Little warm? Foxconn 780G $66

meh. im looking for a cheap upgrade, but I'm not sure I'd go with this brand. Anyone else?

They make EVGA's boards and EVGA can't RMA their boards for crap so um its a toss up. LOL

The two Foxconn boards I've used have been just fine. Worked well, overclocked enough for the needs of the people I built them for, good options, good prices. I would buy a Foxconn again. Decent deal, OP. Thanks. If my Gigabyte 780g gives me any more fits I'm going with something like this probably.

Bah. Wouldn't work. No E-SATA and no Firewire. I got too many drives for this foxconn... :(

Foxconn is the company that actually makes all the reference boards for BFG, EVGA, XFX and even quite a few AMD boards. Very solid boards.

I can personally vouch for the 780G, but I've never owned a foxconn

I used one for my fathers build, highly recommended if your looking for a good solid basic machine. fastest one board video I have seen, I really couldn't test the sound with his crappy speakers but performance wise its pretty good.

I heard Foxconn has given linux users the finger. Since then I haven't bought one.

Bah. Wouldn't work. No E-SATA and no Firewire. I got too many drives for this foxconn... :(
And no optical audio is icing on the cake i'm afraid. Too bad, i was gonna consider it for my secondary HTPC's but i don't feel like spending an extra $20 on each spdif bracket :(. Looks like it's time to research the alternatives or just get another gigabyte.

Good deal if you need the 780G chipset but don't need all the onboard goodies.

And no optical audio is icing on the cake i'm afraid. Too bad, i was gonna consider it for my secondary HTPC's but i don't feel like spending an extra $20 on each spdif bracket :(. Looks like it's time to research the alternatives or just get another gigabyte.

Good deal if you need the 780G chipset but don't need all the onboard goodies.

Agreed. For $25 more you can get the Gigabyte with firewire, e-sata, & optical. Worth it IMHO because I use them, but for those who don't need it, the Foxconn should do the trick.

It's been this price for a while... I think LegitReviews has a review on the Foxconn.

Anybody know if this motherboard has the internal SPDIF audio pins onboard? Because if it does then here's a cheap solution for getting coaxial spdif audio for only $6.70 shipped:

- Scroll down to "RCA VIDEO / SPDIF INTERNAL", add it to your cart then purchase it.
- Use your motherboard manual figure out the spdif pin-layout
- Connect the dongle's white wire to the pin labeled "SPDIF"
- Then connect the dongle's black wire to the pin labeled "GND" (ground) (there may be more than one ground pin, not sure which one is correct or if there's any difference)
- You "may" need to rearrange the wire pins for a proper connection, should be real easy if so.
- Remember to configure the audio control panel and all of the software involved for digital surround.

Edit: Apparently there are spdif pins onboard, check out page 15 in the motherboard manual. The pin layout looks real easy too.

They make EVGA's boards and EVGA can't RMA their boards for crap so um its a toss up. LOL

Ehem.

They dont make boards for EVGA, they only provide some of the components/chips on the motherboard for them.

And the only reason why someone wouldn't have been able to RMA a board is because they have no idea what they're doing while building the computer, and possibly physically damaging the board as well. Or the board is fine when it's returned, so the customer is simply...well, doing it wrong.

I heard Foxconn has given linux users the finger. Since then I haven't bought one.

A few idiots at Foxconn said they didn't support Linux but that's not the official company policy. Foxconn has offically appolgized to the linux community and pledged full support for linux. The issue was tracked down to errors made by the bios writer. Foxconn leaned on them and got the bugs fixed. Foxconn quickly provided a beta bios and followed up with a full release. Here's the final resolution:

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com...es-repaired-bios-dos-is-fast-on-a-core-2-duo/

That's the blogger who discovered the flaw. If you're bored you can read through the whole sorded story here.

I'm a big linux proponent and just bought a Foxconn board.

A few idiots at Foxconn said they didn't support Linux but that's not the official company policy. Foxconn has offically appolgized to the linux community and pledged full support for linux. The issue was tracked down to errors made by the bios writer. Foxconn leaned on them and got the bugs fixed. Foxconn quickly provided a beta bios and followed up with a full release. Here's the final resolution:

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com...es-repaired-bios-dos-is-fast-on-a-core-2-duo/

That's the blogger who discovered the flaw. If you're bored you can read through the whole sorded story here.

I'm a big linux proponent and just bought a Foxconn board.

that is nice to hear.

Back