well over 100MB. Then uninstall everything related to ATI and Catalyst, reboot and install the chipset driver, then after another reboot, download and install the latest display driver.

Reformatting and reinstalling Windows isn't that hard, especially if you're running Vista. Just boot from the Windows CD/DVD and the installation program will give you the option of wiping the drive. The difficult part is remembering to back up everything before you format and erase your entire drive - everything from save games to documents, bookmarks, emails etc. A second harddrive or partition is the most convenient option for backup, but DVD-R/USB stick or even online storage services also works.

so i reformatted the harddrive, was planning no doing it anyways so no biggie.

then i installed my mobo drivers, like usb n shit.

then installed my NIC

then installed my chipset driver from my download (180mb)

then installed my updated display driver (CCC8.8)

still the same exact amount of FPS.

do you think i should try overclocking my CPU and seeing if i see a boost in performance?

-Jim

when i roll into my control panel to check the display driver, and it says im running on 8.522, so i uninstall it, download 8.8 display driver, install it, still says im running 8.522, i assume that is normal then?

Yes, 8.522 is correct (this is never the same "version" as the actual driver pack).

At this point you have a couple options. Because you reformatted and reinstalled all the drivers I would immediately suspect your "no name" brand PSU. In my experience, beyond software issues or some weird bios setting (defaults would correct), the only thing that would cause weird fps problems is a PSU. Honestly, you should always have a good trustworthy PSU (corsair, OCZ) because when a PSU causes instability it takes a lot of effort to trace it back (like this scenario perhaps?). Other then that, update to the latest directx drivers and try overclocking your CPU/VGA separately to see if your frames increase. If they do, then I would throw out the PSU problem. But, even though that cpu is holding the card back (my c2d needs to be >3.0 to not bottleneck), it won't be at such crappy frames in that game.

As much maligned as PCMark/3dMark is here, you could try downloading those (PCMark05, 3dMark06) and run the full tests, and post the results.

That may give us a clue, by seeing where the 'slowdown' is.

Back