BFG GTX280 OC=fail

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, have had several issues and I am now under the impression that the card is just not going to work well in my system. From what I can tell it is a driver issue, the GTX200 series do not like going through an HDMI ports on my hannspree I think. There is also a direct X 9 problem. Not sure whats going on there. reinstalling drivers, different versions, have had limited success.

I could probably get these items worked out with registry hacks and some work but as I was doing this last night I had to ask myself why? I just paid 440 dollars. I didn't pay the extra for the issues. If I am going to have issues they might as well be the dual GPU kind. I can get two 4850 for hundred less and they will smoke this card in most of the games I play. I don't need to run cyrsis in high on everything (Ironically crysis had NO issues and played reasonably well)

In other words if I am going to have issues with hardware they might as well be the bleeding edge kind. 4870X2 is looking more attractive now that I can't have the GTX 280 without issues. I had never heard of this problem (wasn't paying attention apparently) with the HDMI only monitors.

Further pissing me off is that I also have a GTX 260 that would probably do the same thing. I am just going to sell it.

Thanks for letting me rant. And don't take the title wrong, BFG is a great company and was a real attraction for me when I purchased the card. Paid more for it fact so I could get the BFG. Good company but I sure wish they carried ATI right now. need to call Tiger Direct when I get home.

If you don't mind doing some legwork there is a fix for HDMI EDID issues.

See: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231737
and
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483

On the other hand I have not read any reports from ATI card users having the same problem.
+1. Digital out looked *horrible* for me when I first got my 280. Here is the contents of "nvidiasucks.reg" which I created specifically for this occasion:

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{1F011374-2D25-4315-BA3F-A48443AC832C}\0000]

"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:5C,85,80,51,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

If you have a monitor with 1920x1200 display resolution, you can simply replace the first 4 bytes with your EDID (so mine is 5C858051).

Thanks for the info guys but this didn't seem to work with my hannspree. I may try it again, it seems to work for others so I may need to double check myself. then again this is kind of defeating my reasons for getting this card.

FIXED, only now Crysis runs bad!!!, don't care really. seems to be running fine, fixed it about 3 hours short of taking it out before work.

Thanks for all the help, third time was the charm.

and its back with win 7 home premium and the reg edit isn't working. wonderful.

bumping a necro thread but anyone have any ideas?

Back