MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
Single:

720011_640gig.jpg

Matrix RAID Striped Portion:

720011_640gigStripe.jpg

Old 7200.11 500 gig Striped Portion:

HDTune3.jpg

Nice, those look like some pretty good results. I'm thinking of getting 12 of 7200.11's in the not too distant future for my raid 5 array.

Sweet. Definitely the Seagate 640GB drive for future builds.

Icing on the cake is that the latest version of Acronis True Image/ Seagate Disc Wizard recognizes and will migrate RAID volumes, which it didn't do before. Did I mention it's free if you own a Seagate/Maxtor drive?

I eagerly await Techreport's review (if one is coming sometime). Somehow, though, I'm not sure Seagate will impress with the benchmarks, since they weren't able to with their other 7200.11s.

Arconis True Image is free if you own a Seagate drive? Or that Seagate Disc Wizard util? :p

The real question here is, how does the 7200.11 640GB compare to the WD6400AAKS?! Well, it's the question on my mind anyway... Getting one or the other soon, heh. Was going for the WD, because of it's speed, before Seagate launched their 320GB platter equivalent, it should be comparable I'm guessing... Only $5 more at the Egg, 2 years longer on the ol' warranty, hmm.

Arconis True Image is free if you own a Seagate drive? Or that Seagate Disc Wizard util? :p
Actually Seagate Disc Wizard is a stripped down version of Acronis True Image. 5 year warranty plus the Acronis software is worth the $5 extra:D

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up... I've been using Ghost for a while but yea, the warranty alone is probably worth the $5 regardless of how close the performance is to the WD or not, it's gonna be close enough.

I actually have the Western Digtial 640 as well, but one of my sales guys has it. He should be bringing it back by on Friday for me to update his VMWares. I'll do a quick HDTune on it when I get it.

I posted bunch of WD64000aaks benchmarks in this post
Looks like the drives are very comparable. The wd have slightly better access time.

OP: I see you short stroked your raid 0 array, can you please post a bench of raid 0 array using the whole drives?

I've already migrated my data over onto this array. I should be getting more of these next week and I'll stripe the whole array and post scores when they come in.

Thanks for posting that, interesting contrast between the avg transfer rate and the access time of the two dirves... I suppose the difference's small enough that you wouldn't really notice it either way tho.

These new 640GB Seagate's look to be a bit faster then WD's, but WD's access times look a bit lower.

I'm interested to know which one to buy.
I'm replacing 2 320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 and I need a performance upgrade.
Maybe two 640GB in RAID 0 and RAID 1 different partitions?

Whoa, that seek time is terrible. Even your old 500GB striped beats it. There's more to drives than transfer rates guys. Either this drive is junk or there's something wrong with your config.

Whoa, that seek time is terrible. Even your old 500GB striped beats it. There's more to drives than transfer rates guys. Either this drive is junk or there's something wrong with your config.

seek times are consistantly in the high 12's to low 14's from what i've seen of personal benchmarks online... :(

WD FTW :D

It could just be a firmware bug similar to WD's issue on the 320GB single platter design.

Seagate Utility is just a new version of Maxtor's Maxblast4, which could migrate sata-raid stuff for a couple years now... it was the reason I stuck with having a Maxtor IDE drive in the system, just to use that utility :eek::rolleyes::p

Back