GPU client generates high pitched whine from 8800GTX

Meocene

Weaksauce
Subject says it all.
When the clients running my 8800 (which is clearly the source of the noise) starts whining. :confused:
My GPU's not hitting higher temps than if I was running a game, it's just extremely annoying. I have very good hearing so it really, REALLY stands out.
:mad:

This is called the folding whine.

Most Nvidia cards have it. The 8800GS is the one that I know does not.

It does not damage to your card, just your hearing ;)

I wouldn't worry; some just do this. My 8800's don't whine when running FaH, but they whine when running my CUDA code. They have been going strong for over year now running both short (10-30 minutes) and long (3-4 weeks at a time) computation runs.

I get the same thing on my 8600M GT if I try small demos with a high framerate (>800fps). It's really annoying, but then again, real apps usually don't have such a high framerate :p I wonder *what* is making that noise though...

It's starting to drive me nuts.
I like quiet environments when working. D'oh! buggered.

Double D'oh. Was doing a little Googling about this and literally, just as I read that the noise decreases with time, the whining ceased.
Cool I thought - then realised my PC had crashed.
What a shame - F@H uninstalled.

My 8800gtx sufferes the same whining noise. The more I push the Shaders, the higher/louder the shining.

Shove it deeper under the desk....

Is there anyway to reduce how much of GPU is utilized the the client?
Reducing that by, say, 10% may solve this issue...? You never know.

it has to do with the voltage regulators

I wouldn't worry; some just do this. My 8800's don't whine when running FaH, but they whine when running my CUDA code. They have been going strong for over year now running both short (10-30 minutes) and long (3-4 weeks at a time) computation runs.

If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of things are you running with CUDA?

My 8800GTX @ 100% fan does whine. There is nothing to do except go to a third party cooling solution. My 8800GTX is going to be retired soon so it's not worth the money for me to put another cooling solution on it.

it has to do with the voltage regulators

Is there anything that can be done to the card/voltage regulators to mitigate the noise while keeping the same output? I imagine Nvidia would have done it themselves if there were, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

Is there anything that can be done to the card/voltage regulators to mitigate the noise while keeping the same output? I imagine Nvidia would have done it themselves if there were, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

I can't imagine Nvidia had folding in mind when designing the reference board. I doubly doubt they would ever consider revising for this issue. Future products, perhaps. Our cards are long past worthy now...

If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of things are you running with CUDA?

I don't mind at all - it gives me a chance to brag. :p

I'm running large non-linear optimization to generate 3D ultrasound medical images. I got to present at NVIDIA's Tesla Editor's Day. A few sites picked up the story; TG ran one of the most detailed on what I'm doing:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37930/135/

I don't mind at all - it gives me a chance to brag. :p

I'm running large non-linear optimization to generate 3D ultrasound medical images. I got to present at NVIDIA's Tesla Editor's Day. A few sites picked up the story; TG ran one of the most detailed on what I'm doing:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37930/135/

That's incredible. Congrats!

I noticed in the article that you're using Tesla C870s. Not knowing WTH those were :)p) I looked it up and noticed that the new C1060 is available. Have you had a chance to play with those puppies yet? I'm assuming they're basically headless GT280s since the specs match up.

That's incredible. Congrats!

I noticed in the article that you're using Tesla C870s. Not knowing WTH those were :)p) I looked it up and noticed that the new C1060 is available. Have you had a chance to play with those puppies yet? I'm assuming they're basically headless GT280s since the specs match up.

Thanks, aldamon.

I have a C1060 sitting here on my desk. AFAIK, the only difference between it and the 280 is the lack of DVI ports and 4GB onboard memory. I haven't had time to plug it in and try it out since it would require updating the CUDA driver/toolkit/SDK stack on all our systems and I've had other things to write and debug. Eventually I'll get to it.

Sorry for the threadjack...

WOW.

Is this like the TV/CRT set whine you sometime hear?

My box is a little noisy I am goign to have to see if my 8800 gtx does this too.

WOW.

Is this like the TV/CRT set whine you sometime hear?

My box is a little noisy I am goign to have to see if my 8800 gtx does this too.

Damn close - it's a unique sound that disappeared over time - or I grew ignorant of it with time... not sure which...

Woo! Just discovered the joys of rivatuner
Mild underclock = no whine and no crashes
Merrily folding away now

Hey,That new rivatuner i think it is 2.10 is out it really helps out alot with over and underclocking its a great tool to have.:)

my 8800GT did it and so does my GTX 260.

The pitch changes with clock speeds!

So try changing the clocks while its folding.

You may hit a pitch thats more acceptable (less noticable) to you.

What temps are you getting when you fold and what clocks are you using. I would like to start folding on my gtx

I think the crashes were being caused by the overclock. I clock my 8800 at 612 core / 999 mem.
With those F@H would inevitable crash.
At defaults (575/900) I would get that extremely annoying F@H whine.
So I clock down to 432/900 so that whine's at inaudible levels.
At this clock my 8800's running at about 77 degrees C with F@H running.
Got RivaTuner set up so I can quickly switch between lower, default and higher clocks.
Loving RivaTuner - can't believe I stuck with nTune for so long.
Sorts out the annoying auto fan defaulting to manual bug as well.
Come on nVidia! Sort it out! nTune could be awesome.

I just got my PNY 8800gt w/512. After installing it and configuring it I'm presently folding, with GPU2, a 5051 WU. With Riva Tuner I set the fan to a "fixed" 80% (overkill mayby, but I'm temp anal) and upped my shaders to about 1780 or so (depends what reading you believe) My 8800gt core runs about 55c with an ambient of about 25c and my 8800gs core runs about 45c with a 25c or so ambient. After yesterday and this morning I haven't noticed any "whining" or other than my "rad" and case fans making any noise and this is in my bedroom. I'm including a screen shot of my PNY 8800gt w/512 below

DC ONWARD!

EDIT: Oops my bad, the WU is suppose to be 5015 not 5105. See brother Xilikon all humans screw up once in a while ;)

Back