So is this Big Bang II Eve?

TalonMan

[H]ard|Gawd
The rumors were Sep 2008 correct? :)

It seems just too quite to me from Nvidia. Mabey it's late Sep... :(

Big Bang II being released tonight at midnight would be fun...

Update: Never mind... Looking at the slide again, it is the end of Sep.

just FYI, I don't remember where I read it (maybe on Ars), but I saw a date of September 8 somewhere for Big Bang II.

Lol, thanks for giving me credit for the slide :rolleyes:

By the way, you didn't get the final version (painstakingly cleaned up from a rather crappy photo).

31068942.png

Original thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1328780

I found the article I was thinking of. False alarm. I must've misread it because they were saying SEP 08, meaning September 2008, so nothing new there.

I'm just posting here to vent that I hope that nVidia releases the R180 drivers _soon_ and that they due, indeed, included multi-monitor SLI.

I'm tired of needing to use SoftTH for my flight simulator rig. I have three 1680x1050 widescreen monitors and it'd be much nicer to span them natively in the driver, then fight to get it working with SoftTH.

Bear in mind, I give kudos to the developer of SoftTH for his hard work, but I need to spend more time actually using my monitors rather than fighting with this configuration.

btw, yes I know about the TH2Go, but until _very_ (the last couple of weeks) recently it didn't support 5040x1050.

i was thinking......you guys think its a possibility that the big bang software and drivers will be released with or for the new revised card (gtx260)? I dunno……I was just thinking it might be a possibility that both releases are connected.

I am thinking it will be for at least all 8 series and later?

The things that it could be: :)

The ability to mix and mytch GPU's, and still run SLI. That would be for example a 9800GT, running with a 280 in SLI.

Include the ability to run SLI in the driver, so all intel mobo guy's could now run SLI.

Unlocking more shaders that were already included on your 280, but were currently disabled. Couldn't you unlock some extra speed on the Nvidia Quadro? (Not sure?)

Being able to install it in your car, and it will then run on water.

Not sure how many of these will turn out to be true, but here's to hoping! :p

I am thinking it will be for at least all 8 series and later?

The things that it could be: :)

The ability to mix and mytch GPU's, and still run SLI. That would be for example a 9800GT, running with a 280 in SLI.

I don't know why people think mixing and matching for multi-gpu is such a good idea... it will inherently lead to microstutter because 1 gpu can process the frame so much faster than the other. Why would you invite microstutter into your game like this?

Bad idea.

I don't know why people think mixing and matching for multi-gpu is such a good idea... it will inherently lead to microstutter because 1 gpu can process the frame so much faster than the other. Why would you invite microstutter into your game like this?

Bad idea.

I agree. You aren't going to get some amazing performance boost by plopping a last gen card in with a next gen. Just use the second card as a PPU, imo.

Bad idea.

People get the idea because both ATi and Nvidia have been tossing around "Hybrid" SLi/Crossfire which is intended to allow people that upgrade from an integrated GPU to an add on card to still derive some benefit from the integrated GPU.
And it wouldn't be a bad idea if SLi and Crossfire didn't do alternate frame rendering, which means that the slowest card will screw up the image and timing for the faster card.

Hydra is supposed to fix all of this, and it renders based on scene content so even a meh card can help render the frame. Only restriction is cards have to be from the same manufacturer, and I think this is because Vista only wants 1 graphics driver installed. Hydra should even eliminate the need for sli and crossfire bridges between cards.

Dosen't ATI do that... Mix and match GPU's in crossfire?

To a point yes, for example you can have a 4870x2 and a 4870 in crossfire, however, you can not have a 4870x2 and a 3870. Thats how I understand it.

How soon for Hydra?

It's in the beta stages now. They've showcased some prototype motherboards with the hydra chip installed displaying on multiple monitors just what each video card was rendering.
So, hopefully they are at the "get the AIBs to buy in" stage.
We'll see. Nvidia and AMD/ATi would both lose out if it ever actually makes it into production. It could just get bought out and put on the shelf like so many other inventions.

If Big Bang II dosen't give us intel guys SLI, I hope Hydra makes it into production soon...

Put me down for 1 right now!! ;)

so, we're nearing the end of September. Anyone heard any new rumblings on r180?

I was looking at nVidia's release history and then tend (this is no guarantee) to release major driver releases on the 25th or 26th of each month. If they continue to follow that trend, then it would be either Thursday or Friday of this week. Let's hope..... I need me some multi-monitor SLI FSX action.

It's in the beta stages now. They've showcased some prototype motherboards with the hydra chip installed displaying on multiple monitors just what each video card was rendering.
So, hopefully they are at the "get the AIBs to buy in" stage.
We'll see. Nvidia and AMD/ATi would both lose out if it ever actually makes it into production. It could just get bought out and put on the shelf like so many other inventions.
Nvidia would lose it since no one would bother with an Nvidia chipset board again. ATI however, what would they lose? They didnt clock down crossfire on us, heck they could save money on driver development if hydra took over that area.

I've stopped holding my breath... I'll just keep relying on having a second graphics card to push the second monitor...

nVidia is really frustrating me. _Technically_, I can already use my triple head rig (dual 8800 GTX's) with FSX and X-Plane by simply creating child windows on the sideband monitors.

However, that makes the FOV screwy and I'd like to let the OS an the app handle FOV natively.

well, I guess we can all laugh at ourselves at this point. Either those "leaked" slides were wrong/planted or nVidia decided to let the release schedule slip. when was the last time nVidia had two major driver releases like this in less than a week?

Personaly I think it's a load of rubbish, maybe there might be some new drivers when a completly new card comes outnext year

Back