GTX 260 - No signal but still loading windows!

Hecktec

Limp Gawd
I just installed my brand new vanilla XFX 260. Upon turning the computer on, the monitor didn't display any signal with either DVI or VGA cables. I tried another monitor, no go aswell.

The weird thing is, the computer boots normally to Vista, It doesn't beep or anything. I can hear the startup sounds and all. It seems to operate normally and doesn't hang or anything, just without the signal.

My previous 8800GT was working normally before that. Any ideas what could be wrong? I've reseated the card a few times, tightned up the cables, no go.

Here are my specs:
- Q6600 (at 2.8GHz)
- Gigabyte P35 DS3R
- 4GB DDR2 800
- PCP&C Silencer 610W

clear your cmos/bios

happens to me with new cards on my abit

edit: before a new card upgrade, i like to uninstall drivers, restart, use driver cleaner pro, then shut down. install the new card, clear my bios, boot to see if all ok, install drivers, restart, redo my bios settings, boot in to windows.

I had this same issue with a 4850. It turns out my PSU was to blame... have a 750tx now and haven't encountered this problem since. But you're using a quality PSU as well... 49A on the +12V rail, whereas the GTX260 only requires... 36? (I think)

I'm really not sure. :\

Tried resetting the bios, still not working. :(

I doubt it's the PSU since it should be more than enough I think. What are the chances that the card is defective?

First thing I tried, still no signal. Any other last hope solutions? The card was shipped internationally so shipping it back is going to be a big pain.

It should at least post.. Check for a new mobo BIOS update and flash it up, dump old nvidia drivers with old card installed, shut down, power off completely and install new card, see what happens..

Don't be happy your machine can boot Windows. I can entirely pull my video card and my PC will boot all the way into Windows. Your video card could still be as dead as a doornail.

If you can get in safe mode, re-install your video drivers there then go to regular windows.

I just installed my brand new vanilla XFX 260. Upon turning the computer on, the monitor didn't display any signal with either DVI or VGA cables. I tried another monitor, no go aswell.

The weird thing is, the computer boots normally to Vista, It doesn't beep or anything. I can hear the startup sounds and all. It seems to operate normally and doesn't hang or anything, just without the signal.

My previous 8800GT was working normally before that. Any ideas what could be wrong? I've reseated the card a few times, tightned up the cables, no go.

Here are my specs:
- Q6600 (at 2.8GHz)
- Gigabyte P35 DS3R
- 4GB DDR2 800
- PCP&C Silencer 610W

I've experienced this with the Geforce GTX 280. The other DVI port worked for me.

Pull the card, attach the vga cable to the vga port from the mobo. Does it work? If so, problem with the new vid card. If not, probably a bad connection to the monitor - maybe damaged when swapping the the cables over. I installed my 8800GT, same problem. Turns out it a poorly installed DVI to VGA connector. Tightened it up and it was fine.

Did you trying plugging the monitor into another DVI port? I've seen times where suddenly my computer thinks of the other DVI port as the primary.

And it is always very possible the thing just doesn't work.

I have had that happen before and I just let it sit there on the black screen for a few minutes and widows will load the basic vga driver. the screen will still be black but after the windows noises stop just wait a few minutes and reboot. when it starts back up you will get the screen back and after that you install the real drivers.

Silly as it may sound, but with my 4850 I had the exact same problem, and it was fixed by turning around the DVI cable. :confused::D

Logical assumption, my DVI cable is faulty.

Silly as it may sound, but with my 4850 I had the exact same problem, and it was fixed by turning around the DVI cable. :confused::D
are you sure that windows didnt install the vga and then when you rebooted it worked just like I just mentioned? in other words you could have taken a piss and came back rebooted the comp but that doesnt mean that taking a piss fixed it.

are you sure that windows didnt install the vga and then when you rebooted it worked just like I just mentioned? in other words you could have taken a piss and came back rebooted the comp but that doesnt mean that taking a piss fixed it.

Yes Iam 100% sure, I got an faulty DVI cable. This is due to the fact that I did not even see BIOS before I turned the cable around. I had hard time believing the solution myself, as it does not sound very logical, but then again, there is plenty of stuff in IT which really does not make sense :)

it happened to me when i forgot to plug 6 pin pcie connector, but i'm sure you've checked yours, right?

Oh, forgot to update this. My 260 has been working fine for a few days now.

Not sure how it worked though, I updated the motherboard's BIOS but that solely didn't work. I then tinkered with the BIOS options a bit (Like upping the NB voltage), then after a few tries I finally got a signal.

I've been gaming/stressing the card for a few days now and it's completely stable. Though sometimes when I start my PC, I don't get a signal. Restarting the computer resolves the issue, It doesn't happen very often though. I'm thinking it could be a motherboard/PSU issue rather than the card.

Oh well, at least I'm glad the thing is working now. :)

good for you. but didn't it ruin your hdd if you restart your pc during windows loading?

nösferatu;1033008307 said:
good for you. but didn't it ruin your hdd if you restart your pc during windows loading?

Most done under loading is READ, not WRITE, so no.

nösferatu;1033008307 said:

Naah, I usually restart my PC when Windows finishes loading (I can hear the sounds), or before it loads.

Most done under loading is READ, not WRITE, so no.

no matter read or write, i mean, the hdd is spinning, right? imo, it's not the best time to make your hdd run out of power.

Naah, I usually restart my PC when Windows finishes loading (I can hear the sounds), or before it loads.

that's safe :D

nösferatu;1033012780 said:
no matter read or write, i mean, the hdd is spinning, right? imo, it's not the best time to make your hdd run out of power.

that's safe :D

Hard drives are tougher than you think. I wouldn't worry about it.

too many hdd failed before my eyes, that's why i would worry about it. talking about 40 - 80 GB seagate/maxtor which are so common in my country. but maybe it's because seagate/maxtor?

nösferatu;1033012917 said:
too many hdd failed before my eyes, that's why i would worry about it. talking about 40 - 80 GB seagate/maxtor which are so common in my country. but maybe it's because seagate/maxtor?

Depends on the model. Seagate SATA drives are generally solid but their IDE drives sucked. Maxtor drives haven't really been very good for several years. The last good Maxtor drive I can recall was the Maxtor Diamond Max 10 which came out two or three years ago.

nösferatu;1033012917 said:

Remember they sell 2 types of drives too.
1 set that is rated for 8 hours usage per day...and "server"-class HD's...that can sustain 24/7 usage.

Depends on the model. Seagate SATA drives are generally solid but their IDE drives sucked.

Now that you said that, there was only one Seagate SATA in my office that've failed so far, the 200GB model, so i think you're right.

ouch, sorry for being oot.

Back