Attn Vista users

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Today on Windows Update ...

"Improvements to the stability of systems on which Nvidia graphics cards are installed."

SP1 users only. If you don't have SP1, get it. Both updates can be download via Windows Update in your security tab in Control Panel.

Nice find :D

But does this mean that Vista had a bug..or Microsoft couldn't get NVIDIA to do things right?
Does this meean that all the flak NVDIA has been getting wasn't their fault at all...but Microsofts?

Maybe City of Heroes wont crash all the time now. Open GL error 14 since the latest beta driver.

Thank you for posting this.

Any idea what issue this specifically resolves? I've been having my video card driver randomly stop responding once every day or two, requiring a reboot.

A possible fix for nvlddmkm issues? Who knows... I'm so getting this when I get home from work...

Any idea what issue this specifically resolves? I've been having my video card driver randomly stop responding once every day or two, requiring a reboot.
It's probably the nvlddmkm issue like the other poster above me mentioned. It seems almost impossible that it's not, because it's the biggest nvidia/vista issue.

I dont see this... I got a bunch of security updates but not that, is it not for x64 systems?

It's probably the nvlddmkm issue like the other poster above me mentioned. It seems almost impossible that it's not, because it's the biggest nvidia/vista issue.

I would like to know what was fixed, as a MS patch suggest a MS problem.

I would like to know what was fixed, as a MS patch suggest a MS problem.

It could also be a workaround for an Nvidia problem, although it's most likely that you're correct.

The only update showing for me is KB952709, which has been failing to install every week since released (7.8.2008)

It could also be a workaround for an Nvidia problem, although it's most likely that you're correct.

The only update showing for me is KB952709, which has been failing to install every week since released (7.8.2008)
I agree. It could of been a bug in Vista that was causing the Nvidia Drivers to crash. That's why Nvidia wasn't fixing it, because there was nothing they could fix.

Also, this is off-topic, but was anyone else's folder views reset after you grabbed today's fixes? There was the other fix of 'lost registry keys', and I know the 'Folder View Bug' is all because of registry errors. But anyways, my folders reset after I patched this.

Could actually be something in the middle. nVidia has a problem that causes a crash. However, it isn't something they can fix, it is just the way the hardware works. Thus MS changes the way Vista works, so it isn't a problem anymore. So a case where it is an nVidia problem, but MS has to change Vista since the hardware can't be fixed.

Along the same lines could be a "Both but neither" situation. Vista wants something presented in format X. nVidia drivers can only present it in format Y. However this is because of the fundamental way they work, to fix it would take a major recode. However it only takes a minor Vista change to accept format Y so they do that.

These kind of things often are complex, so just because a company released a patch, doesn't mean it was their fault. nVidia releases patches for games all the time. Sometimes, it is just that they screwed up, their fault, their fix. Other times, the game is screwed up, but nVidia just patches around it to make things better for their customers. Finally in some cases the game just interacts in an unexpected way. It isn't really a fault on either side, and the driver is modified to accommodate it.

So just because a given company patches something, doesn't mean they are the ones at fault. Ultimately I don't care if it makes things work better :D.

Nice find :D

But does this mean that Vista had a bug..or Microsoft couldn't get NVIDIA to do things right?
Does this meean that all the flak NVDIA has been getting wasn't their fault at all...but Microsofts?

Doubtful. If it was MS's fault, it is extremely likely that it would have affected non-nvidia cards as well. The drivers, after all, are supposed to conform to the driver model, in which case a bug in MS's code would affect everyone, meaning either everyone else implemented their own workaround, or more likely MS was getting tired of the constant flood of people reporting a problem with nvidia's drivers and implemented a work around themselves.

I'm going to give this a try. My system is solid for the most part but ever since I installed that third Geforce GTX 280 OC I've had lockups in Crysis. All other games are good though.

Maybe this will fix that.

Could actually be something in the middle. nVidia has a problem that causes a crash. However, it isn't something they can fix, it is just the way the hardware works. Thus MS changes the way Vista works, so it isn't a problem anymore. So a case where it is an nVidia problem, but MS has to change Vista since the hardware can't be fixed.

Along the same lines could be a "Both but neither" situation. Vista wants something presented in format X. nVidia drivers can only present it in format Y. However this is because of the fundamental way they work, to fix it would take a major recode. However it only takes a minor Vista change to accept format Y so they do that.

These kind of things often are complex, so just because a company released a patch, doesn't mean it was their fault. nVidia releases patches for games all the time. Sometimes, it is just that they screwed up, their fault, their fix. Other times, the game is screwed up, but nVidia just patches around it to make things better for their customers. Finally in some cases the game just interacts in an unexpected way. It isn't really a fault on either side, and the driver is modified to accommodate it.

So just because a given company patches something, doesn't mean they are the ones at fault. Ultimately I don't care if it makes things work better :D.

That would be valid, EXCEPT for the fact that Vista uses an entirely new driver model, and has from the beginning. If the OS wants format X, you damn well better give it format X or its the drivers fault. I realize that it was a hypothetical situation, but we are dealing with what basically amounts to a re-write of the driver itself, on a fairly new spec that has yet to have had features hacked on over the years. A clean slate, if you will. I really don't see how there could be a middle ground for this particular situation.

Well, looking at the files associated with the update, it looks like the DirectX kernel is receiving an update and the canonical display driver which I think refers to the base or core of MS display driver architecture is updated also.

I'm going to give this a try. My system is solid for the most part but ever since I installed that third Geforce GTX 280 OC I've had lockups in Crysis. All other games are good though.

Maybe this will fix that.
I used to get Lockups in Crysis. It was all the nv errors.

Hmmm, my 8800gtx had been a bit quirky in some games under certain settings... which resulted in a BSOD pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I got sick of it and picked up a GTX260 and it's been stable so far. I have a couple games where I can test out the 8800 again to see if the BSOD pops up or not. I'll post back later with results.

Or it could be MS patching an Nvidia problem. MS has released hotfixes for other companies products before.

lol.. no. MS doesn't work like that. They don't go out of their way to resolve things like that first off.

Also, the 3rd party companies like AMD and NVIDIA usually hassle MS to let them know what is messed up in their OS and causing problems. They're the ones who push to get the issues fixed because it makes their products look bad. NVIDIA and AMD are more responsive to fixing things quickly than MS is, so I'm gonna say the odds of MS getting "impatient" waiting for NVIDIA to fix something are pretty low.. slim to none. It's almost definitely the other way around.

Never had a problem with my 8800 GT in Vista 64, but I'll try this one out.

??? This was one of last months updates. It installed on my system on 8/12/08. I guess it doesn't do anything as far as improvements, or I would have noticed.

Maybe City of Heroes wont crash all the time now. Open GL error 14 since the latest beta driver.

Thank you for posting this.

U2 huh? I keep getting that too ... I'm running Vista Home Premium(64-bit) .... which flavor are you using?

Coulda just typed last line ...

I downloaded and applied it this morning, but haven't tested yet. I'll test when I get back this weekend. Regardless, it's good to see that _someone_ is taking this issue seriously.

One things that wonders me...if this was an NVIDIA fault...how the hell did they get WHQL drivers?

One things that wonders me...if this was an NVIDIA fault...how the hell did they get WHQL drivers?

I think you take the Q in WHQL a bit too seriously. All WHQL certification really means is that the vendor in question was willing to pay a substantial amount of money to move their product from one list (the unapproved one) to a different list (the approved one).

I think you take the Q in WHQL a bit too seriously. All WHQL certification really means is that the vendor in question was willing to pay a substantial amount of money to move their product from one list (the unapproved one) to a different list (the approved one).

Not true any longer. Any vendor can be a "self certified" site for WHQL, but you still have to pass the WHQL certification tests and send the log files off to MS. And no, you cannot tamper with the logs as they are encrypted upon completion.

I am glad this topic came up. I lookup into this update and saw it includes updates to networking. I have been having problems with my wireless connection for about 3 weeks or so, and found this update to be the source of the problem. Wireless was constantly showing as "Local only", and disconnected frequently. It also would not reconnect if I put my laptop to sleep and woke it up again. I just uninstalled this update, and it seems to have resolved the problem. I now have this POS update blocked from installing again. If anybody has been having problems with their network connection since last month's updates, get rid of this thing.

I installed it last night, I noticed my Vista 3D program changer comes up a lot faster now :rolleyes:

Back