4870x2, Artifacting...Confused.

Ozona

n00b
Hi guys - curious if anyone else is having problems 4870x2 and artifacting?

I'm getting random flickering green and red pixels on my monitor, a Sammy 244T.

I have an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard, and currently an HIS 4870x2 and an Thermaltake toughpower 1200w power supply. Vista Ultimate x64.

You guys seeing these artifacts?

I've also seen this exact same artifacting problem on a PaLIT 4870x2, that I returned.

It looks like it might be a problem with the video ram? Anyone else seeing this?

I've tried these video cards in two computers, one is an Intel motherboard and this one is an Asus, same exact problem.

You can see it in this picture I took, looks like red rain on the Vista close.

Ideas? :confused:

Two cards with the exact problem is probably other hardware, especially since this hasn't been an issue for anyone else that I've read about. Is it a fresh Vista install with 8.8 drivers?

I dunno, but this seems like a montior problem to me.

It's not a monitor problem, My 244T works fine with my 8800GT at the same resolutions.

Here's another picture, it's hard to take a photo of the LCD screen with my crappy camera.

The artifacts look like green speckles on this picture on the picture in the middle.

These 4870x2's do this exact same thing on two completely different systems, every piece of hardware in the system is different. I should add that my wife's PC has an ATI 4850 in it, works great, no problems. The 4870x2 in that system does the same artifacting. :( :confused: :confused:

Here's another pic, the red dotted bar thing is artifacts, and you can see the green "snow" or artifacts on the guy's face.

It's not a monitor problem, My 244T works fine with my 8800GT at the same resolutions.

Here's another picture, it's hard to take a photo of the LCD screen with my crappy camera.

The artifacts look like green speckles on this picture on the picture in the middle.

These 4870x2's do this exact same thing on two completely different systems, every piece of hardware in the system is different. I should add that my wife's PC has an ATI 4850 in it, works great, no problems. The 4870x2 in that system does the same artifacting. :( :confused: :confused:

Here's another pic, the red dotted bar thing is artifacts, and you can see the green "snow" or artifacts on the guy's face.

If you tested it on another system, with the same results, I think there's really no question that you got a bad card. RMA it.

Did you try the cards individually?

Also, are the artifacts visible before you install the drivers?

Hi folks - I wanted to post that I solved the issue so that others that might run into the problem have a potential fix.

First, and most importantly, my home brew system, Sammy 244T and nVidia 8800GT played along perfectly together, no issues, no excitement, no artifacts at all.

I went to best buy and bought another monitor, a 25.5" samsung 260.

Pulled the DVI and the power cord out of the 244, plugged it right into the 260. #$@#$@#$ SAME ISSUE.

So....just for the sake of trying something, I grabbed the monitor cord out of the box the sammy came in. Crap, too short. Then I remembered I bought a "premium" (I know, insert eye rolling here) 10' DVI cable at Frys. I think you can see where this is going.

Well..I moved my monitor closer to the PC to try out the cable that came with it...and guess what. The problem disappeared. Fixed.

Ran out and got another 10' DVI cable, put things back where they should go, and everything is fine.

The "old" DVI cable worked just fine with the 244T and the 8800GT nvidia card, there are *no* issues.

The "old" DVI cable and the 4870x2 & 244T/260, green and red "snow" or flickering pixels as in the pictures above.

New DVI cable....problem is solved....after hours and hours of fiddling with just about everything you can imagine, PCs, cards, monitors, etc. THE STUPID CABLE! is incompatible somehow with the 4870x2!! :eek: :D

Anyways, all solved. Thanks for the suggestions. :D

Back