Stupid question... Do I enable or disable Crossfire with 4870x2?

lobski

Limp Gawd
I have a single 4870x2, do I need to enable Crossfire, or is that only for 'actual' Crossfire (two 4870x2's) setups?

its already on!! just plug and play!!

Its only if you have an additional video card that you enable crossfire.

If you only have a single 4870x2, there shouldn't even be a crossfire tab in CCC. It's always on unless you disable Catalyst AI in the 3D tab.

its already on!! just plug and play!!

What do you mean "already on"? Crossfire enabled by default? Yes is it, but others here are telling me I have to DISABLE crossfire if I only have one 4870x2.

If you only have a single 4870x2, there shouldn't even be a crossfire tab in CCC. It's always on unless you disable Catalyst AI in the 3D tab.

Well I can disable it with Tray Tools.

So, I take it Crossfire needs to be enabled for a SINGLE 4870x2?

It's funny though, I had to disable Crossfire manually under ATI Tray Tools to run Mercenaries 2.

You DISABLE crossfire. The reason its not in CCC is becuase you only have one card. The 4870x2 is considered one card.. no crossfire. There is a chip on the card that takes care of this already.

You DISABLE crossfire. The reason its not in CCC is becuase you only have one card. The 4870x2 is considered one card.. no crossfire. There is a chip on the card that takes care of this already.

But cross fire is enabled by default for me.

Like others have said, 4870 X2 has internal CrossFire that is automatically enabled by default. However, if you run into games that have issues with multi-GPU setups, you can disable one of the 4870 X2 GPUs by turning off Catalyst AI.

But cross fire is enabled by default for me.

Your telling me crossfire is enabled in CCC for you with a single 4870x2? Or are you talking about ATI Tools which is a third party utility that probably does not correctly support the 4870x2? I have a 4870x2 and there is no option for crossfire in CCC with 3 different driver versions.

You do not have to enable crossfire to get the 4870 X2 to work. You may be able to disable crossfire with the Tray Tools, but you don't have to explicitly enable it to get acceleration.

The CrossFire option will be unavailable with a single 4870 X2 because the linkage is not managed by software. It is done on the hardware, automatically. If you install another card, and your motherboard supports CrossFire, the CrossFire options should appear.

On my 9800 GX2 I was able to disable SLI and run on just 1 of the 2 cards.

Is there a way to do this on the 4870x2? Like can I shut crossfire off?

Why? Well I have some older online games where its not really needed as you get 300+ FPS anyway, and would like to save the power, and have just 1 card do the rendering.

Back