The [C]hain[G]ang: Free PCI-E slot? Free Card for folding...

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
OLD UPDATE, DISREGARD: After a week of diagnosing, exams, etc, my wife and I have decided to do a surgery on our little baby boy. He's diagnosed with Hirschsprung disease, which requires surgery. Our copay, after the insurance and medical deductible, is well over what we can afford, so I apologetically shut down this project until further notice. Those who won the cards (in the USA) will still get them.

HAVE A SPARE PCI-EXPRESS SLOT? WANT A FREE CARD TO FILL THAT EMPTY SLOT AND FOLD FOR TEAM 33? READ ON!

[C]hain[G]ang
a Folding at [H]ome Project

This isn't meant to compete with the Community Boxen program, but to help keep the [H]orde in the lead AND to get fellow [H] members into folding. A friend of mine has cancer, and this is one of the few ways I can help. I’m willing to send out 8600GT/8800GS cards to fellow [H]ardforum members for the purpose of folding. There must be a lot of spare PCI Express slots out there! You can use the card to game, Physx, etc. Just make sure to fold with it 24/7!

Phase one. "Testing the waters"

I will send out ONE card after I randomly draw. If you get selected, please send $10 to a paypal account and i'll ship it off. YOU MUST AGREE TO THE CONDITIONS BELOW before I send off the card.

Here are the specific conditions:

1. Only ONE card per person. (This may change)

2. You MUST be a [H]ardforum member with at least 100 posts. (don’t want OZ to get a hold of them)

3. You keep the card for as long as you fold. As soon as you stop folding for Team 33 with the card, send it back to me. (PLEASE BE HONEST!)

4. You fold for ONLY Team 33 with the card.

5. UPDATED: You pay ONLY $10 for shipping. This will offset my cost of shipping and handling. (used to be $15, $10 is more reasonable)

6. UPDATED: You fold under the PROJECT NAME (ChainGang) for the first 6 months. After that, IF you fold for your own points after the 6th month mark, you agree to buy the card for 1/3 the then current retail price or send the card back to me. (i'm not making money on this project!)

7. UPDATED: If you fold under the PROJECT NAME (ChainGang) for more than a year, the card is YOURS to keep. After that you can continue to fold under the PROJECT NAME or yours! THOUGH YOU MUST keep folding for Team #33 for as long as the card is in your possession!

8. You must fold with the cards 24hrs a day, each day of the week. Downtimes are understandable, but are lost time! PLEASE STRIVE FOR 24/7!

9. I am NOT liable for ANY damage or costs associated with installation and/or operation of these cards.

I will spend about $80-100/month to maintain this project. I think there are a LOT of spare PCI Express slots out there in the forums just waiting to be filled with cards to FOLD. This will help others join in the folding for a minimum of cost.

FAQ

Why are you doing this?
I have a long time friend that is battling cancer. She's gone into remission, but it could come back at any time. I donate funds to cancer research, but I want something more actively involved. Folding for Stanford's project does that.

Why not just build your own farm?
I was going to setup a farm with each box holding 2-3 GPUs. But then I thought, why spend all of this money on cases, power supplies, motherboards, etc just to run 2-3 GPUs in each box when there are a lot of unused 8x/16x PCI-E slots in other people's computers?

Aren't you doing this JUST to increase your own points?
I fold for cures. The points are just a feedback on how much I can achieve. I'd also like some recoginition on this project. It is my time and money after all.

Why do I have to pay for shipping for this "free" card?
To offset my own costs. You're getting a $50 to $80 card. Don't complain. =)

Why do you have it that I have to buy the card after 6 months if I want to fold for my own points? Folding requires you to burden some of the costs. I'm removing one of the main costs, the retail cost. You can use the card to game, do Physx, etc. I'm only charging 33% of the then retail price after 6 months. Regardless, YOU win, I win, Team 33 wins, everyone wins.

Are you nuts?
Ask my wife.

Last edited:
sounds like a very generous offer!

Thanks for your contributions to the [H]orde!

Sounds like a great idea to me. I wish I had and open slot on my computer for it. I don't think I will be trading in a GTX 260 for your deal though. No offense. Keep it up though man!

Count me in! I'd even put both cards in the boxen and fold under your name just to put them to work...

Count me in! I'd even put both cards in the boxen and fold under your name just to put them to work...

I'll probably keep this a one card per-person for now. The idea is to get more people (outside of this forum) into folding. I basically sent this same post to Kyle and Steve to see what they thought of it.

I have three 8600GT cards, but they are just wasting away on this shelf. I can buy them for around $50/each (or less if in bulk). I was going to build boxes for them, but I just don't have time to maintain a farm (new Dad, school, and work) and its also extra money that could be used to buy more cards. There are plenty of spare PCI express slots out there, i'm sure.

I *was* thinking of doing some type of raffle (money ONLY going into buying new cards) but that presents some problems, and might be repetitive with regards to the Boxen Program.

I'll start this program as soon as I get more feedback. Just as long as people use these cards to FOLD, i'm for it. Though I might just buy ONE 8800GS per month. It folds more than two 8600GT cards put together and is less money. Maybe a raffel to win this card with the only reason is to FOLD ?

I need feedback...

General thought: Awesome committment to the cause!

Specific Thought: Why 8600GT cards? As someone who is getting rid of a faulty old 86GT as soon as my 8800GS/9600GSO gets here, you'd get more pernts for the cause for less money by going with the 88GS/96GSO - unless you have a box of 86GT cards just laying around, one 88GS/96GSO will cost less than two 86GT, and will give about 150% the points...

For example -
2 86GT x $50 = $100, nets 3,000-3,400 ppd
1 88GS/96GSO x $90, nets 4,500 ppd

But whatever you choose to go with, it's damn generous, so I'll shut up now! :D

edit: okay, you DO have a box of 86GT's laying around :D I agree, go to the 88GS ASAP for max pernts.

Great initiative, this is very appreciated and show the essence of the [H]orde :)

I'd do a single 8800GS/GT.

That said, this a great idea and I don't think it conflicts with a thing.

Boxen folding, that is the end goal for everyone!

This is great, mighty generous of you.

Count me in as well. Just getting started on folding, lots of boxen to fill up.

Yes that really does sounds like a good offer and is very kind of you to do that keep up with the good work buddy.:)

Got a server (part time gaming) sitting at home that is currently folding 23.9/7 with CPU. Only PC with PCI-E at home. The PC I mainly use is AGP :( Someday when I have more money post college I'll build a new PC so I can finally retire the old Athlon XP 2100+.

once per day

or

once over the course of 3 days?

will you verify that the person is folding for team 33?

posting a badge in this thread is a great way to do that.

Only submit one email only once over the course of 3 days. So, if you're interested only send one email. If this were a raffle i'd suggest buy as many tickets as you want. But this is a "no purchase" drawing. Just don't send multiple emails to try to get a card. You will need a minimum of 100 posts to get a card. AS FOR NOW...i'm only leaving this thread in this forum.

As for verification that they are folding for team 33, PLEASE BE HONEST. If something seems fishy I will call you on it. I might update the rules to include a badge to be posted on their current folding settings.

Super idea, DogChainX. I think this is just the thing to inspire a few more folks to come into the fold.

You could add the need to show a badge just to sign up... i.e., a badge showing a T33 setup but no current score could suffice.

bump. anyone know the MOD for this forum? I'd like this to become a sticky and change the title.

update: also, i've gone through the numbers and to keep this project alive I had to change one condition. This is down to logistics and funds:

-You fold under my name (Dogchainx) for the first 6 months. After that, IF you fold for your own points after the 6th month mark, you agree to buy the card for 1/3 the retail price or send the card back to me. (i'm not making money on this project!)

This will help with future purchases of cards, makes the cards inexpensive, etc, but still retains the intention of this project.

I think 1/3 the retail price of the card at the time of the 6 month mark. Not today's prices. An 8800GS card might be $60, so for $20 its a great deal. This will GREATLY help this project.

Any feedback is welcome.

bump. anyone know the MOD for this forum? I'd like this to become a sticky and change the title.

update: also, i've gone through the numbers and to keep this project alive I had to change one condition. This is down to logistics and funds:

-You fold under my name (Dogchainx) for the first 6 months. After that, IF you fold for your own points after the 6th month mark, you agree to buy the card for 1/3 the retail price or send the card back to me. (i'm not making money on this project!)

This will help with future purchases of cards, makes the cards inexpensive, etc, but still retains the intention of this project.

I think 1/3 the retail price of the card at the time of the 6 month mark. Not today's prices. An 8800GS card might be $60, so for $20 its a great deal. This will GREATLY help this project.

Any feedback is welcome.

PM me with the desired title and I'll arrange something with the admin ;)

Well, so far only 3 people have joined in for this weekend's drawing of two 8600GT cards.

As my father always says, what is better than a high numerator? A low denominator!

(2 cards per 3 people = 66% of people getting a card)

If either of the cards are passive (I've got a low noise only system...) I'd most definitely be in for one.

I'd *love* to fold for the [H] now that I've got free utilities :D

They aren't passive, but you can make it passive if you buy an add-on cooler.

They aren't passive, but you can make it passive if you buy an add-on cooler.

Actually, I just got my 4870 up and folding, and I'll be getting my Q6600 online ASAP...

It wouldn't be fair to take advantage of your offer anymore (not to mention I'm sure the GPU clients wouldn't enjoy working together, on different GPU's, of different architectures lol).

I wonder what the total power requirement for a 4870 and a Q6600 is...

Eh, ok, so you want to send me a card to fold under your name and use my power for it?

LOL, good luck with that one, at least send people a decent card that they can game with if you're going to be wasting their power most of the time.

Eh, ok, so you want to send me a card to fold under your name and use my power for it?

LOL, good luck with that one, at least send people a decent card that they can game with if you're going to be wasting their power most of the time.

You don't understand the concept of folding nor this project. Go read it again.

You don't understand the concept of folding nor this project. Go read it again.

Hey, when your pushing 6 mill, let me know how you understand the project so much better then I.

Rack up your own points instead of using someone elses power to do it and giving them a discount on a crap card in 6 months. Doing something for the team is sending the cards out to folders provided they fold for the team, not for you.

Hey, when your pushing 6 mill, let me know how you understand the project so much better then I.

Rack up your own points instead of using someone elses power to do it and giving them a discount on a crap card in 6 months. Doing something for the team is sending the cards out to folders provided they fold for the team, not for you.

Folding isn't about points unless you're a whore to them. Folding is about the community getting together and burdening the costs to find cures. Which one are you? The whore, or part of the community?

If you have a suggestion on how to run this project, let me know. Simply crapping on the project does no one any good. I'm buying the cards and out most of the money for them.

Sending out 280 GTX cards just isn't cost effective, 8800GS cards are the best price point. I have 8600GT cards as well that do just fine for PPD, so I'll give those out too. I have a spare 8600GT card. Do you want to install that and help out the project?

Then why are we supposed to be folding under your username?

Good point. It allows me to keep track of this project to see if people actually use the cards for folding and see if this project is sustainable. I'm not here to buy everyone a PhysX card or something they can sell on ebay. :D

Then you could make the cards a name to fold under, like how the community boxen program is set up.

Perfect, that was my point. Thanks for doing this for the team.

oh very good. I didn't want this to come to some pissing match. :D

I'm really wanting this project to succeed. This isn't just to fill the extra PCI-E slots of those in this forum, but to excite non-folding members to get into folding too.

I think we got off on the wrong foot. I apologize for being so defensive. I'm passionate about this project. Monday two cards are being shipped off. :cool:

Thanks Dog. I'm gonna pair this up with my other 86gt. Let me know what name you want it under.

Fold [H]ard!

Is that a separate name per card? Or 1 name for all the cards to use?
If it was separate name per card then you could keep track of them and see if they are being used.

Interesting idea. I will keep that in mind, but until I fear the cards are just being sold on ebay I'll keep this under one name. I'm going to try the honor system first, and maybe figure another way to verify that the cards are indeed folding.

Excellent idea. I'll setup a name just for that purpose. :cool:

Is that a separate name per card? Or 1 name for all the cards to use?
If it was separate name per card then you could keep track of them and see if they are being used.

Back